• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

THE SUICIDE SQUAD directed by James Gunn (2021)
3 3

803 posts in this topic

Warner Bros. Courts Mel Gibson to Direct 'Suicide Squad' Sequel

sucidie-squad-mel-gibson-232332.jpg

Mel Gibson is mulling joining the DC Extended Universe … as a director.

Warner Bros. is courting the actor-director to helm Suicide Squad 2 and the sides are early in talks, The Hollywood Reporter has learned. No official offer has been made nor has any commitment. Sources say that Gibson is familiarizing himself with the material. But the studio is not being passive and is also looking at other directors, Daniel Espinosa among them.

David Ayer directed the initial outing, which featured an all-star cast that included Will Smith, Margot Robbie and Jared Leto. The 2016 movie faced some hurdles during production and was met with somewhat polarizing response, but grossed $745 million worldwide, enough to put a sequel on the fast-track.

Ayer is now developing Gotham City Sirens, a project that reunites him with Robbie and focuses on the female villains of the DC Universe.

Suicide Squad told the story of such villains as Deadshot, Harley Quinn, the Joker, Captain Boomerang and Killer Croc, who are forced into the service of the government in exchange for lighter sentences.

SUICIDE SQUAD 2 Lands A Writer In THE LEGEND OR TARZAN Scribe Adam Cozad

149650.jpg

According to THR, Warner Bros. is in negotiations with The Legend of Tarzan writer Adam Cozad to pen the -script for their Suicide Squad sequel. Cozad also wrote 2014’s Jack Ryan: Shadow Recruit, as well as Underwater, which is an adventure movie currently in development at Fox with Kristen Stewart attached to star.

The trade also confirms that the studio is still searching for a director to take over from David Ayer, and has "made overtures" to several filmmakers, including Mel Gibson. Apparently, they are primarily focused on nailing down the story first.

SUICIDE SQUAD 2: Another Director Named As Being In The Running To Helm The Sequel

Harley_Quinn.jpg

According to Jeff Sneider on the latest addition of Meet The Movie Press, Jaume-Collet Serra is now another name in the running for the Suicide Squad follow-up. He directed Blake Lively in shark thriller The Shallows, but his other credits are mostly made up of fun action movies starring Liam Neeson like Unknown, Non-Stop, and Run All Night. So, definitely not a bad choice then.

Sneider points out that Collet-Serra was previously attached to helm Warner Bros.' stalled Akira adaptation and notes that he's represented by the same agency as Robbie. That could help make the transition of him taking over here much easier, though it's still obviously very early days, so as with Gibson, we'd best not start getting too excited just yet.

Looks like Guy Ritchie has interest.

KING ARTHUR Director Guy Ritchie Thinks He Could "Do A Good Job" With A SUICIDE SQUAD Movie

150902.jpg

Though Ritchie didn't outright confirm that any talks had taken place, he did seem to suggest that there was a conversation or two regarding him possibly getting behind the camera for the planned Suicide Squad sequel:

"I quite fancy doing Suicide Squad 2, because I thought I could do a good job with it. I can’t do it because I’m doing something else, but I’ve felt I could really do something with that."

That definitely sounds like Ritchie would have been interested in coming aboard the project if he hadn't already committed to Disney's live-action Aladdin movie. However, he may still get his chance if a third movie ever goes ahead.

Last we heard, WB was still meeting with several filmmakers (including Ruben Fleischer, Daniel Espinosa, Jonathan Levine and Mel Gibson) but, as far as we know, hasn't settled on a director for Suicide Squad 2 yet.

SUICIDE SQUAD 2 Won't Start Filming Until 2018 According To Joel Kinnaman

In an interview with The Hollywood Reporter to promote his supporting role in Netflix's House of Cards season 5, Joel Kinnaman briefly commented on the status of the Suicide Squad sequel.

"As far as I know they’re writing the -script and I think the plan is to shoot it sometime in 2018, but that could change. I think I’ll definitely come back for it."

If Kinnaman had his druthers, he'd like Ayer to return to craft another adventure for Task Force X.  However, that appears to be unlikely as Ayer is most likely too busy with Margot Robbie's Gotham City Sirens.

"Ultimately, I’d love for David Ayer to direct it, but if he doesn’t want to direct it then someone who is great with character and that’s able to ground the story and maybe put these characters in a more normal situation. It would be really interesting to see these crazy characters interact with regular people as well."

With Suicide Squad 2 filming beginning "sometime in 2018" that means the film won't be released until 2019 at the earliest.  

Jaume Collet-Serra Frontrunner For ‘Suicide Squad’ Sequel

jaume-collet-serra.jpg?w=446&h=299&crop=

EXCLUSIVE: The Shallows Jaume Collet-Serra has emerged as front-runner choice to direct Suicide Squad 2, the next installment of the 2016 Warner Bros DC film that grossed $745 million worldwide. The studio looked at a number of filmmakers — Mel Gibson among them — but sources said the studio is focused on Collet-Serra to take the reins of a franchise that has Will Smith, Margot Robbie back in the ensemble.

Collet-Serra, the Spanish director who broke into Hollywood with the genre hit Orphan and followed with the hits Non-Stop and The Shallows and has upcoming the 2018 Liam Neeson starrer The Commuter.  He is in high demand and recently became attached to Annapurna’s Waco, a drama scripted by Zero Dark Thirty’s Mark Boal and Kubo and the Two Strings’ Marc Haimes about the 1993 standoff between the FBI and Texas state law enforcement and the David Koresh-led Branch Davidians that turned the sleepy town of Elk, just outside of Waco, into a battle zone.

Although he never officially committed to the director position...

SUICIDE SQUAD 2 Director Search Continues As Jaume Collet-Serra Boards Dwayne Johnson's JUNGLE CRUISE

152957.jpg

Following a recent report that The Shallows director Jaume Collet-Serra had emerged as Warner Bros.' first choice to helm Suicide Squad 2, Deadline has now revealed that the Spanish filmmaker has actually signed on to direct Disney's Jungle Cruise with Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson, taking him out of the running to replace David Ayer on the supervillain sequel.

Though Collet-Serra was said to be the studio's top choice, discussions were still taking place with several other directors, so they may already have someone in mind to take over. Could it be Mel Gibson, perhaps?

We knew both Will Smith and Margot Robbie were locked in to reprise the roles of Deadshot and Harley Quinn, but Jared Leto's return as The Joker was still up in the air. Well, according to Deadline the Academy Award-winner is indeed set to rejoin his castmates as The Clown Prince of Crime. 

Joker Actor Jared Leto Addresses Rumors That He's Done Portraying Gotham's Clown Prince Of Crime In The DCEU

jared-leto-teases-joker-vs-batman.jpg

Two days ago, Deadline's report on a standalone Joker origin film led many to speculate that Jared Leto was done playing the character in the DC Films Universe. However, a day later, new reports clarified that Leto would actually be returning for Suicide Squad 2, a Joker and Harley film and possibly Gotham City Sirens.

It seems around this same time, Leto was a guest on the Australian radio show Kyle and Jackie O, where he cleared up any confusion.  

Here's what Leto told the hosts when pressed on whether he's finsihed with the role :

"No, there's so much hype and bullsh-- about that, I think it's just fun thing to talk about. Even when [Suicide Squad] came out, there was so much misrepresentation about what went down, about the method acting . It's just that 90% of it was not even true. It just takes on a life of its own."

"[Filming Suicide Squad] was an incredible experience, everyone was amazing. Margot Robbie [is] one of the nicest people and one of the best actresses I've ever worked with. I really loved working with her."

"I thought the scenes we did together were some of the most fun I've ever had on a set before. But everything is great in that world and I'm really proud to be a part of it."

Edited by Bosco685

Gavin O'Connor to Direct 'Suicide Squad 2'

Gavin O’Connor, who directed Ben Affleck in the hit action thriller The Accountant, has been chosen to write and direct Suicide Squad 2.

His coming on board caps off months of Warner Bros searching for someone to helm the sequel to its all-star movie. Mel Gibson was a front-runner early in the year while Jaume Collet-Serra, who directed the shark thriller The Shallows, was the front-runner in the summer before he took the job directing Jungle Cruise for Disney. 

David Ayer directed the first Suicide Squad, which followed villains Deadshot, Harley Quinn, the Joker, Captain Boomerang and Killer Croc who are forced into the service of the government in exchange for lighter sentences.

FORBES.COM: Why Gavin O'Connor Is A Perfect Pick To Direct 'Suicide Squad 2'

This almost makes too much sense. We just got word that Warner Bros./Time Warner Inc. has finally settled upon a writer/director for their official sequel to last summer's Suicide Squad. No, it's not Mel Gibson or even Jaume Collet-Serra (who flirted with the gig before departing for what I can only presume will be a very Hitchcockian take on Walt Disney's The Jungle Cruise). No the man who will direct the follow-up to David Ayer's Suicide Squad is Gavin O'Connor. He is a strong, journeyman filmmaker, one with a recent hit for Warner Bros. and Ben Affleck on his resume with The Accountant. And, it is his reputation as a solid craftsman as opposed to an eclectic auteur that arguably makes him a perfect fit for this action sequel.

@Jaydogrules 

It's no secret that I hated the first Suicide Squad, although who can say if I would have enjoyed the original version that allegedly existed before panicking WB executives hacked it up in response to A) the poor reception of Batman v Superman and B) the positive reception to Suicide Squad's first humorous trailer. Yes, WB's marketing is so good that they can get Wonder Woman to $800 million+ despite "having no marketing" and inadvertently ruin a movie by cutting too good of a trailer that doesn't match the tone of the intended product. Come what may, that's damn impressive.

As for Mr. O'Connor, he scored an encouraging hit with The Accountant, an original, R-rated, adult-skewing and star-driven action movie which earned $155 million on a $44m budget, which indeed spawned an "in development" sequel which will see Affleck return as an autistic accountant who moonlights as a murder-y vigilante. So, there's a nice accidental franchise for you. And yeah, I rather liked Miracle and Warrior and I didn't hate Jane Got A Gun. So whether or not the world needs a Suicide Squad 2 and/or its potential to be a "Tomb Raider Trap" sequel, I'm happy to see a solid craftsman getting the gig.

'Suicide Squad 2' To Start Filming Soon

Filming begins on Suicide Squad 2 in the middle of March 2018, according to a new listing from My Entertainment World. The production listing comes after rumors of a delay until later in the year, reportedly due to Will Smith's schedule.

New director Gavin O'Connor replaced David Ayer for the sequel, though Ayer is still involved with the developing Gotham City Sirens film focused on Harley Quinn, Poison Ivy, and Catwoman.

Though the returning cast members are not yet confirmed, the production listing points toward who will likely be involved in the film:

"The film is about Deadshot, Harley Quinn, the Joker, Captain Boomerang and Killer Croc working together to help the government."

How ‘Suicide Squad 2’ May Introduce The Rock’s Black Adam (Exclusive)

“Suicide Squad 2” may serve as Dwayne “The Rock” Johnson’s introduction to the DC Universe as the super-villain Black Adam, two insiders familiar with the idea told TheWrap.

The insiders told TheWrap that the current plan for the sequel is for the members of Suicide Squad to be tasked with tracking down a weapon of mass destruction. That weapon? Black Adam himself. The villain is best known in DC Comics as the main nemesis of superhero Shazam.

“The Rock” first hinted at what’s cooking in May, when he told Fandango, “We have a really cool surprise for Black Adam that I can’t reveal, in terms of where we will see Black Adam being introduced.”

“Suicide Squad 2” is scheduled for an October 2018 production start, and The Rock’s busy schedule during that time includes a potential fifth season of HBO’s “Ballers,” Disney’s “Jungle Cruise,” and his “Fast and Furious” spin-off with Jason Statham.