• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Slightly Translucent Covers

10 posts in this topic

Hi, I'm new to the boards.

I have a question about what I perceive to be a comic flaw, but almost never see mentioned. From time to time I purchase a graded comic and notice a slight translucence to the cover (obviously most often in the white areas where there is no ink coverage). You can slightly see through the paper to the inks on the inside cover or first page.

Sometimes this is quite noticeable. It might not technically be considered a flaw, but it's unsightly and if pictures ever showed it more clearly I'd avoid buying those books.

I almost never see this with raw books...only graded ones. Which makes me wonder if this is possibly the result of books being heavily pressed? Can this happen naturally when books are kept tightly packed or somehow stored improperly?

Any insight or information about this would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

3 hours ago, pentecost_101 said:

Hi, I'm new to the boards.

I have a question about what I perceive to be a comic flaw, but almost never see mentioned. From time to time I purchase a graded comic and notice a slight translucence to the cover (obviously most often in the white areas where there is no ink coverage). You can slightly see through the paper to the inks on the inside cover or first page.

Sometimes this is quite noticeable. It might not technically be considered a flaw, but it's unsightly and if pictures ever showed it more clearly I'd avoid buying those books.

I almost never see this with raw books...only graded ones. Which makes me wonder if this is possibly the result of books being heavily pressed? Can this happen naturally when books are kept tightly packed or somehow stored improperly?

Any insight or information about this would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Not sure what causes it but I believe it's naturally occurring.  I've seen many raw books like this.

Back in the day, I used to notice this translucency seemed to be more extreme in higher grade original owner collections that had been stored in homemade Saran wrap bags. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu