• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

TIPS for navigating the boards quickly
7 7

90 posts in this topic

okay i have a question... on the previous boards if i went to a thread is would take me back to the last page i read... now it seems to take me back to the beginning of a thread... i'm sure i could find where i was at... but that's a pain.... am i missing something or some setting? thanks!

9 hours ago, ashsaytr said:

okay i have a question... on the previous boards if i went to a thread is would take me back to the last page i read... now it seems to take me back to the beginning of a thread... i'm sure i could find where i was at... but that's a pain.... am i missing something or some setting? thanks!

Instead of clicking directly on the thread title, click the black dot (or star) next to the title.  That will take you to the most recent unread post. 

3 hours ago, chrisco37 said:

Instead of clicking directly on the thread title, click the black dot (or star) next to the title.  That will take you to the most recent unread post. 

I'd rather it took me to the oldest unread post, so I could start reading threads where they left off.

Edited by namisgr

3 minutes ago, namisgr said:
3 hours ago, chrisco37 said:

I'd rather it took me to the oldest unread post, so I could start reading threads where they left off.

Actually,  that is what they do.   I mis-typed.  It takes you to the point you left off at.  

Edited by chrisco37

• Administrator
On 2/15/2017 at 3:03 PM, Architecht said:

StartingPoint.thumb.jpg.f34175c93be4a126e07030ea88cadf73.jpg

Clicking on the thread title takes you to the start of the thread.
Clicking on the circle (or star) 1 takes you to the first unread post.
Clicking on the page number 2 takes you to the start of the that page.
Clicking on the time of the last post 3 takes you to the last post.

Added the above.

1 minute ago, fifties said:

There doesn't seem to be a preview- before actually posting- option, like there was before.  How I can do this?

click on the icon in the upper left next to the B for Bolding- that' the preview button.

to exit preview- click on the X in the upper rights of the preview

Screen Shot 2017-03-05 at 9.33.49 PM.png

Screen Shot 2017-03-05 at 9.34.48 PM.png

• Administrator

Added this tip:

RESPONDING PIECE BY PIECE TO A QUOTED POST
Put your cursor into their text just after the part you want to respond to and hit enter twice. This will split up the quoted post so you can respond to various pieces.

• Administrator

Added this at the top:

FIRST - YOU MAY WANT TO TURN ON SIGNATURES (under the settings menu at the top left)

SECOND - YOU MAY WANT TO CHANGE YOUR THEME (under the "theme" drop down at the very bottom of pages and on the left)

THIRD - YOU MAY WANT TO CHANGE THE WIDTH OF THE SITE (by clicking the pencil icon at the top)

Customize those preferences as you like

• Administrator

Added this:

GOING TO UNREAD REPLIES IN A PRIVATE MESSAGE
Click the black dot from the pop-up you get from the envelope at the top.

NOTE: This currently does NOT work from the full InBox page. We have filed a feature request to fix this.

For the technically minded among you, you CAN just paste this: ?latest=1  onto the end of the URL for a private message and it jumps you there, but that's a pretty difficult way to handle it. Better to just use the black dot from the envelope view.

• Administrator
1 hour ago, silverweb said:

Can someone tell me where to go for the latest posts in the CGC forum? I used to enjoy reading that.

The "Activity" menu at the top.

• Administrator

I added some pretty VITAL information to the block about search. Please see the red text to help you find things when searching:

SEARCH
Hover over the magnifying glass at the top on the right for a quick search box you can click in, without having to use the whole search form. Click it to get a more advanced search. NOTE: a general search will only search the most recent number of years of content - if you need to find older content, go to an advanced search and specify a date range!

• Administrator
On 4/25/2017 at 1:40 PM, Architecht said:

I added some pretty VITAL information to the block about search. Please see the red text to help you find things when searching:

SEARCH
Hover over the magnifying glass at the top on the right for a quick search box you can click in, without having to use the whole search form. Click it to get a more advanced search. NOTE: a general search will only search the most recent number of years of content - if you need to find older content, go to an advanced search and specify a date range!

After personally testing this, the above turns out to not be true. Updated in the parent post.