• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

THE SUICIDE SQUAD directed by James Gunn (2021)
3 3

803 posts in this topic

On 7/10/2019 at 7:54 AM, TwoPiece said:

How interesting is it that Zack Snyder was heavily-involved early-on and his plans were scrapped...

Imagine how successful Worlds of DC would be if they didn't handcuff their 'creative committee'...

Snyder is part of the reason it flopped as well with BvS and then Justice League. While I was fine with them due to the darker tone, and being a Batman fanboy, both films were box office duds due to the approach he took with the tone and story to begin with.

Edited by kimik

11 minutes ago, kimik said:

Snyder is part of the reason it flopped as well with BvS and then Justice League. While I was fine with them due to the darker tone, and being a Batman fanboy, both films were box office duds due to the approach he took with the tone and story to begin with.

BVS was a box office dud? Let me guess. It didn't make one-billion dollars, yada, yada, yada....

1 minute ago, Bosco685 said:

BVS was a box office dud? Let me guess. It didn't make one-billion dollars, yada, yada, yada....

I guess I should have said critical dud, but it still underperformed at the box office. Expectations were $1B+, and it did not hit it.

Regardless, the movie viewing public made it clear that they did not overly care for the Snyder approach to the DCU.

Edited by kimik

2 minutes ago, kimik said:

I guess I should have said critical dud, but it still underperformed at the box office. Expectations were $1B+, and it did not hit it.

Regardless, the movie viewing public made it clear that they did not overly care for the Snyder approach to the DCU.

Regardless, you're singing the same song again. The movie-viewing public in the Domestic Market alone spent $78.6M on DVD and Bluray media, not including Digital sales nor International Media sales.

DC_MCU_BO190712b.JPG.c34788a2d68b28c5a7e1bd3eb0871d54.JPG

And even though the critical response and mixed audience reviews disrupted a stronger finish, the film made WB $105.7M after all costs and revenue sharing was completed.

DC_MCU_BO190712c.JPG.54f6f3a1422859912c969c62472408a1.JPG

I am not disputing it was profitable, just that a movie with the DC Trinity could not top $1B = failure when the Marvel ensemble Avengers movies all topped $1B, including the turd of Civil War. Do you really believe that WB/DC Cinema execs were happy with $873M for a WW box office total after seeing the results from the first two Avengers films and Iron Man 3? 

And, as I discussed in the Venom thread re: Aquaman, those numbers you posted for BvS profitability are low. They received at least $35M in public support for filming in Michigan: https://www.michigancapitolconfidential.com/20651, and there were plenty of product placements in the film. Based on the numbers presented there, it looks like 32% of production costs in Michigan (estimated $131M) were covered by grants. The film also received subsidies and or tax credits in other states.

Edited by kimik

8 minutes ago, kimik said:

I am not disputing it was profitable, just that a movie with the DC Trinity could not top $1B = failure when the Marvel ensemble Avengers movies all topped $1B, including the turd of Civil War. Do you really believe that WB/DC Cinema execs were happy with $873M for a WW box office total after seeing the results from the first two Avengers films and Iron Man 3? 

And, as I discussed in the Venom thread re: Aquaman, those numbers you posted for BvS profitability are low. They received at least $35M in public support for filming in Michigan: https://www.michigancapitolconfidential.com/20651, and there were plenty of product placements in the film. Based on the numbers presented there, it looks like 32% of production costs in Michigan (estimated $131M) were covered by grants. The film also received subsidies and or tax credits in other states.

You said it was a dud. A dud is something that bombed. It did not bomb, even with the other-reaction to how dark and intense it was. So even with all that negativity towards the film, it still was easily profitable and excelled at Home Sales. So our were trying too hard on that one.

Then the typical 'this is the Trinity - it should have done $1B' - based on what fact? Do you have some financial analysis that proves this out, other than your movie experience you have shared on here?

And with the grants and tax incentives - are you saying this was beyond the norm for these films so therefore this is unique??

Captain America: Civil War was filmed in Georgia other than four weeks in Germany.

Do Film Tax Credits Really Work (Georgia Film Tax Program evaluated)

Production companies can earn tax credits up to 30 percent of what they spend in Georgia when they meet certain standards.

Cap3 cost $250M product budget alone. So even if it spent $200M in Georgia, that could lead to a $60M tax incentive. Which is why Georgia government has questioned if this is worth doing to drive more business in the area.

On 7/9/2019 at 3:09 AM, Bosco685 said:

It is good to see the three of you find common ground. 'You hate Suicide Squad? I hate Suicide Squad too. Let's hate it together!' :insane:

But it is crazy even after all the WB tampering creating 6 different versions of the film it still was a financial success, won an Academy Award and had a huge home theater sales success.

suicidesquad01.JPG.c5909403c93e1d66c50783571a8f4f5b.JPG

TwoPiece is very informative on a lot of subjects. When he's right, which is more than often, I have no problem agreeing with him, and I will, but, as I've made perfectly clear, I will confront him when I think he's out of line. I will not be silent or complicit in anything i feel is wrong, regardless what any poster here, or this website, wants. I will not look the other way. Ever. I will stand behind my convictions 100%. We need to stop being silent. We can call each other out, which is a good thing and healthy, when necessary. If he won't listen, that's on him. But I won't say he isn't on point about things when he is.

5 hours ago, Hawkman said:

TwoPiece is very informative on a lot of subjects. When he's right, which is more than often, I have no problem agreeing with him, and I will, but, as I've made perfectly clear, I will confront him when I think he's out of line. I will not be silent or complicit in anything i feel is wrong, regardless what any poster here, or this website, wants. I will not look the other way. Ever. I will stand behind my convictions 100%. We need to stop being silent. We can call each other out, which is a good thing and healthy, when necessary. If he won't listen, that's on him. But I won't say he isn't on point about things when he is.

Norma Rae, is that you out there?

:baiting:

Just kidding. But the back and forth over Captain Marvel has been very ugly many times with the fixation to overly-detract from it, and the over-selling it as a super-solid film and if anyone disagrees they are sexists. So 'being silent' has been the least concern.

WB execs overreacting to critics and bloggers did real damage to its DCU brand, and eroded trust from audiences and creators. Even with Suicide Squad allowing a trailer marketing company to cut 6 different versions of the film is just crazy. Yet with that stupidity the movie turned a very nice profit, received recognition via awards and a sequel and spin-offs (both a pending streaming animated show and Birds of Prey). Still, with no China release too.

Imagine if WB had 1) better planned this out, 2) marketed the entire plan much stronger and clearer including the Elseworlds concept, and 3) stuck to its plan. It could have been in a much better spot. It didn't, leading to huge shake-ups and Walter Hamada to step in and fight his way forward. It's a real shame. But at least he is getting wins. Though with Shazam how that poor release planning came about is nuts.

rantrant

Edited by Bosco685

On 7/12/2019 at 4:18 PM, kimik said:

Nope.

Before long, James Gunn's The Suicide Squad will begin production, serving as a soft reboot to David Ayer's critically-panned Suicide Squad. In fact, filming is imminent according to one person close to the production. Earlier today, we spoke with Guardians of the Galaxy star Sean Gunn — brother of James — and he told us production is ramping up pretty soon.

Though he stopped short of confirming he'd appear in the movie, Gunn admits he's read the -script to The Suicide Squad and says it's pretty darn good.

"We'll see," Gunn says of a role. "I know that he's [James] very excited about shooting and now that I have read the -script for it and I will say nothing other than that it's really good. And I know that he's pretty jazzed about it, so I'm definitely excited to hear what happens next. But they start shooting soon."

25 minutes ago, theCapraAegagrus said:

Did WODC change the title to "The Suicide Squad 2"?

I've seen graphics, recently, with a 2 on it.

I don't think so. Not yet, anyway. They are being very secretive on the stage this film will end up (sequel or reboot) with the answers given.

James Gunn made one thing clear recently about Suicide Squad.

When one fan asked to see Batman in Gunn's movie, the director took to Instagram to put an end to the speculation. Gunn wrote:

"You can check out Batman in #TheBatman, June 2021. #TheSuicideSquad will feature mostly, you know, The Suicide Squad."

Jared Leto’s Joker May Return For The Suicide Squad

One of the most talked-about aspects of the first Suicide Squad was Jared Leto’s performance as the Joker, with the actor’s take on the iconic villain proving to be hugely divisive. Leto himself has publicly spoken about his disappointment in finding out that a lot of his scenes were cut from the movie, but has never ruled out the possibility of playing the Clown Prince of Crime once again.

He may soon get his wish, too, as We Got This Covered has managed to get our hands on an official production document from The Suicide Squad that lists the actor among the cast list. Our sources haven’t yet been able to confirm or deny whether or not Leto is definitely onboard for the sequel though, and Warner Bros. wouldn’t comment on the document when we reached out to them, either. For all we know, whoever put this document together could’ve made a mistake, but given that it comes directly from the production team, that seems unlikely.