• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Mark Jeweler variants in DC Comics
4 4

145 posts in this topic

On 11/16/2019 at 8:42 AM, Cpt Kirk said:

4.  Of the 13 that I still don't have in my collection, a friend of mine has 5 of those in hand (and he won't sell no matter what I offer).

Some "friend" . . . lol

:kidaround:

Apparently there is some competition for these variants.  Tonight I was losing bidder for Justice League of America 107 jeweler variant in vgFN.  I had never seen a JLA 107 jeweler variant until the listing in the link below came out a week ago.  It went for $91.  I put in a last second bid for $90 and was amazed that I was outbid at the last second.   I would love to hear from the winner, to see why in the heck someone would pay that much for a comic book that would normally have a hard time selling for $2 if it did not contain the insert.   At least I know that this variant exists now.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Justice-League-America-107-DC-1st-app-Freedom-Fighters-Mark-Jewelers-Insert-/283773513830?_trksid=p2385738.m4383.l10137.c10&nordt=true&rt=nc&orig_cvip=true

Edited by Cpt Kirk

4 hours ago, Cpt Kirk said:

Apparently there is some competition for these variants.  Tonight I was losing bidder for Justice League of America 107 jeweler variant in vgFN.  I had never seen a JLA 107 jeweler variant until the listing in the link below came out a week ago.  It went for $91.  I put in a last second bid for $90 and was amazed that I was outbid at the last second.   I would love to hear from the winner, to see why in the heck someone would pay that much for a comic book that would normally have a hard time selling for $2 if it did not contain the insert.   At least I know that this variant exists now.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Justice-League-America-107-DC-1st-app-Freedom-Fighters-Mark-Jewelers-Insert-/283773513830?_trksid=p2385738.m4383.l10137.c10&nordt=true&rt=nc&orig_cvip=true

If there's one thing I've learned in the 3 years I've been posting here it's that there's a large group of serious variant enthusiasts that exist under the radar who are not members or active members here. There's probably a group of people trying to do the same as you and they fight hard when the obscure one comes up. I've seen some staggering prices on MJI's before - it's that combination of the right two or three collectors and the right scarce issue - often an 'unremarkable' one - that drives the occasional bonkers sale price.

4 hours ago, Get Marwood & I said:

If there's one thing I've learned in the 3 years I've been posting here it's that there's a large group of serious variant enthusiasts that exist under the radar who are not members or active members here. There's probably a group of people trying to do the same as you and they fight hard when the obscure one comes up. I've seen some staggering prices on MJI's before - it's that combination of the right two or three collectors and the right scarce issue - often an 'unremarkable' one - that drives the occasional bonkers sale price.

Yup.  It was just me and one other guy bidding on it.   I put in an insanely high bid at the last minute just for the hell of it.   I was the high bidder for about 2 seconds and then the other guy got it.  In retrospect, I'm glad the other guy got it because I would still be looking for a better copy.  I'm trying to get all my jeweler variants in at least FN or better (which ain't easy!)

4 hours ago, Cpt Kirk said:

Yup.  It was just me and one other guy bidding on it.   I put in an insanely high bid at the last minute just for the hell of it.   I was the high bidder for about 2 seconds and then the other guy got it.  In retrospect, I'm glad the other guy got it because I would still be looking for a better copy.  I'm trying to get all my jeweler variants in at least FN or better (which ain't easy!)

I was the same with my old Spidey pursuit - see the 'upgrades' note below :grin:

mji.PNG.4787c467db51b5aeb294ea0a0bb3b560.PNG

This is an old image and I think I managed to get #163 in the end. I saw a 149 and missed out as I recall leaving only #124 as the only issue that I never once saw an MJI in. If I had, and in line with your JLA #107 scenario, the bid would have been huge!

Ah, those were the days...

14 minutes ago, Get Marwood & I said:

I was the same with my old Spidey pursuit - see the 'upgrades' note below :grin:

mji.PNG.4787c467db51b5aeb294ea0a0bb3b560.PNG

This is an old image and I think I managed to get #163 in the end. I saw a 149 and missed out as I recall leaving only #124 as the only issue that I never once saw an MJI in. If I had, and in line with your JLA #107 scenario, the bid would have been huge!

Ah, those were the days...

And to think I used to see those all the time...I thought they were common...

36 minutes ago, The Lions Den said:

And to think I used to see those all the time...I thought they were common...

They may well be in the US - I was at a disadvantage being in England - but I didn't do too badly I suppose. Shipping was much cheaper back then so I could snag them from ebay when they appeared. Subject to the success of the competing bidders of course.

Sometimes I think that maybe I'm one of the only collectors of these Mark Jeweler variants.  But there must be more fanatics out there.  Yesterday at JLA 207 jeweler variant popped up on @mycomicshop and someone snapped it up immediately.   Dang it... out of 692 jeweler variants I'm trying to find, that JLA 207 was one of the only 30 remaining for me to find.   Bottom line.... if you are a fanatic for these things, you must be constantly on the watch for them or some other guy whose even more fanatical than you will get there first.   Yikes!    

On 2/12/2020 at 10:53 PM, Cpt Kirk said:

I guess you could ask yourself why YOU would.  By the way, did MJ inserts also come in non-newsstand comics? If so, I have to quadruple my efforts!

Edited by Spawnfreak
Adding question.

5 hours ago, Spawnfreak said:

By the way, did MJ inserts also come in non-newsstand comics? If so, I have to quadruple my efforts!

Newsstand only for Marvel. I think @ADAMANTIUM has the only known copy in a direct. Daredevil wasn't it Mark? Did we conclude it was an error but likely legit? Can't remember. 

13 hours ago, Battletoads82 said:

This may be a dumb question but do most of you grade your MJ variants? I have only one but it definitely won't grade that high.

Some of them are so hard to find you have to accept any copy if you're a completist. But you're always on the look out for a better copy if so. A high grade MJI, especially card stock, is a thing of beauty I think. 

19 hours ago, Cpt Kirk said:

Sometimes I think that maybe I'm one of the only collectors of these Mark Jeweler variants.  But there must be more fanatics out there.  Yesterday at JLA 207 jeweler variant popped up on @mycomicshop and someone snapped it up immediately.   Dang it... out of 692 jeweler variants I'm trying to find, that JLA 207 was one of the only 30 remaining for me to find.   Bottom line.... if you are a fanatic for these things, you must be constantly on the watch for them or some other guy whose even more fanatical than you will get there first.   Yikes!    

This resonates with me. When you're at the peak of completism, with only a handful left, you get like every copy is yours by right. Someone else buying it is an outrageous liberty and an abuse of fairness!

1 hour ago, Get Marwood & I said:

Newsstand only for Marvel. I think @ADAMANTIUM has the only known copy in a direct. Daredevil wasn't it Mark? Did we conclude it was an error but likely legit? Can't remember. 

15 hours ago, Battletoads82 said:

This may be a dumb question but do most of you grade your MJ variants? I have only one but it definitely won't grade that high.

I'll dig out the pic, I brushed it off cause it was also a Canadian price variant so I think mine is still a newsstand 

But a direct version of a mark jeweler in my thoughts would be just as off kilter or weird as a Canadian Mark jeweler...

I don't believe that I have a triple threat lol

Let me check

3 minutes ago, ADAMANTIUM said:
1 hour ago, Get Marwood & I said:

15 hours ago, Battletoads82 said:

I'll dig out the pic, I brushed it off cause it was also a Canadian price variant so I think mine is still a newsstand 

But a direct version of a mark jeweler in my thoughts would be just as off kilter or weird as a Canadian Mark jeweler...

I don't believe that I have a triple threat lol

Let me check

Ya it's newsstand, 2 of these I know to exist, mine is the only graded that I know of and blue label  :)

with all notations

3285552_Full_Obv.jpg

16 minutes ago, steveinthecity said:

How would an MJI find it’s way into a CDN copy? That’s truly odd.  hm

it WAS weird! lol 

@RCheli Is the one who found 2! 2 I tell's ya! pretty much at the same time haha, how crazy! He posted here and I was curious myself and snagged one to send in :wishluck: 

I forget who got the other, even at only 6.0, it was worth it!

Spoiler

presumably worth it  :D 

29 minutes ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

it WAS weird! lol 

@RCheli Is the one who found 2! 2 I tell's ya! pretty much at the same time haha, how crazy! He posted here and I was curious myself and snagged one to send in :wishluck: 

I forget who got the other, even at only 6.0, it was worth it!

Reveal hidden contents

presumably worth it  :D 

@FlyingDonut grabbed the other one. It was the strangest thing I've ever come across in my comic life. It was OBVIOUSLY some sort of error when they put the three parts together (the cover, guts, and insert), but I wonder if other DD #231 Canadians had the same mistake.

Edited to put in the correct issue #.

Edited by RCheli

On 4/30/2020 at 11:45 PM, Battletoads82 said:

Yes, they are hard to find in high grade.  I've been chasing them for 12+ years.  I have always upgraded when I had a copy in vgFN or less.   Over the years, I would say at least half of my 700+ jewelers are in VF or better.  

My minimum acceptable grade is FN.  I probably have 11 that are vg or less, and 30 or so that are vgFN.