• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Can This ASM #1 Be Restored? (And Should It?)

36 posts in this topic

Hello all,

I'm hoping those of you more knowledgeable in the ways of restoration can direct me on the right course of action. 

Pictured below is a rather solid copy of ASM #1 belonging to a friend of mine. He is considering selling it--and the rest of his collection--in order to purchase something else. Sadly, there is a "To Eric" within a speech bubble. My friend's name is Eric. He worked with Stan at a con several years ago, which is when Stan signed it and wrote "To Eric." Eric was not exactly pleased. He had not asked Stan to add that 'bonus' scribble. Needless to say it has affected the book's value and desirability to those not named "Eric." Therefore, I suggested to my friend to have it restored by removing the "To Eric" and speech bubble, as well as having the autograph authenticated and then grading it. (Does CGC authenticate signatures without a witness?). So, my restoration questions are as follows:

• First, can it be removed?
  • If so, what degree of restoration will it be assigned? (i.e.) SP, MA, etc.

This is a pretty nice copy that cost my friend what is to him, a sizeable sum of money, which he would like to now invest elsewhere. It's therefore important to choose the course of action that will allow him to get the best return.

Thanks in advance!

IMG_1116_zpsaihxkml2.jpg

Edited by KEY ISSUES Comics

Based on my intermediate knowledge and research, I'm not aware of any way to remove black marker from paper. There could be the possibility of coloring over it but not sure how well that would work considering how intricate the artwork is in that area. Would need someone who is an expert in this area to chime in. Maybe better to just take the hit as it currently is and sell the book in its current state. 

Yeah, that cannot be removed, only covered up. I wouldn't recommend restoration, the book looks higher than a 3.0 (much higher really), which will make it worth more unrestored.

CGC will not verify the signature, you would have to send it to the other place for that.

Edited by MastrCntrlProgram

Thanks for the input gang. That was my fear; covering it up would likely look bad. Fortunately, IMHO, the placement of the "To Eric" isn't that bad. It would have been much worse had it been placed over one of the characters or the text.

As for the signature verification, I shall look elsewhere then. I was hoping CGC could do it.

And yes, the book looks MUCH nicer than 3.0. I'd give it a solid 5.0. The main problems from what I recall are foxing along the top of the FC and a crease on the BC that would be 'fixed' by pressing.

Any other input regarding what resto could do, if anything, before I inform my friend?

Thanks. (thumbsu

Edited by KEY ISSUES Comics

3 hours ago, KEY ISSUES Comics said:

Thanks for the input gang. That was my fear; covering it up would likely look bad. Fortunately, IMHO, the placement of the "To Eric" isn't that bad. It would have been much worse had it been placed over one of the characters or the text.

As for the signature verification, I shall look elsewhere then. I was hoping CGC could do it.

And yes, the book looks MUCH nicer than 3.0. I'd give it a solid 5.0. The main problems from what I recall are foxing along the top of the FC and a crease on the BC that would be 'fixed' by pressing.

Any other input regarding what resto could do, if anything, before I inform my friend?

Thanks. (thumbsu

Nope, that's it, press and submit.

5 hours ago, KEY ISSUES Comics said:

Thanks. (thumbsu

CBCS will likely authenticate the signature for you, but their books typically receive lower prices than CGC books with comparable grades. Your friend is better off sticking with CGC on this book, imo.

Edited by Sqeggs
Typo

22 minutes ago, KEY ISSUES Comics said:

Well here's a question for CGC. Would you recognize and accept a CBCS book with a verified signature and label it yellow if submitted for grading?

You won't get a response from CGC in this thread, but the answer is pretty clearly "no."

If i owned the book I would reluctantly employ CBCS do their signature/grading service and unload it.  Having it authenticated would probably net him more than just slabbing with a "doodle" on the front cover.  Personally, I would never buy a book graded by cbcs but there are certainly those who will.

Edited by comicquant

54 minutes ago, Stronguy said:

You could just turn that speech bubble into a giant spider (or roach) and everyone would think it was just Stan up to his old tricks.

Might be able to get this to work.....

epic.jpg

Edited by W16227

7 hours ago, KEY ISSUES Comics said:

Go straight to CGC, which is where I get all of my comics graded, and a get a green label

Who says you're gonna get a green label !? It'll be blue.

Edited by Gotham Kid

8 hours ago, KEY ISSUES Comics said:

Thanks gang. Decisions, decisions... Go straight to CGC, which is where I get all of my comics graded, and a get a green label, or go elsewhere and possibly get the sig verified but deal with the consequences of a grading service with a lesser reputation?

I'm a CGC guy but in this case I'd submit it to the other company in a heartbeat.

1 hour ago, Gotham Kid said:

Who says you're gonna get a green label !? It'll be blue.

Green for the "remarked" since the signature and "To Eric" cannot be verified. Please correct me if I am wrong because this has changed. I've received green labels in the past for unverified signatures.

4 hours ago, KEY ISSUES Comics said:

Green for the "remarked" since the signature and "To Eric" cannot be verified. Please correct me if I am wrong because this has changed. I've received green labels in the past for unverified signatures.

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=9778654