• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Make PMs go to first unread, not last post
1 1

Question

7 answers to this question

• Administrator

This is apparently a bug / "feature request" which is a bit silly to me, but I filed it with Invision. IF you click on the PM from the notifications pop up then you go straight to new posts in a pm thread. If you do it from the full screen inbox, you don't.

Invision hasn't said when/if they'll fix this, but since the function is already there it seems like a dead-simple fix to me. Maybe we'll fix it ourselves if they don't do anything about it, but for now it's stalled.

I miss the way the PM lists were before, I love the search function, but I can't seem to get a complete list of recent pms so I can just go down the list and make sure I've answered everyone. I've tried the settings, but I keep missing recent posts from people. I can find them by searching, but I'd have to remember. I have one person pming me from two threads, I see his name and I keep thinking I answered already, but it's in the other thread.

I just ran a sales thread, before I could go down the list, see who answered and make sure I answered everything. I'm answering a day later because I had to go back to the thread to see who I might have missed and then do searches.

Is this still the glitch in pms?

Even if you could list all pms from a certain period of time it would help, like last 3 days?

I've tried the setting pms I've started, that SHOULD list all the recent ones, but it doesn't, I'm getting some old pms mixed in.

I hope we never need another charity thread, but if we do, this will be a nightmare.

Best plus is I can add people to a PM...

Oh and all the PMs Greggy ditched must be back:):devil:

• Administrator
On 3/7/2017 at 6:11 PM, skypinkblu said:

I miss the way the PM lists were before, I love the search function, but I can't seem to get a complete list of recent pms so I can just go down the list and make sure I've answered everyone. I've tried the settings, but I keep missing recent posts from people. I can find them by searching, but I'd have to remember. I have one person pming me from two threads, I see his name and I keep thinking I answered already, but it's in the other thread.

I just ran a sales thread, before I could go down the list, see who answered and make sure I answered everything. I'm answering a day later because I had to go back to the thread to see who I might have missed and then do searches.

Is this still the glitch in pms?

Even if you could list all pms from a certain period of time it would help, like last 3 days?

I've tried the setting pms I've started, that SHOULD list all the recent ones, but it doesn't, I'm getting some old pms mixed in.

I hope we never need another charity thread, but if we do, this will be a nightmare.

Best plus is I can add people to a PM...

Oh and all the PMs Greggy ditched must be back:):devil:

I'm not sure I really understand the issue.  This sounds like what you would do is go to inbox, and use the "Filter By" drop down to show only the unread items. Is that not working for some reason?

Also, even without the filter, the default sort order should be the recent stuff on top, so that's not exactly unread, but anything brand new should be on the top of the list, so that is de facto, for example the last three days by just scrolling down through 3 days worth of PMs...

Filtering by PMs you started is definitely not all the recent ones, it's just all of the PMs where you were first person to send the message. If it's sorted by most recent, then the most recent ones YOU STARTED would be on top, but then it would skip a bunch of PMs you didn't start to show you the next one you did start...

I think I'm missing some key assumption about all of this and/or how you're doing it, because these things seem like they shouldn't be a problem?

1 hour ago, Architecht said:

I'm not sure I really understand the issue.  This sounds like what you would do is go to inbox, and use the "Filter By" drop down to show only the unread items. Is that not working for some reason?

Also, even without the filter, the default sort order should be the recent stuff on top, so that's not exactly unread, but anything brand new should be on the top of the list, so that is de facto, for example the last three days by just scrolling down through 3 days worth of PMs...

Filtering by PMs you started is definitely not all the recent ones, it's just all of the PMs where you were first person to send the message. If it's sorted by most recent, then the most recent ones YOU STARTED would be on top, but then it would skip a bunch of PMs you didn't start to show you the next one you did start...

I think I'm missing some key assumption about all of this and/or how you're doing it, because these things seem like they shouldn't be a problem?

No, it was not working. I'd get a list before, using  the default and I'd see two from today, 1 from 6 months ago, then another one from last week.  They seemed to be totally random and I was missing pms totally unless I did a search for them.

Now it seems to be fine, the default is in date order which I can easily deal with and the unread button works now.  Thank you to whomever fixed it! Great job.

I haven't tried it on my phone yet, this is on a pc.

BTW, is there an easy  way to go back to the default after you pick "unread" ? Because I don't see an option for that in the dropdown, so I've been backing up and restarting?

• Administrator
16 hours ago, skypinkblu said:

No, it was not working. I'd get a list before, using  the default and I'd see two from today, 1 from 6 months ago, then another one from last week.  They seemed to be totally random and I was missing pms totally unless I did a search for them.

Now it seems to be fine, the default is in date order which I can easily deal with and the unread button works now.  Thank you to whomever fixed it! Great job.

BTW, is there an easy  way to go back to the default after you pick "unread" ? Because I don't see an option for that in the dropdown, so I've been backing up and restarting?

We didn't do any fixes, but I am glad it is working for you.

After you filter by unread just go to the same drop down and pick all.

• Administrator
16 hours ago, skypinkblu said:

I think I see the issue. On mobile if you use the phone's back button after reading a pm it shows no more messages and does not provide the filter drop down. Try clicking the "message list" button near the top instead.

1 1