• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

WTB McFarlane Amazing Spider-Man #299 finale page with Venom.
3 3

26 posts in this topic

I mistakenly posted this thread yesterday in the general original art comic art section.  I am looking to buy the final page of ASM #299 by McFarlane featuring Venom and I am hoping at least one board member can point me in the right direction to the owner of this page.  If I am able to complete the transaction to purchase the page I will provide a $500 finder's fee.  Please contact me here on the boards or through CAF.  Any assistance in obtaining one of my true grail pieces would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks

Chris Swartz   

ASM 299 VENOM.jpg

Sigh.  It seems like i'll never be able to shake this missed opportunity.

Back in '92, I was heavy into collecting comics.  High grade Silver Age Keys, and was looking for as ASM #1 to complete my ASM run.  Original Art?  Seen it before at shows and didn't care.  Free sketches?  Nah, don't have the time to wait around for them when there's so many boxes full of comics to scour, and a vast sea wall books to drool over. 

So, heading into the large Exhibition Place Show at Exhibition Place here in Toronto, I had $1000 cash with the sole intention of purchasing a high grade ASM#1.  By the way, Todd McFarlane was the main guest at the show, and I brought some ASM 300's to get signed.  Todd was insanely popular with the fans at the time, and I really, really, really liked his work.  Liked his stuff so much that I purchased 80 copies of ASM #300.  Anyhow, to make a long story short, before I found the high grade ASM #1 I was looking for, I was stopped cold in my tracks when I saw this original splash at a dealer's booth.  It was so beautiful and so cool, and Venom was a villain that really clicked with me.

I wasn't familiar with the dealer and he didn't seem local to me so I struck up a conversation with him and discovered he was from Niagara Falls, Canada, and owned a small store there and we proceeded with some small talk until he revealed he wanted $800 for the art.  Of course, I was completely unaware of the art market at the time, but I did know McFarlane was very popular and I probably would have bought it for $100 or $125 just as a memorable piece of art for me from one of my favourite comic books.  But I was on a mission for that ASM #1 and passed on the art.

I made certain to pass by the booth throughout the weekend to see if he sold the artwork.  He didn't. 

Flash forward to 2001, and my collecting focus had started to shift from comics to Original Comic Art.  I recalled the ASM splash and drove to Niagara Falls, but the store was no longer there.  I tried to hunt down the splash at local shows, through CBG, and  larger North East shows but never came across it.  I still think about that splash today, and the missed opportunity :(

On 2/11/2017 at 7:43 PM, jjonahjameson11 said:

Sigh.  It seems like i'll never be able to shake this missed opportunity.

Back in '92, I was heavy into collecting comics.  High grade Silver Age Keys, and was looking for as ASM #1 to complete my ASM run.  Original Art?  Seen it before at shows and didn't care.  Free sketches?  Nah, don't have the time to wait around for them when there's so many boxes full of comics to scour, and a vast sea wall books to drool over. 

So, heading into the large Exhibition Place Show at Exhibition Place here in Toronto, I had $1000 cash with the sole intention of purchasing a high grade ASM#1.  By the way, Todd McFarlane was the main guest at the show, and I brought some ASM 300's to get signed.  Todd was insanely popular with the fans at the time, and I really, really, really liked his work.  Liked his stuff so much that I purchased 80 copies of ASM #300.  Anyhow, to make a long story short, before I found the high grade ASM #1 I was looking for, I was stopped cold in my tracks when I saw this original splash at a dealer's booth.  It was so beautiful and so cool, and Venom was a villain that really clicked with me.

I wasn't familiar with the dealer and he didn't seem local to me so I struck up a conversation with him and discovered he was from Niagara Falls, Canada, and owned a small store there and we proceeded with some small talk until he revealed he wanted $800 for the art.  Of course, I was completely unaware of the art market at the time, but I did know McFarlane was very popular and I probably would have bought it for $100 or $125 just as a memorable piece of art for me from one of my favourite comic books.  But I was on a mission for that ASM #1 and passed on the art.

I made certain to pass by the booth throughout the weekend to see if he sold the artwork.  He didn't. 

Flash forward to 2001, and my collecting focus had started to shift from comics to Original Comic Art.  I recalled the ASM splash and drove to Niagara Falls, but the store was no longer there.  I tried to hunt down the splash at local shows, through CBG, and  larger North East shows but never came across it.  I still think about that splash today, and the missed opportunity :(

So did you end up with the ASM #1? What grade? 

I would consider upping your finders fee. Like its been mentioned, this is a very desired page and it literally could be 6 figures (if a Trimpe Wolverine panel page first goes close to 600k, a first Venom Mcfarlane title splash shouldnt have an issue getting to 1/6th as much).  You might have better luck offering a 5% finders fee if someone can put you in contact to broker a grail deal.

Ah, keep your radar on. The six-figures number quoted above is what it might sell for, not necessarily what it will sell for.

I think you could get a good Marvel Tales cover with Spidey on it for $50k. Is that splash really worth double?

17 minutes ago, J.Sid said:

Ah, keep your radar on. The six-figures number quoted above is what it might sell for, not necessarily what it will sell for.

I think you could get a good Marvel Tales cover with Spidey on it for $50k. Is that splash really worth double?

I've given up on trying to make logic of prices by comparing items to one another.  For example, you would think a CGC 9.8 copy of ASM #300 would be worth more than the recently printed 1:1000 venom #1 modern variant cover that isn't even a real sketch, just a reprinted image.  (The image that the poster wants to buy the original of).  In fact I'd go as far as saying the reprinted modern variant should be worth no more than 10% of a key 1st appearance issue.  But I'm dead wrong as there are people that continue to pay over $1,000+ for the modern variant.

Edited by 90sChild

22 minutes ago, 90sChild said:

I've given up on trying to make logic of prices by comparing items to one another.  For example, you would think a CGC 9.8 copy of ASM #300 would be worth more than the recently printed 1:1000 venom #1 modern variant cover that isn't even a real sketch, just a reprinted image.  (The image that the poster wants to buy the original of).  In fact I'd go as far as saying the reprinted modern variant should be worth no more than 10% of a key 1st appearance issue.  But I'm dead wrong as there are people that continue to pay over $1,000+ for the modern variant.

For a lot of collectibles, you need to look at long term value. Right now things are really weird, especially with the prices some are paying for the super rare variants. Many believe those prices won't hold up in ten years time. People point to Batman 608 RRP to dispute it... my personal opinion is that the uber rare variants that are also keys may hold value, uber rare variants that are just uber rare variants... I don't see it, but I could obviously be wrong.

This particular Image of Venom
(That indeed it his first appearance)
had been used for a couple of variant covers in the new Venom Ongoing series...

* Venom #1 Todd McFarlane 1:1000 Variant (The color Copy)
* Venom #1 Todd McFarlane 1:Store Sketch Variant (The B & W Copy)

They had become a HUGE success among collectors
I am sure this will raise the price for this page...

TuW8two.jpg   AtF2LIx.jpg

16 hours ago, MagnusX said:

This particular Image of Venom
(That indeed it his first appearance)
had been used for a couple of variant covers in the new Venom Ongoing series...

* Venom #1 Todd McFarlane 1:1000 Variant (The color Copy)
* Venom #1 Todd McFarlane 1:Store Sketch Variant (The B & W Copy)

They had become a HUGE success among collectors
I am sure this will raise the price for this page...

TuW8two.jpg   AtF2LIx.jpg

Wasn't the one on the left like a 1:1000 variant or something? I don't know a ton about it, but I thought that was the only one really sought after  - I could be wrong.

If these books are still hot in 10 years I'll agree they may have some impact on the price of that already historic page, but right now I'm dubious. It is certainly possible, but it seems more likely that these books will be forgotten by most in the next few years... unless artificially rare variants really is where the modern hobby is going, in which case, the playing field will have drastically changed.

If I owned the page in question, I might bother to mention the covers based on it when I'm trying to sell it, but that would probably be about it  (:

Edited by SquareChaos

On February 22, 2017 at 0:56 PM, J.Sid said:

I hear you, however a couple things to keep in mind: Marvel Tales is not ASM in terms of collectibility/nostalgia and that does have an affect the valuations.

also, this ASM splash features the 1st appearance of arguably the most significant Marvel villain created in the past 25-30 years and I suspect the premium for that distinction alone will elevate this splash to the six-figure valuation.

thats my two cents, but I'm certain that im not alone in my thinking when it comes to this splash.

never mind that this image has received a ton of exposure in comics publications nor the fact that Venom was the only modern Spidey villain to appear in an ASM movie (well, if you exclude jolly J.Jonah Jameson) ?

5 minutes ago, jjonahjameson11 said:

I hear you, however a couple things to keep in mind: Marvel Tales is not ASM in terms of collectibility/nostalgia and that does have an affect the valuations.

also, this ASM splash features the 1st appearance of arguably the most significant Marvel villain created in the past 25-30 years and I suspect the premium for that distinction alone will elevate this splash to the six-figure valuation.

thats my two cents, but I'm certain that im not alone in my thinking when it comes to this splash.

never mind that this image has received a ton of exposure in comics publications nor the fact that Venom was the only modern Spidey villain to appear in an ASM movie (well, if you exclude jolly J.Jonah Jameson) ?

Forget my comment about a Marvel Tales cover then. It still doesn't explain where this hypothetical six-figure price/valuation comes from.