• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Bring back "My Watched Lists"
1 1

Question

Can we bring back simple, easy to figure out Watched Lists.

Basically, on the old Boards, you clicked "Edit Watched Forums" and it would give you a complete list of every Subforum with a Column "Watched" and below it: "Yes" or "No".

This made it very easy to follow your favorite subforums all in one spot instead of having to go into the seperate, individual  subforums.

7 answers to this question

I didn't quote you & I see that you follow this.   Did you get a notification?  

I tested an activity feed on a CG thread, scrolled all the way down changing preferences and saved but it didn't alert me when someone posted.  

It could be functionality that isn't installed yet.  My activity feed shows -  The search index is currently processing. Activity stream results may not be complete.

I think I'm going to down vote this question. :grin:

swick watch.jpg

Edited by bababooey
added notation about search/activity

Just use the browse function you lazy :censored:    You've got "categories" & "jump to" now....get to clickin' :insane:   

There are no new posts in the Revival thread in moderns :makepoint:

I just activated the 'notify me of replies' to give that a try, have you tried that one?  These "featured" threads (these temporary ones at the top may not have all the same functionality)  

Edited by bababooey
I'm now added to the watch list from that little notify me/toggle and it's in my activity feed

Does the Browse function allow you to see all of the subforums I want to see on one screen while not being forced to see the others? Does it show all of the threads in the subforums I chose that I want to follow? All of them on one page? So I can view everything I want to see in the same spot?

i don't want to have to click into "Comics General", look around and then back out and then have to go into "Modern Comics", look around and then back out, and then go to the sales subforum, look around and then back out, then go to General Discussion, then Silver, then Bronze, then Copper, then back to Comics General, then repeat, repeat, repeat. I want to see everything on one page - like Watched Lists. Maybe we're talking about the same thing. Maybe we're not. I've asked several times if someone can explain HOW to set that up and haven't gotten a response. :makepoint:

Edited by HarveySwick

• Administrator
On 2/11/2017 at 6:43 AM, HarveySwick said:

Does the Browse function allow you to see all of the subforums I want to see on one screen while not being forced to see the others? Does it show all of the threads in the subforums I chose that I want to follow? All of them on one page? So I can view everything I want to see in the same spot?

i don't want to have to click into "Comics General", look around and then back out and then have to go into "Modern Comics", look around and then back out, and then go to the sales subforum, look around and then back out, then go to General Discussion, then Silver, then Bronze, then Copper, then back to Comics General, then repeat, repeat, repeat. I want to see everything on one page - like Watched Lists. Maybe we're talking about the same thing. Maybe we're not. I've asked several times if someone can explain HOW to set that up and haven't gotten a response. :makepoint:

So let me give you a little primary. I can tell you a few simple steps to follow at the end, but you'll be much better off if the overall system and how it works is in your head, because you'll be able to adjust things to be even better in the future than just defaulting to what the old boards used to do. It really isn't that different than the old boards in basic functionality - it just ads more options and the control are slightly different.

FOLLOWING - WHAT, WHERE, WHY

WHAT: You can follow forums, threads and users. You can also follow other newer features of the boards that aren't fully in use yet, but may be over time - like calendar, galleries, blogs, etc.

WHERE: Forums and Threads are followed by clicking the + sign in the green circle next to the name of the forum or thread AFTER you drill into it. Users are followed with a button on their profile pages. Similar mechanisms for everything else.

WHY: Once you follow content, you have two ways to consume it.

FIRST, as you follow the content you can choose whether to be sent notifications of new posts are or not - via both the notification system on the boards, and email. So make sure as you select to follow something that you choose HOW To be notified, AND whether you want others to see that you follow that content.

SECOND, You can ALSO use the "Activity" links to quickly view all of the activity from ALL of the things you follow - forums, threads and people, etc.

What is MOST like the old boards is seeing a list of only the top level items that you follow (like topics/threads) with a read/unread indicator. That is this activity stream (Activity -->

https://www.cgccomics.com/boards/discover/26/

If you like that stream, then look next to the title at the top of it, and just to the right you will see a faded little checkmark. If you click that, then this stream will replace the "Unread Content" between the Jump To and Mark Site Read menus in the upper right and lower right of the pages.

BUT you can also make your own streams, and choose to apply all kinds of other filters. That is probably best understood by experimenting with it a bit.

I also find "Content I posted in" to be super handy - because even if I didn't expressly follow it, I can see any conversations I already participated in.

ALSO NOTE: If, under notification settings, you choose to turn these on:

Automatically follow content

• Automatically follow new content I post
  • Automatically follow content I reply to

Then the followed content links will show everything that you expressly follow AND all the content you make or participate in.

@Architecht

This is a lot to digest and tinker with, but thank you for taking the time to post all of this. (worship) I know you're buried with questions and dealing with the headaches that coming with a lot of the person_without_enough_empathying and moaning ( :shy: ) so I appreciate the time you put into this response. I'm realizing that this place just requires a bit of work up front, but the output is so much better when things starting running the way you want them to as far as customization.

I think I'm just trying to figure out som of,the different terminology in the customization of the lists. But I at least feel hopeful that at some point, I can figure this out. :$

Edited by HarveySwick

@Architecht If I choose to automatically follow content I reply to, it defaults to sending me notifications when there are further replies etc. Then I have to manage followed content to not get a notification every time someone else replies. Is there an easier way to do this?

As in, can I automatically follow content I reply to, but do so anonymously without further notifications? 

For an example, I posted in the "Guess What? Chicken Butt" thread and don't necessarily want my name to show up as following it, or get a notification for all subsequent replies. 

Edited by Foley
spelling

1 1