• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

John Richard Flanagan
3 3

218 posts in this topic

18 hours ago, RareHighGrade said:

Flanagan's only More Fun cover (#48) is currently sitting at over 4x Guide in Heritage's Sunday auction.  He's getting the respect he's due:

More Fun Comics #48 (DC, 1939) CGC GD/VG 3.0 Off-white to white | Lot #11436 | Heritage Auctions (ha.com)

The quality of paper on that copy looks incredible.

On 5/17/2020 at 6:47 AM, Sarg said:

I was trying to locate the original source for Flanagan's "White Princess of Africa" (my title). After doing some Internet research, I discovered that it was printed in Arthur L. Guptill's book Drawing with Pen and Ink (1930). Then I realized that I had this book. D'oh! doh!

This was originally printed in Collier's. His signature says "20," so I assume this means it was drawn in 1920 and presumably printed that year. I'd love to find the original source.

1-17-1925.

You are welcome.  :bigsmile:

On 8/7/2021 at 4:49 PM, Sarg said:

Collier's 9 November 1929

My notes indicate that is the last Flanagan issue of 1929.  I've been working really hard to get my index far enough along so that I might share it with some die-hard Flanagan fans here.

Another thing: the Society of Illustrators has a comic themed exhibit in NY going right now, but in their permanent collection are (at least) two Flanagan originals.  Any East Coast Flanagan fans might want to check that out.  If you can't make it, check out their website (they have shared images of the two Flanagans in their collection).

On 5/4/2021 at 4:03 PM, Yorick said:

For the last several years (since creating this thread), I have been drafting a list of every Flanagan publication I can find.  My spreadsheet now has over 300 publications.  It is mind-blowing that such a prolific and respected artist has essentially disappeared from illustration art history.

Yes. It doesn't give one a great deal of confidence in "illustration art history." Flanagan was a regular contributor to two of the main magazines for illustration in the 1920s-30s, Collier's and Blue Book. It's not like he was some obscure figure who only published in little known places. 

On 8/8/2021 at 10:19 AM, Sarg said:

Yes. It doesn't give one a great deal of confidence in "illustration art history." Flanagan was a regular contributor to two of the main magazines for illustration in the 1920s-30s, Collier's and Blue Book. It's not like he was some obscure figure who only published in little known places. 

His output was immense.  From Aug 1921 through 1922, he almost has an illustration in every issue of Colliers (such as the "letters from readers" header which gets reprinted every issue).  When he started at Colliers, it seems he was given the "newbie" task of spot illustrations, and nearly all of it is unsigned or printed too small to distinguish his hand.

If anyone wants to help me, I'm stuck trying to find Flanagan's edition of The Rubaiyat of Omar Khayyam.  Done sometime in or around 1921.

On 8/8/2021 at 1:19 PM, Sarg said:

Yes. It doesn't give one a great deal of confidence in "illustration art history."

There are many great illustrators who haven't had their due. Unfortunately the field seems to be dying somewhat and it takes a diligent researcher like Yorick here to care enough to do the research and put it together. @Yorick if no articles have been done on Flanagan, you should see if Illustration magazine will take your checklist for a feature.

On 8/7/2021 at 4:54 PM, Yorick said:

My notes indicate that is the last Flanagan issue of 1929.  I've been working really hard to get my index far enough along so that I might share it with some die-hard Flanagan fans here.

REALLY looking forward to seeing that list!

Sad day... I just removed three Colliers issues from my list.  Lambdin's style is quite similar to Flanagan, and they both worked on Rohmer stories.

On 8/9/2021 at 7:08 PM, Yorick said:

Sad day... I just removed three Colliers issues from my list.  Lambdin's style is quite similar to Flanagan, and they both worked on Rohmer stories.

Does anyone have an example of Lambdin? 

Good news... maybe?  I don't have the issues yet, but I might be adding some more pulps to my list.  I can't imagine Flanagan being brought in half-way through a multi-part story.  I have confirmed parts 3 and 4 of a 6 part story.  Parts 5 and 6 are on my list, but parts 1 and 2 are not.  Weird.

On 8/9/2021 at 5:57 AM, Surfing Alien said:

There are many great illustrators who haven't had their due. Unfortunately the field seems to be dying somewhat and it takes a diligent researcher like Yorick here to care enough to do the research and put it together. @Yorick if no articles have been done on Flanagan, you should see if Illustration magazine will take your checklist for a feature.

I like that idea.  Illustration magazine is great, and I'm having a rough time editing my scans for print (pulp scanning shows all that paper grain and browning).  Maybe I'll just let them do it!