• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Can This ASM #1 Be Restored? (And Should It?)

36 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, Gotham Kid said:

The last post on page 3 (http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=9778654&fpart=2) is from a CGC grader (BradleyX2) and says:

"If the label says "NAME WRITTEN ON COVER IN MARKER." in all caps, then yes, the book should have been Qualified, and the wrong category was selected from the drop-down menu.

You can send the book back to CGC. We will fix the label for free, and reimburse you for the shipping.

Contact our customer service manager Brittany McManus at:

bmcmanus@cgccomics.com

briefly explaining the problem, and she will help you with getting everything fixed. "

So the book will get a Qualified (green) label, which is basically the kiss of death.

It will still be interesting to see how they treat the "Too Eric"...  Will they treat that as part of the signing or will they discount the grade because of it.  I don't know, the whole thing skeeves me out.  To me, having to use CBCS is like having to wear someone's dirty underwear.  

On 2/13/2017 at 11:18 PM, comicquant said:
On 2/13/2017 at 9:31 PM, Gotham Kid said:

The last post on page 3 (http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=9778654&fpart=2) is from a CGC grader (BradleyX2) and says:

"If the label says "NAME WRITTEN ON COVER IN MARKER." in all caps, then yes, the book should have been Qualified, and the wrong category was selected from the drop-down menu.

You can send the book back to CGC. We will fix the label for free, and reimburse you for the shipping.

Contact our customer service manager Brittany McManus at:

bmcmanus@cgccomics.com

briefly explaining the problem, and she will help you with getting everything fixed. "

So the book will get a Qualified (green) label, which is basically the kiss of death.

The book in that link is a 9.4 that should have been put in a green label (to hold that high grade) but was mistakenly put in a blue label.

Different situation here with this mid-grade ASM 1.  If the OP asks, I'm sure they will put the book in a blue label, with a ding to the grade for the unverified sig. They would probably do that without being asked -- but calling them and inquiring would probably be a good idea.

Even if it were to be in a green label, I don't see that as the kiss of death.  Anyone thinking of buying the book can see that the sig is obviously Stan's and so discount the reason (printed on the label) for the qualified grade.  I don't think this is equivalent to a married centerfold of clipped MVS as a price killer.

5 minutes ago, Sqeggs said:

The book in that link is a 9.4 that should have been put in a green label (to hold that high grade) but was mistakenly put in a blue label.

Different situation here with this mid-grade ASM 1.  If the OP asks, I'm sure they will put the book in a blue label, with a ding to the grade for the unverified sig. They would probably do that without being asked -- but calling them and inquiring would probably be a good idea.

Even if it were to be in a green label, I don't see that as the kiss of death.  Anyone thinking of buying the book can see that the sig is obviously Stan's and so discount the reason (printed on the label) for the qualified grade.  I don't think this is equivalent to a married centerfold of clipped MVS as a price killer.

yup

2 minutes ago, Sqeggs said:

Logically, the Green Label should not be the kiss of death, but IMO, it is. Many collectors cannot look past the green label and will not want it. I also do not agree with your comment that anyone can see the sig is Stan's.  If that were true we would not need the SS program. Collectors want the guarantee. The 'To Eric' makes this book personalized, another negative factor for most collectors. IMO, this book will be a difficult sell no matter what. Finding the right buyer will not be easy.

5 hours ago, Bomber-Bob said:
5 hours ago, Sqeggs said:

Logically, the Green Label should not be the kiss of death, but IMO, it is. Many collectors cannot look past the green label and will not want it. I also do not agree with your comment that anyone can see the sig is Stan's.  If that were true we would not need the SS program. Collectors want the guarantee. The 'To Eric' makes this book personalized, another negative factor for most collectors. IMO, this book will be a difficult sell no matter what. Finding the right buyer will not be easy.

I don't know.  Stan's sig is common and so easy to get that it seems unlikely anyone would have forged it, particularly adding in the personalization.  Most people buying a book like this would take the time to consider why it's in a green slab.  In any event, I'm pretty sure CGC will put it in a blue slab if that's what the OP wants.

Thanks for all the feedback folks. It really isn't an easy decision. 

I for one would prefer the sig to be authenticated as a buyer, even if it is via CBCS for instance. Speaking of CBCS, why all of the hate? Back to the book in question. Ultimately, the seller would like to maximize his return. I know it'll be tough to sell, whichever option is chosen, but which route do you think will yield the highest price???

I thought that CGC will let people pick a qualified vs. a universal label depending on the situation.  Certainly, the book will take a big grade hit in universal over qualified, but may still be worth more than the book as a qualified grade.  Has anyone done analysis on price equivalency between green and blue? I know there are tables that are used to estimate purple vs. blue pricing.

2 hours ago, drotto said:

I thought that CGC will let people pick a qualified vs. a universal label depending on the situation.  Certainly, the book will take a big grade hit in universal over qualified, but may still be worth more than the book as a qualified grade.  Has anyone done analysis on price equivalency between green and blue? I know there are tables that are used to estimate purple vs. blue pricing.

Really? Now those tables are something I'd like to present to my friend so he could make the best-informed decision possible.

39 minutes ago, KEY ISSUES Comics said:

Really? Now those tables are something I'd like to present to my friend so he could make the best-informed decision possible.

Here is a quick little article that has some tables comparing the relative value of restored vs. not restored based on apparent grade and degree of restoration.

http://comicrestoration.freeservers.com/crashcourse.htm

On 13/02/2017 at 9:19 AM, Sqeggs said:

CBCS will likely authenticate the signature for you, but their books typically receive lower prices than CGC books with comparable grades. Your friend is better off sticking with CGC on this book, imo.

I looked through the last few years of sales on Heritage for ASM 1. I don't see such a big difference in price (admittedly on low numbers of books sold). 20% is worst case which I think could be offset in this case by the sig verification. I'd go there for this one.

Not aimed at you Squeggs, but when the other guys are mentioned on these boards, disinformation usually isn't far away.

Edited by AJD