• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

John Richard Flanagan
3 3

218 posts in this topic

4 hours ago, october said:

Just looked up his CAF account. Jaw dropping collection. 

I can't even imagine what else he isn't showing us.  Looking at those images really tests one's resolve in trying to focus their collecting habits!  ...now I need a whole other room to dedicate to Colliers, Blue Book, Good Housekeeping, etc from the 1930's!!  This guy was really good!

3 hours ago, Yorick said:

Yep!  It should be posted on page one.  The man's face on Adventure 38 is not so typical of Flanagan, but the man's shirt and background plants/vegetation give it away.

+1

On 2/6/2019 at 9:04 PM, IngelsFan said:

My two copies of Adventure 37 

82047F57-7A84-4950-88C3-EA09CA23CE88.jpeg

I had two copies of the More Fun 48 at one point, and I told myself I needed to get one of them into the hands of another collector.  What if something happened to my collection?  The destruction of TWO of the same rare books would be horrible and unnecessary.  Those both look better than my copy.  Maybe you should get rid of one...:baiting:

On 2/6/2019 at 9:06 PM, RareHighGrade said:

Is his only other cover Adventure 38?  I guess Double Action 2 would technically qualify as well.

Yes and yes!

Interesting that the top three graded copies of Adventure 38 are either resorted or qualified, with the best blue label coming in at 7.5.

I own the 9.4 copy, the book is freakin’ unreal (looks brand new), alas the cover has been cleaned so it got a purple label.

One can really appreciate the depth of Flanagan’s talent looking at these superb covers...

Edited by sacentaur

On 2/10/2019 at 11:51 AM, mwotka said:

I was scanning a few more 1939 books for that thread, but didn't want to miss cross-posting them here.  I'm interested to learn more about this artist.  It surprises me how often he is mis-attributed for Flessel, including on CGC labels.  Hopefully they have their info correct now.  My copies are very rough, but I love the covers, and they are so rare I'm just happy to have them.  

Adventure Comics 39.jpg

More Fun 48.jpg

They are not missing the covers... so that makes them PERFECT!

1 hour ago, sacentaur said:

Interesting that the top three graded copies of Adventure 38 are either resorted or qualified, with the best blue label coming in at 7.5.

I own the 9.4 copy, the book is freakin’ unreal (looks brand new), alas the cover has been cleaned so it got a purple label.

One can really appreciate the depth of Flanagan’s talent looking at these superb covers...

I was going to post the census data for these (since there are so few Flanagan covers), but something came up and pulled me away from getting it done.  It was enlightening looking at the numbers.  Some I thought were rarer than others are flipped in the census numbers.

I don't believe you have a 9.4 Adventure 38.  Just not possible.  Post a pic....:baiting::devil:

:gossip: I just noticed that there's a MF 48 in the current Clink auction.  It doesn't look bad for a 3.5.

https://www.comiclink.com/auctions/item.asp?back=%2FAUCTIONS%2FSEARCH.ASP%3FFocusedOnly%3D1%26where%3Dauctions%26title%3Dmore%2Bfun%26GO%3DGO%26ItemType%3DCB%23Item_1363264&id=1363264&itemType=0

They also have a New Adventure 25 (cover by Flessel, not Flannagan), which is one of the toughest issues to find.