• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

TIPS for navigating the boards quickly
7 7

90 posts in this topic

On 3/6/2017 at 0:27 PM, Bobbyusc said:

How do I load a whole thread, not just a page.  Example:  If it is a 3 page thread, can I load all 3 pages? 

I would also like to know how to do this. The previous boards had an "All" button that would load all pages of a thread into one continuos page. Much easier to navigate. 

Can we please add this back?

• Administrator
17 hours ago, Chazgee said:

I would also like to know how to do this. The previous boards had an "All" button that would load all pages of a thread into one continuos page. Much easier to navigate. 

Can we please add this back?

That isn't possible in the new boards. No way to add it, and can be a performance problem if we did, so we are not currently planning to adjust this. There are a ton of features that make browsing faster and easier on the new boards to offset that change though. Please explore the options!

1 hour ago, Architecht said:

That isn't possible in the new boards. No way to add it, and can be a performance problem if we did, so we are not currently planning to adjust this. There are a ton of features that make browsing faster and easier on the new boards to offset that change though. Please explore the options!

Understood. Thanks for the quick response.  (thumbsu

I can't be "liked" ......   :frown:   I mean, there is no little heart click icon at bottom right of my posts.  Did I somehow disable it ?

Can no one see their own "like" icon ? 

Edited by Senormac
clarification

Just now, thehumantorch said:

Liked

hmmm.  thx dave .  I guess I never noticed that the heart was not there on my own posts until just now. 

I'm liked !  I"M LIKED !!   whoo hoo !!  :smile:

Is there a way to link to a specific post in a thread so when selected you jump to that page and it navigates down to said post and not just the top of that page?  Whether going to 'Content I started' or 'Content I posted in' it only shows the overall thread and not an entry for each post I've made. 

I'd like to use this for selling recaps so I can make a list on the last page of a thread and link directly to the books still available and not just the page they're on.

Wasn't sure where this is covered. But is there some trick to making the Search feature work consistently? I notice over the past month if you search for a topic, it hangs for an extended period of time when trying to add the Movies-TV-Games sub-forum to your forum search options. The progress indicator will just circle for an extended period of time. And it doesn't matter the browser, as if functions the same whether you use Firefox or IE 11.

Wt1FODx.png

1 hour ago, Bosco685 said:

Wasn't sure where this is covered. But is there some trick to making the Search feature work consistently? I notice over the past month if you search for a topic, it hangs for an extended period of time when trying to add the Movies-TV-Games sub-forum to your forum search options. The progress indicator will just circle for an extended period of time. And it doesn't matter the browser, as if functions the same whether you use Firefox or IE 11.

Wt1FODx.png

Hello @Bosco685

That doesn't happen when I search for a topic - my screen dump shows that my search doesn't even bring up the Movie sub-forum - I don't get the swirly circular progress buffer you're getting:

2.PNG.0c0e12950920b47c2f59c0e3a8b2eb90.PNG

Out of interest, you could just do a search on 'All Content' and, when the results appear (and mine appear quickly) select "....in content titles only" like so (fourth option along from the left):

3.thumb.PNG.c4f09689c6da1638422966e13166506f.PNG

If there is an issue, @Scott =) is always good at diving in and investigating 

41 minutes ago, Marwood & I said:

Hello @Bosco685

That doesn't happen when I search for a topic - my screen dump shows that my search doesn't even bring up the Movie sub-forum - I don't get the swirly circular progress buffer you're getting:

2.PNG.0c0e12950920b47c2f59c0e3a8b2eb90.PNG

Out of interest, you could just do a search on 'All Content' and, when the results appear (and mine appear quickly) select "....in content titles only" like so (fourth option along from the left):

3.thumb.PNG.c4f09689c6da1638422966e13166506f.PNG

If there is an issue, @Scott =) is always good at diving in and investigating 

Thanks for trying this out. Good to hear if anyone else is experiencing this.

The cycling occurs when you click Comics General and the search feature works to presents all the sub-options under this major category (I should have pulled that as an example image instead). It will note 'Loading' repeatedly, and then after you let it sit for a while it may come up with 'Movies-TV-Games sub-forum' as an option.

ofWgljN.png

Previously it worked fine, and only had a slight delay. Now, it hangs repeatedly. And that's even after clearing out all my cache to ensure it isn't my browser causing the slowdown.

But let me try your suggestions as well. Going a different path for searches may be the quick fix.

3 minutes ago, Bosco685 said:

Thanks for trying this out. Good to hear if anyone else is experiencing this.

The cycling occurs when you click Comics General and the search feature works to presents all the sub-options under this major category (I should have pulled that as an example image instead). It will note 'Loading' repeatedly, and then after you let it sit for a while it may come up with 'Movies-TV-Games sub-forum' as an option.

ofWgljN.png

Previously it worked fine, and only had a slight delay. Now, it hangs repeatedly. And that's even after clearing out all my cache to ensure it isn't my browser causing the slowdown.

But let me try your suggestions as well. Going a different path for searches may be the quick fix.

Ah, I see. I just tried again and this time clicked Comics General and I get it too now:

v.PNG.9684ebe4ddd7564a23b15bd3585be8b5.PNG

But, if I ignore it and click on search I get the results after only a few seconds of the 'fetching results' indicator commencing. So it may be that the buffer symbol is irrelevant - just click on search anyway? The only way to know I guess is if the topic you're searching for comes up or not. Let us know...

1 hour ago, Marwood & I said:

But, if I ignore it and click on search I get the results after only a few seconds of the 'fetching results' indicator commencing. So it may be that the buffer symbol is irrelevant - just click on search anyway? The only way to know I guess is if the topic you're searching for comes up or not. Let us know...

I was trying to look up the X-Files TV Show thread in the Movies-TV-Video Games sub-forum (I tracked it down 7 pages into the sub-forum).

X-Files returns

When I search using the standard feature - or even limit it by Topic and/or Content Title Only, it comes up with 0 results. And even when you add the Comics General to the Forum option, it presents the same results.

X0J2WbI.png

But when you can add the sub-forum to your search criteria, this would come up no problem. So I may just need to use an alternate search method when this comes up.

1 minute ago, Bosco685 said:

I was trying to look up the X-Files TV Show thread in the Movies-TV-Video Games sub-forum (I tracked it down 7 pages into the sub-forum).

X-Files returns

When I search using the standard feature - or even limit it by Topic and/or Content Title Only, it comes up with 0 results. And even when you add the Comics General to the Forum option, it presents the same results.

X0J2WbI.png

But when you can add the sub-forum to your search criteria, this would come up no problem. So I may just need to use an alternate search method when this comes up.

I think I know why - possibly the same issue as I flagged here:

14 minutes ago, Bosco685 said:

Thanks for the heads up. Let me give that a deeper read, as when I saw it initially today I thought it had to do with a thread disappearing.

:foryou:

No worries @Bosco685. I think it may well be the same thing.  If I search for "X-Files" I get zero results.  If I type just "Files" your thread appears. Scott / Arch advised that words with 3 letters or less don't show in search results, and adding them cancels out the other words. Hence my Dr Who Thread wouldn't come up etc

You have to be creative to find things sometimes!

• Administrator
On 10/6/2017 at 3:02 PM, davedawgbg said:

Is there a way to link to a specific post in a thread so when selected you jump to that page and it navigates down to said post and not just the top of that page?  Whether going to 'Content I started' or 'Content I posted in' it only shows the overall thread and not an entry for each post I've made. 

I'd like to use this for selling recaps so I can make a list on the last page of a thread and link directly to the books still available and not just the page they're on.

Yes there is. See the image below.

Link to a post.png

• Administrator
On 10/9/2017 at 9:07 AM, Bosco685 said:

Wt1FODx.png

We released an upgrade for the boards this morning which was supposed to resolve this issue with searching subforums. Unfortunately, I'm still seeing the issue :sorry:

I've followed up with the boards vendor to let them know that this still isn't working, and hopefully they'll provide a real resolution soon. Thank you for bringing this up.

Interestingly, upgrading the NGC/PMG chat boards to the latest version did successfully resolve this issue. Not sure why the CGC boards would be different... hm