• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

John Richard Flanagan
3 3

218 posts in this topic

23 hours ago, dzminn said:

This reference document from 2002 provides some nice background about Colliers magazine and Sax Rohmer, including some artist information.

http://philsp.com/SaxRohmer/Collier.htm

That's great. I didn't know that Flanagan was preceded in illustrating Sax Rohmer by the equally great Joseph Clement Coll. A large book featuring all the Coll and Flanagan illustrations of Rohmer would be outstanding. it won't happen, but I can dream.

On 5/22/2020 at 10:09 AM, dzminn said:

This reference document from 2002 provides some nice background about Colliers magazine and Sax Rohmer, including some artist information.

http://philsp.com/SaxRohmer/Collier.htm

Some of the information in that is misleading, but there are bits of information that is new to me.  I have been working from this resource:

https://www.pulpartists.com/Flanagan.html

On 5/22/2020 at 2:21 AM, Sarg said:

This is the first time I've seen CGC credit Flanagan on their labels.

Didn't you see the graded books already posted in this thread?  :baiting:  CGC has been recognizing Flanagan on all of his Adventure covers for some time.  It was the More Fun's that were not credited.

Edited by Yorick
MY BAD. My photos are lousy and I cannot read the labels.

I found the publication of one of those originals auctioned by HA.  Of course, it's one of those expensive issues with a Benda cover!  (I don't own this book - or the original art   :cry:):

Colliers 1930.03.08 Fu Manchu's Daughter.jpg

On 5/15/2020 at 6:32 AM, Sarg said:

I have two of these reprints. #1 (Case of the Six Coffins) is definitely Flanagan, which I was delighted to discover. The other one I have, #4, is a different, inferior artist. Does anyone have #2 or #3? Do they have Flanagan interiors?

I bought a big lot of High Adventure editions which included Case of the Yellow Mask (Flanagan) and Case of the Scarlet Feather (Flanagan).  Other Wu Fang's/Yen Sin's in the group which did NOT have Flanagan art were Mystery of the Golden Skull, Mystery of the Singing Mummies, Case of the Suicide Tomb, and Case of the Black Lotus.

On 5/31/2020 at 8:32 AM, IngelsFan said:

Spot illos, right? Not panel pages.

You got it.  Ballyhoo April 1932 (Dell Publishing).  I had read about this "precursor to comic books" series in Wooley's History of the Comic Book, but I didn't care too much until I read a line on the pulpartists website which briefly noted Flanagan had done some work for Ballyhoo between 31 and 33.  I saw a few affordable issues and bought them - taking a gamble that I'd find something fun.  I was beginning to get depressed after getting halfway through the Ballyhoo issue with no success.  And then I was gloriously rewarded.

Just some context here: Ballyhoo is MAD Magazine.  Or I should write, MAD Magazine is Ballyhoo.  Ballyhoo is parody and spoof and many of the interior "fake" advertisements made me laugh.  The Flanagan piece I stumbled upon is spoofing his Colliers work.  Pretty great, "Jollier's, The National Weekly".

Ballyhoo (3).JPG

Flanagan was known to the owners of Detective Comics. Indeed, he was one of the artists that Jerry Siegel had approached to illustrate the then unpublished Superman strip. “About ten or fifteen years ago,” he recalled in 1953, “I got a letter from a fellow named Jerry Siegel. He said he had an idea for a comic strip which he would entitle Superman. He wanted me to do the art for the strip, I thought he was crazy, and I still do – a million dollars’ worth.[11]” The time frame of fifteen years or so previous places Siegel’s letter to Flanagan in 1937 – 1938. Siegel had approached others to either take over from Joe Shuster or assist him but was turned down. As it stands, there would have been no way that Flanagan would have turned down work to produce the number of pages required for a full comic book for less than he could make drawing a single illustration. In hindsight, it was easy for him to refuse.

[11] Famed Artist Turned Down Offer To Draw Superman. Sunday News (Pennsylvania). 1 March 1953

:whatthe:

I found this great bit of info recently on 20th Century Oh Danny Boy's blog/website.  I need to track down that article and read the whole thing!!!

If anyone is looking for big Flanagan bang-for-the-buck, The Story of the Other Wise Man (1923 Van Dyke memorial edition) has "...eight four-color plates and fifty-one line drawings by the eminent Australian artist, J. R. Flanagan, and is printed throughout in two colors."  I found a very nice copy with dust-jacket for less than $10.  The story was quite read-able too!

The interior artwork is signed "Jack Flanagan" and dated 1919.  I believe this may be the very end of his "Jack" days, as the dust-jacket and interior title page credit him as "J. R."

The dust-jacket image is printed inside too, so don't be put off if you want a copy and can't find one with the dust-jacket.

The Story of the Other Wise Man EDIT 001.jpg

The Story of the Other Wise Man EDIT 002.jpg

The Story of the Other Wise Man EDIT 003.jpg

The Story of the Other Wise Man EDIT 004.jpg

On 5/17/2020 at 5:01 PM, RareHighGrade said:

The magazine drawings being posted in this thread are amazing; they actually make his comic book covers seem pedestrian by comparison.

I felt that his non-comic work really showcased his talent:

1921:

I1c4XP4.jpg

1926:

AWdToBG.jpg

1927:

gRfebvp.jpg

1937:

cykgJok.jpg

1948:

BSu8PIw.jpg

Bonus pics just for fun: