• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

THE SUICIDE SQUAD directed by James Gunn (2021)
3 3

803 posts in this topic

After making Ronan look pretty dumb in GotG at the end, and Ego (a Celestial for millennia) being defeated so easily, I really have no hope that the villain for this film will be good.

I'm actually expecting this to be worse than Suicide Squad. Deadshot and Harley Quinn were almost literally the only good things about that film.

DEADLINE: Neither Horn nor Feige ever met with another director, but your exit was so emphatic. Had you come to grips with losing the franchise you’d brought to the screen?

GUNN: Yes. I was writing Suicide Squad and thought of Guardians 3 as being long gone. I guess it was a possibility for a while, but the initial conversations with Alan weren’t, “Let’s figure out if I should come back.” It was, “Let’s talk about this.” It was like the break-up of my marriage. I got divorced, and then had those conversations with my ex-wife: “Let’s get along as well as we possibly can and be kind to each other because we’re both a large part of each other’s lives.”

DEADLINE: You landed Suicide Squad 2 right after settling out with Disney. How did the reaction of rival studios allay fears you were now too ‘hot button’ to get another job?

GUNN: The studios, for the most part, said, “We’d love to have you.” They called within the first two days. But I didn’t believe it. That’s the thing that I have to be honest about. On some theoretical level, I was like, “Well, maybe I do have a future.” I’m a fairly logic-oriented person and that helped, but emotionally, there was not a whole lot there to hold onto. That was good for me, too, because what I needed to do was stop making my career be what makes me worthwhile and start making me just be OK as myself. That is what I concentrated on. I concentrated on the fun. The Suicide Squad, it just instantly started flowing. I don’t think I’ve had as much fun writing a -script since maybe Dawn of the Dead. That’s what this whole movie has been like.

DEADLINE: From one who has come out the other side, what do you make of the current industry climate, in which behaviors are being exposed and people often banished?

GUNN: There’s a lot of really positive stuff that’s coming out of all of this, and one of those positives is I was able to learn. People have to be able to learn from mistakes. If we take away the possibility for someone to learn and become a better person, I’m not sure what we are left with. I’ve learned all kinds of things about myself through this process.

What a positive guy about the entire situation.

17 hours ago, TwoPiece said:

Suicide Squad was on TV yesterday.

It's so :censored:ing awful.

What "weapon" was Enchantress even 'making'?

Yes, I saw it in theaters, but hadn't watched it since then. My awe in its awfulness is just reawakened.

Will Smith was my favorite part of the movie, followed by Margot Robbie and Adam Beach. Beyond that, it was unwatchable and I skip the parts they aren't in.

4 hours ago, Hawkman said:

Will Smith was my favorite part of the movie, followed by Margot Robbie and Adam Beach. Beyond that, it was unwatchable and I skip the parts they aren't in.

Adam Beach? Who was in the film for what? 3 minutes?

I mean, Iike him and all as an actor but the way his role was written was idiotic.

This film was worse than Jonah Hex *and* Ghost Rider in terms of having-a-cool-premise-and-ting-on-it failure.

20 minutes ago, Gatsby77 said:

I mean, Iike him and all as an actor but the way his role was written was idiotic.

This film was worse than Jonah Hex *and* Ghost Rider in terms of having-a-cool-premise-and-ting-on-it failure.

It is good to see the three of you find common ground. 'You hate Suicide Squad? I hate Suicide Squad too. Let's hate it together!' :insane:

But it is crazy even after all the WB tampering creating 6 different versions of the film it still was a financial success, won an Academy Award and had a huge home theater sales success.

suicidesquad01.JPG.c5909403c93e1d66c50783571a8f4f5b.JPG

Imagine if WB had just left it alone, and let the director go with the original intended story involving Darkseid's plan to invade Earth. Could have helped tie the DCU stories together much stronger.

On 7/9/2019 at 6:09 AM, Bosco685 said:

It is good to see the three of you find common ground. 'You hate Suicide Squad? I hate Suicide Squad too. Let's hate it together!' :insane:

But it is crazy even after all the WB tampering creating 6 different versions of the film it still was a financial success, won an Academy Award and had a huge home theater sales success.

suicidesquad01.JPG.c5909403c93e1d66c50783571a8f4f5b.JPG

Imagine if WB had just left it alone, and let the director go with the original intended story involving Darkseid's plan to invade Earth. Could have helped tie the DCU stories together much stronger.

Umm...the Transformers sequels made *billions.*

They're still trash.

17 minutes ago, Gatsby77 said:

Umm...the Transformers sequels made *billions.*

They're still trash.

'Well, Transformers made a bunch of money and look how bad those are'. :roflmao:

So fresh. So original.

The Transformers after #1 are trash that jabronis watch. Kinda like the Fast and Furious movies.

They make money because the brainless Idiocracy people flock to the theater to watch SPLOSIONS.

I have no idea how Suicide Squad made money. Probably the Harley fanboys and fangirls. It's a truly pathetic movie.

1 minute ago, TwoPiece said:

The Transformers after #1 are trash that jabronis watch. Kinda like the Fast and Furious movies.

They make money because the brainless Idiocracy people flock to the theater to watch SPLOSIONS.

I have no idea how Suicide Squad made money. Probably the Harley fanboys and fangirls. It's a truly pathetic movie.

I think it really came down to those things concerning a first big Harley Quinn live appearance in a film. Plus with Will Smith he also brings a fanatical following.

But for those where English is not your first language, my noting Suicide Squad actually was quite profitable isn't defending it. I was noting WB could have made so much more money if it had stuck with the original plan.

#RosettaStoneAdvancedClasses

8 minutes ago, Bosco685 said:

I think it really came down to those things concerning a first big Harley Quinn live appearance in a film. Plus with Will Smith he also brings a fanatical following.

But for those where English is not your first language, my noting Suicide Squad actually was quite profitable isn't defending it. I was noting WB could have made so much more money if it had stuck with the original plan.

#RosettaStoneAdvancedClasses

How interesting is it that Zack Snyder was heavily-involved early-on and his plans were scrapped...

Imagine how successful Worlds of DC would be if they didn't handcuff their 'creative committee'...

1 minute ago, TwoPiece said:

How interesting is it that Zack Snyder was heavily-involved early-on and his plans were scrapped...

Imagine how successful Worlds of DC would be if they didn't handcuff their 'creative committee'...

One shot in butt for them was when China decided not to allow Suicide Squad supposedly because 1) Katana's clearly displayed Japanese rising sun symbol, and 2) Enchantress being a witch which supposedly disturbed the review committee. I find 2 questionable, as even when you look at their own regional films like Forbidden Kingdom there is witchcraft involved.

On 7/9/2019 at 2:44 AM, Gatsby77 said:

No matter how short his role was, I'm a big fan. Always like seeing him in major movies.