• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How do you ship graded CGC books and keep cost down for buyers?
2 2

47 posts in this topic

On 2/26/2017 at 12:30 AM, AGGIEZ said:

I invested in slab-perfect sized boxes from ULINE.com. Cost me about $0.50/box, but it's worth it and saves me a lot of headaches. I typically ship standard with tracking on the boards. E-bay is straight USPS 2-3 day Priority. I don't ship international any more. I've had one too many issues to make that worth it for me. Sure, cuts my market down by a nominal %, but it's not worth the risk/headache for me.

What size box/ stock number?

On 3/1/2017 at 4:27 PM, Buzzetta said:

1095 / 1092 box in box combo.  Bubble around the slab and a few packing peanuts thrown in on either side of the outside of the smaller box to act as a space filler and bumper within the big box.  I expect the boxes to be thrown around and I want to protect my buyer's purchase.

Some may think that this is overkill but most are appreciative and impressed as the majority of items sent on eBay seem to be sent in whatever was laying around... that could be a cereal box or a dog biscuit box... 

BTW... I learned to ship this way after reading the boards. 

I am still shipping books this way.  Funny that I saw this thread and someone messaged me on eBay last month saying that I would be able to keep the weight down and make it a little cheaper for my buyer. 

I will say it here plainly... I am not interested in keeping the cost down for the buyer if it means sacrificing the integrity of their package.  If you buy from me I do my best to make sure you get your item in the condition you ordered it in.  I would personally rather pay an extra $1 or three to make sure that my item gets to me in the condition I selected it in. 

46 minutes ago, Chris6218 said:

What size box/ stock number?

Not sure...I bought about 100 five years ago and just ran out...I actually think they were about $0.75/ea. I typically ship USPS flat rate though but will be ordering some more of these boxes soon...but prices look to have gone up.

Slabs are about  ~13"L x 8"W x 1"T so I'll be ordering some with slightly larger dimensions than that to allow for bubble wrap and extra cardboard. 100 of the 14x10x2 are now $1.28 each. I may splurge for slightly larger ones for $1.34/each (S-15059 = 15-1/8" x 11-1/8" x 3").

https://www.uline.com/BL_1402/Literature-Mailers-Kraft

On 1/30/2019 at 12:34 AM, lizards2 said:

They won't pay on poor packaging, which is the case with 95% of you jackwagons.

They won't pay if the package is stolen off the recipient's porch.  This one really ires me, as the jackwagon mentioned, "gawrsh, I've had quite a few of those come up missing, lately...,".  Jackwagon.  If you have problems like that, you should probably mention you live in a high crime area and need special attention - which YOU should pay for, jackwagon.

USPS gave me the full amount claimed on an item that they broke.  Box arrived damaged and the slab was broken.  I took a screen shot of the eBay listing and pictures of the book. They instantly cut me a check for the full amount the book sold for... AND I still have the book since the buyer returned it to me. 

What was strange was that I did not take insurance out on the book.  I filed a claim under priority mail automatic coverage for the full amount knowing that the coverage only goes to $50.  
For some reason they cut me a check for the full amount.  I cashed that check immediately. 

Toys for Tots got a lil extra sumptin sumptin that year. 

Just sold a book for $1200 though and I insured the whole thing since I looked up the address where I am sending it to and the house is in a very isolated area.