• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

THE SUICIDE SQUAD directed by James Gunn (2021)
3 3

803 posts in this topic

46 minutes ago, D84 said:

I agree. It felt too much like a generic Marvel movie, only with swearing. 

The 'peni on the beach' joke came across like Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 with the 'turd in your sleeping bag' joke.

34 minutes ago, Bosco685 said:

And the shock jokes are fun at times. But not as a staple of your film designs.

True. But as far as story is concerned, has Gunn failed to deliver? Dawn of the Dead. Slither. Super. GOTG 1 & 2. I know some people don't like GOTG 2 but I thought storywise it was well done and while there was a lot going on it was all wrapped together under theme of family and how everyone needs family - whether it is by blood or otherwise.

1 hour ago, D84 said:

The whole trailer felt like Guardians of the Suicide Squad. 

Yeah, I'm sure there have been a lot of people showing us how King Shark is Groot, Peacemaker is Drax, Rick Flag is Peter Quill, Polkadot Man is Rocket, etc.

Throw in some 70's Tunes...

Edited by thunsicker

30 minutes ago, Kramerica said:

True. But as far as story is concerned, has Gunn failed to deliver? Dawn of the Dead. Slither. Super. GOTG 1 & 2. I know some people don't like GOTG 2 but I thought storywise it was well done and while there was a lot going on it was all wrapped together under theme of family and how everyone needs family - whether it is by blood or otherwise.

Oh, he will definitely deliver. WB hired him during heated times for that very reason.

And I guess when you are dealing with villains that probably have huge egos so they will trash talk the mocking will make sense. So it may fit his director approach more than other productions.

4 hours ago, D84 said:

The whole trailer felt like Guardians of the Suicide Squad. 

I thought that too, and I think that's good. That tone will work well for this cast of characters, and Gunn has demonstrated multiple times that he can make it work (as opposed to a different director trying to imitate the style).

Since the first Suicide Squad was clearly a WB attempt at a GOTG like movie, it makes sense they would leave Gunn alone. I think the pitch meeting where Gunn lists his Squad and then explains Starro appears may be better viewing than the first film.

11 hours ago, Muno42 said:

Since the first Suicide Squad was clearly a WB attempt at a GOTG like movie, it makes sense they would leave Gunn alone. I think the pitch meeting where Gunn lists his Squad and then explains Starro appears may be better viewing than the first film.

David Ayer noted it recently what drove WB to change his approach: Deadpool's success (released 2/12/16). So then over a few months WB severely altered the finished film to match its action and comedy working with a trailer marketing company to create 6 different cuts before its release to determine the one it wanted to release (8/5/16).

That's the reality of the situation.

6 minutes ago, Muno42 said:

When has that ever worked? It is amazing that the major studios lasted at all.

That's what's so incredible. Especially from a studio that lauds itself on being so director-driven to the point even the directors assume this.

Warner Bros. is Building a 'Director-Driven' Superhero Universe, Says Nightwing Director

McKay, who’s slated to direct the in-development Nightwing movie for Warner Bros, suggested as much in a recent interview with Metro. “Warner Bros. is a more director-driven studio,” he said. “Period. The end. More than any other studio you’re ever going to work at. Just look at the roster of world class filmmakers that have worked at Warner Bros and made it their home. Warner Bros is a director-driven studio, and that’s exactly how they are operating these movies.”

Ask the director Chris McKay how Nightwing is coming along. Another solid film leader wasted as he sat on the sidelines.

:facepalm:

Even though the Green Band Trailer was far superior than the Red Band Trailer, the latter has exploded with viewings.

The Suicide Squad has set a new record by getting 150 million views for its red band trailer. The DCEU’s first attempt at the Suicide Squad came in 2016, as David Ayer directed DC’s ensemble film. However, despite being a box office success, the film bombed with its reception from both critics and audiences, partly due to its tame PG-13 approach. Warner Bros. later hired James Gunn to take the reins of The Suicide Squad, a soft reboot/sequel, which will see Amanda Waller’s Task Force X embark on a dangerous mission to the island of Corto Maltese. The much-anticipated DCEU project has generated the right type of buzz thanks to its red band trailer.

On 4/1/2021 at 1:21 PM, Kramerica said:

GotG Vol. 2 is one of the worst MCU films. The story is very bad not only on its own, but for the Infinity Saga. It's grade-A comedy, but it's bad storytelling. Some of the family elements were good, but ultimately there's nothing at stake. The only conflict is self-created and doesn't make any of the characters look or feel heroic.

1 hour ago, bpc3qh said:

I enjoyed GotG 2. It isn't the best MCU film for sure, but it's an enjoyable 2 hours with solid humor and music, good acting, and an interesting way to follow-up the first feature.

Baby Groot with the big tow was worth the price of admission.