• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Mark Jeweler variants in DC Comics
4 4

145 posts in this topic

This thread brings me joy. I am far from a fanatic but reading this stuff is the best. @Cpt Kirk if I ever find any you need or are having troubles finding exist, I will make sure they end up in your hands. You have my word (we can trade, I like to trade :) )

Does anyone has a list of Marvel issues that are suspected to have them but have yet to be found? I am interested in helping if I can :)

On 5/1/2020 at 4:38 PM, RCheli said:

@FlyingDonut grabbed the other one. It was the strangest thing I've ever come across in my comic life. It was OBVIOUSLY some sort of error when they put the three parts together (the cover, guts, and insert), but I wonder if other DD #231 Canadians had the same mistake.

Edited to put in the correct issue #.

I live in Canada!

And hey, I have a copy of DD #231

And hey, my copy is a Canadian copy!

27 minutes ago, comicginger1789 said:

This thread brings me joy. I am far from a fanatic but reading this stuff is the best. @Cpt Kirk if I ever find any you need or are having troubles finding exist, I will make sure they end up in your hands. You have my word (we can trade, I like to trade :) )

Does anyone has a list of Marvel issues that are suspected to have them but have yet to be found? I am interested in helping if I can :)

Thank you.   And yes, I have a ton of jewelers available for trade for anyone who can find the jeweler variants that I am missing (that is why I keep them).  

9 hours ago, Cpt Kirk said:

Thank you.   And yes, I have a ton of jewelers available for trade for anyone who can find the jeweler variants that I am missing (that is why I keep them).  

What are you missing? Maybe I can help!

1 hour ago, comicginger1789 said:

Is mycomicshop accurate in that if they have a book listed as having the insert but none in stock, it means that they have actually come across it? Just wondering for the sake of the hunt on a couple Spidey books :)

Which Spidey books? I have some.

2 hours ago, Spawnfreak said:

What are you missing? Maybe I can help!

Following is my want list. I have quite a few of these, but also looking for upgrades.  I would gladly make it worth your while to find them.  I will send you a PM with my cell number so that if you find one, you can check with me first before buying it.

Action  418, 447, 448, 452, 516, 524, 525, 533, 543, 549, 571, 579, 580, 581 

Batman  243, 245, 246, 247, 251, 253, 264, 265, 273, 278, 288, 291, 301, 324, 326, 332, 340, 366, 390

Detective  453, 454, 464, 470, 497, 548, 564   

Superman 255, 258, 259, 261, 263, 266, 267, 269, 273, 277, 279, 287, 289, 291, 292, 294, 297, 298, 353, 358, 359, 361, 369, 370, 373, 375, 376, 378, 387, 393, 413, 419              

Justice League of America  100, 101, 103, 106, 107, 108, 122, 161, 195, 207     

1 hour ago, comicginger1789 said:

Is mycomicshop accurate in that if they have a book listed as having the insert but none in stock, it means that they have actually come across it? Just wondering for the sake of the hunt on a couple Spidey books :)

Definitely not accurate.  There was a time when @mycomicshop only reported jeweler variants that they had in stock or had previously sold.  But sometime around 2015 or so they listed the jeweler variant for every single issue during a certain date range.  We know for sure that some of those issues don't contain jeweler inserts because they are square bound giants, which have never been known to contain the insert.   For example, @mycomicshop lists jeweler variants for Batman 254 through 260, even though those issues are 100-page giants for which no jeweler variant has ever been known to exist.  It appears that the insert has only be added to saddle stitched comics.  

Interesting tidbit:  for DC comics, I have seen thousands of jeweler variants but I have never seen one accidentally added to a Direct Sales copy.  They are only found in newsstand issues for DC comics.  I wonder if the Canadian variant with the jeweler insert found above was an error... I could see where that could happen.  I think it was an error because I don't know of any US Military bases with PX's in Canada (the jeweler variant was only known to be sold on US Military bases overseas).

Edited by Cpt Kirk

1 hour ago, Cpt Kirk said:

Following is my want list. I have quite a few of these, but also looking for upgrades.  I would gladly make it worth your while to find them.  I will send you a PM with my cell number so that if you find one, you can check with me first before buying it.

Action  418, 447, 448, 452, 516, 524, 525, 533, 543, 549, 571, 579, 580, 581 

Batman  243, 245, 246, 247, 251, 253, 264, 265, 273, 278, 288, 291, 301, 324, 326, 332, 340, 366, 390

Detective  453, 454, 464, 470, 497, 548, 564   

Superman 255, 258, 259, 261, 263, 266, 267, 269, 273, 277, 279, 287, 289, 291, 292, 294, 297, 298, 353, 358, 359, 361, 369, 370, 373, 375, 376, 378, 387, 393, 413, 419              

Justice League of America  100, 101, 103, 106, 107, 108, 122, 161, 195, 207     

Sad to say, not a one. Can't find my copy of Action 571, so not sure about that one. will advise.

2 hours ago, Cpt Kirk said:

Definitely not accurate.  There was a time when @mycomicshop only reported jeweler variants that they had in stock or had previously sold.  But sometime around 2015 or so they listed the jeweler variant for every single issue during a certain date range.  We know for sure that some of those issues don't contain jeweler inserts because they are square bound giants, which have never been known to contain the insert.   For example, @mycomicshop lists jeweler variants for Batman 254 through 260, even though those issues are 100-page giants for which no jeweler variant has ever been known to exist.  It appears that the insert has only be added to saddle stitched comics.  

Interesting tidbit:  for DC comics, I have seen thousands of jeweler variants but I have never seen one accidentally added to a Direct Sales copy.  They are only found in newsstand issues for DC comics.  I wonder if the Canadian variant with the jeweler insert found above was an error... I could see where that could happen.  I think it was an error because I don't know of any US Military bases with PX's in Canada (the jeweler variant was only known to be sold on US Military bases overseas).

Okay, because I am compiling my own data from prior threads and the dark web about the National Diamond Sales insert and mycomicshop lists a bunch but I am only going to list if I can confirm it exists.

One more question. There seems to be a lot of confusion about how these books with National Diamond and MJ inserts were distributed. Were all issues with MJ inserts sold overseas? If so, how did so many come back? There are accounts of people who had original owner collections and had bought their books on or near military bases and the books had the inserts in them. I am just trying to nail down some more facts if possible, whether these all went over seas but in fairly large quantities and came back, whether it was a combination of being sold on bases and overseas. I appreciate any knowledge you have:)

45 minutes ago, comicginger1789 said:

Okay, because I am compiling my own data from prior threads and the dark web about the National Diamond Sales insert and mycomicshop lists a bunch but I am only going to list if I can confirm it exists.

One more question. There seems to be a lot of confusion about how these books with National Diamond and MJ inserts were distributed. Were all issues with MJ inserts sold overseas? If so, how did so many come back? There are accounts of people who had original owner collections and had bought their books on or near military bases and the books had the inserts in them. I am just trying to nail down some more facts if possible, whether these all went over seas but in fairly large quantities and came back, whether it was a combination of being sold on bases and overseas. I appreciate any knowledge you have:)

If you look around on the internet, you will see a lot of information that states these were only sold in U.S. military stores overseas.  I don't have any personal experience in those stores, but I have been in touch with people who said that they recall getting jeweler variants from those stores.  

6 minutes ago, Cpt Kirk said:

If you look around on the internet, you will see a lot of information that states these were only sold in U.S. military stores overseas.  I don't have any personal experience in those stores, but I have been in touch with people who said that they recall getting jeweler variants from those stores.  

Yeah I have read that too, and also that people have bought on bases in the US. To me it seems both were true then. I am enjoying the reading and research today as I continue to dive into the subject!

26 minutes ago, comicginger1789 said:

Yeah I have read that too, and also that people have bought on bases in the US. To me it seems both were true then. I am enjoying the reading and research today as I continue to dive into the subject!

You know this COVID -19 crisis is bad when people start having time on their hands to start looking for Mark Jeweler variants... lol.

19 minutes ago, Cpt Kirk said:

You know this COVID -19 crisis is bad when people start having time on their hands to start looking for Mark Jeweler variants... lol.

I'll leave the MJIs to you and others. I will focus solely on National Diamonds. I am particularly keen on some I have seen with markings on them (date stamps, other weird stamps, a "star" that seems to appear on many).

1 hour ago, Cpt Kirk said:

These were not just sold overseas. If that were the case, there would be barely any copies available -- who's bringing back their comics after 9 months in Germany. Do we even see many copies of these books for sale in Europe?

7 hours ago, RCheli said:

These were not just sold overseas. If that were the case, there would be barely any copies available -- who's bringing back their comics after 9 months in Germany. Do we even see many copies of these books for sale in Europe?

I know it does seem hard to believe.  I would think that they would also have been sold in military stores here in the United States, but many experts claim that did not happen.  

And yes, I had to resort to find several of my copies in Europe and Asia... especially in Germany and Japan.

I continue to hunt for these Mark Jeweler variants in the titles of Batman, Detective, Superman, Action and JLA on ebay.  I just ask the seller if the comic book contains the insert, and I also give the seller my jeweler want list.  After combing through more than 100 stores and asking more than 900 sellers on ebay, I now have found 677 of the possible 692 jeweler variants for those five titles (which means there are still 15 out there that I have not yet found).  I'm starting to think that I might eventually find all 692 jeweler variants within the next several years, or come darn close. In the last few months, I found a few (namely JLA 195 and Action 580) that I thought might not have ever received the insert.  

I created a graph (see below) that shows how many of the jeweler variants I've been able to find since I started looking for them 8 years ago.  The straight horizontal line at the top of the graph represents the total theoretically possible 692 jeweler variants for Batman, Detective, Superman, Action and JLA titles. The "x" axis is the number of years I've been trying to find these.  You can see the curve approaches 692 jeweler variants as the years go by (I'm currently sitting at 8 years), but then the curve starts to flatten out toward the end if we use regression analysis.  So will the curve ever reach all the way up to 692?... only time will tell.    (you can probably tell that I'm an engineer)

5083546_graphofmarkjewelers62320.jpg.2452e0192f55b589568c31ac028fc5c9.jpg

Edited by Cpt Kirk