• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Wild Storm Warren Ellis

36 posts in this topic

Awesome ! So happy that Warren Ellis is back to work, writing the characters that made me love comics...again  (thumbsu

Warren is a master of making words flow and his conversations between characters seem very natural. The best thing about this book might also be the worst  thing. If you weren't already familiar with this universe and it's characters, the story may not be nearly as exciting as it will be to those familiar with the Wildcats and The Authority. This is a must read for fans of those titles.  Personally, I'm so stoked that I can't stand the wait for issue #2...and hopefully that wait isn't long.  

Spoiler

I was thrilled to see the Engineer back in action with Ellis at the helm. :banana:

1 hour ago, FutureFlash said:

I liked it a lot...my LCS didn't have any of the Lee covers for some odd reason. I need to track one down. Also I need to get in gear and read Vol2 of Stormwatch (and Authority).

You're slacking. It's amazing.

3 hours ago, The Brain said:

Will Jim Lee be on this book long term?? 

Been looking for a new read. Like both writer

and artist.

Lee is only doing variants for the first few issues, as of now. Maybe he keeps doing variants? only the first few issues have been solicited so far & they all have a Lee variant.

9 minutes ago, Doktor said:

Lee is only doing variants for the first few issues, as of now. Maybe he keeps doing variants? only the first few issues have been solicited so far & they all have a Lee variant.

Thanks. Who is the artist then??

Just read the 1st issue & it is REALLY good. Like all the best parts of the Ellis-era WSU distilled down into something new & great. Tightly written but with enough easter eggs to old-school WSU fans & just enough of a hint of what is to come. Like this little taste of everything quintessentially Wildstorm that is just waiting to explode into a half dozen or so titles down the line. Little hints at Cray. Little hints at the Authority. References to StormWatch. A taste of the original WildCats mixed with Version 3.0 and the I.O. connection that ties the universe together as the more black-ops, semi-evil version of this universe's SHIELD. 

I'm already foaming at the mouth for issue 2

23 hours ago, FutureFlash said:

I liked it a lot...my LCS didn't have any of the Lee covers for some odd reason. I need to track one down. Also I need to get in gear and read Vol2 of Stormwatch (and Authority).

Originally, Jim Lee variant was supposed to have been 1:50 and Jim Lee B&W 1:100 with no returnability. Some retailers complained I guess since DC eventually made Wild Storm returnable. I reckon it's because of this change that DC made the Jim Lee variant to free to order and had the Jim Lee B&W variant exclusive to ComicsPro attendees.

Maybe your LCS didn't know about the change?

Edited by aerischan

On 2/17/2017 at 10:25 AM, aerischan said:

Originally, Jim Lee variant was supposed to have been 1:50 and Jim Lee B&W 1:100 with no returnability. Some retailers complained I guess since DC eventually made Wild Storm returnable. I reckon it's because of this change that DC made the Jim Lee variant to free to order and had the Jim Lee B&W variant exclusive to ComicsPro attendees.

Maybe your LCS didn't know about the change?

Yeah they may have just ordered the normal cover.

:wishluck:

Spoiler

So far it has been a story focused on "The Engineer", Angie Spica. She has been powered down more than a little to this point but is very interesting. Henry Bendix, Jacob Marlowe, Grifter, Zealot, Treelane, and many others have already been in the first 2 issues along with many others. My personal hopes are that Ellis brings back the Authority/Stormwatch that I fell in love with almost 20 years ago. They haven't been written very well since he and later, Mark Millar, left the book. There is no way for the Authority or Stormwatch to really thrive in the primary DCU. DC would never allow Batman, Superman, Flash, Wonder Woman, and the like to take a backseat to this team. 

Since this is a reboot, there is the possibility for some old favorites to return. I would love to see Jenny Sparks, Winter, Hawksmoor, Rose Tattoo, Battalion, Swift, Fuji, Hellstrike, and especially the original Authority versions of Midnighter and Apollo. Planetary would be super interesting but other than some forced meetings, they don't play well with others. I'm absolutely thrilled thinking of the possibilities for the 4 books once they all hit the shelves. :tink:

Just read #2 last night & really enjoyed it. It took me a little while to remember who Kenada was though. I'm really looking forward to seeing what Ellis is building in Wildstorm 2.0