• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

THE SUICIDE SQUAD directed by James Gunn (2021)
3 3

803 posts in this topic

James Gunn is hard at work on The Suicide Squad which is expected to go into production later this year. As he cruises through pre-production on the upcoming DC Comics movie, he is heading over to Instagram to share the first behind-the-scenes look in the form of a drawing.

Gunn has become known for sharing his work on social media and building excitement for his films. He has previously shared looks at Guardians of the Galaxy and Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 through mysterious storyboard drawings or set photos. It looks like The Suicide Squad won't be much different.

gunn-suicide-squad-storyboard-1168561.thumb.jpeg.256cff2e4bdd19913db7b897936f88b9.jpeg

Filmmaker James Gunn has told EW that he is  “excited” about directing The Suicide Squad (out Aug. 6, 2021), the follow-up to 2016’s Suicide Squad.

“I am in pre-production on The Suicide Squad, which I am enormously excited about,” said Gunn.

It was announced in August of last year that Gunn had signed on to write, and possibly direct, the new Suicide Squad film. The news came just a month after Disney let Gunn go as the director of Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3 following a controversy which erupted over some old, off-color tweets by the filmmaker. In March of this year, Disney announced that it was reinstating Gunn as the director of Guardians 3, on which he will go into production after completing work on The Suicide Squad.

Gunn was speaking to EW ahead of the release of the superhero-horror movie Brightburn, on which he is a producer. Directed by David Yarovesky, the film stars Elizabeth Banks and David Denman as a childless couple who raise an extraterrestrial boy (Jackson A. Dunn) with superpowers but a less than entirely benevolent attitude towards the human race. Gunn previously worked with Pitch Perfect 2 director Banks on his 2006 horror film Slither.

“Me and Kenny Huang, who produced [Brightburn] with me, we were driving from our lunch, when we decided to make the movie,” said Gunn. “He was like, ‘Who would you see in the lead?’ And I said, ‘Elizabeth would be the best, but I don’t think there’s any chance we’re going to get her.’ But she came on board immediately. The coolest thing about working with Elizabeth was that she has truly become a director between now and when I first worked with her and that shows up in her performance. It’s made her a much better actress than she was ten years ago.”

VARIETY: Jared Leto ‘Would Definitely’ Play the Joker Again

Jared Leto may not be done with playing the Joker. The Oscar winner says he’s open to revisiting the deranged supervillain he played in “Suicide Squad.”

“I would definitely play the Joker again,” Leto says. “It all depends on the -script and the circumstances as it always does.”

But maybe he already has. Asked if the rumors are true that he makes an appearance as the Joker in the upcoming Harley Quinn stand-alone movie “Birds of Prey,” Leto said, “I don’t think so. You’d have to ask them.”

But then he added, “Well, we’ll see.”

Leto says he hasn’t watched the trailer for “Joker,” director Todd Phillips’ upcoming psychological thriller with Joaquin Phoenix in the starring role, but says the more superhero movies, the better. Pointing to “Avengers: Endgame’s” opening weekend, Leto said, “I mean, five or 10 years ago, I don’t know if we thought that there would be people this excited about going to the movies this weekend.”

On 4/30/2019 at 11:46 AM, TwoPiece said:

Still hate the title.

I definitely can't get excited over "This is not 'Suicide Squad' as a sequel but rather 'THE Suicide Squad' meaning it's something unique. See what I mean?"

emotion01.gif.ac0c45cea66c6225070385159581aa8b.gif

27 minutes ago, Oddball said:

I guess I missed it, Elba is not Deadshot? What the hell?

He was never deadshot, people just assumed as it was announced at roughly the same time it was announced that Will Smith was not returning.

7 minutes ago, Bird said:

He was never deadshot, people just assumed as it was announced at roughly the same time it was announced that Will Smith was not returning.

The internet lies!

38186556-14F0-4EBE-8747-BDCE3C9A8AFA.jpeg

12 minutes ago, Oddball said:

The internet lies!

Yes it does I don’t think the studio ever announced he was going to be dead shot but everybody just assume that and ran with it

42 minutes ago, Oddball said:

The internet lies!

29 minutes ago, Bird said:

Yes it does I don’t think the studio ever announced he was going to be dead shot but everybody just assume that and ran with it

Bingo! This was the bloggers jumping to conclusions and posting what role Idris Elba was considering. WB never made an official announcement.

4 minutes ago, MetaHuman said:

I thought Will Smith was fine as Deadshot. It'll be interesting to see Elba's take on the character. Hopefully Gunn comes up with a better villain than the first film's villains. 

:whistle:You're not keeping up here!