• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Wild Storm Warren Ellis

36 posts in this topic

On 4/19/2017 at 10:29 PM, the authority said:

Issue #3 is another great read. So happy this universe is back with the man, the myth, the legend at the helm. Wonderful. 

Agreed, issue #3 was my first read of this weeks batch of comics. Sweet Lee cover to boot.

Oh , I completely spaced that this ever came out. Better see if I can catch up! I picked up a cheap collection last week, and it has near complete or complete runs of pretty much all of the old 90's Wildstorm stuff, so I'm sorta in the mood for these characters right now.

Just caught up with issues #5 and #6. Loved them both and can't believe how much fun this series has been to this point. 

Spoiler

I'm really hoping to see more of The Authority and Stormwatch incorporated in the story. That would be the icing on the cake. 

9 hours ago, the authority said:

Just caught up with issues #5 and #6. Loved them both and can't believe how much fun this series has been to this point. 

Hide contents

I'm really hoping to see more of The Authority and Stormwatch incorporated in the story. That would be the icing on the cake. 

I agree! Great read so far, and Jim Lee covers have been pretty ace as well.

This series reads great in runs. It is absolutely fantastic. Reintroducing old favorites with new looks, styles, alliances, and even powers to some degree. Just an incredibly good read. Warren Ellis has written many great stories from Stormwatch, The Authoroty, Planetary, to Transmetrolpolitan. He doesn’t miss a beat with this series. 

Surprisingly, some of the characters are even more likable than the original versions. If you haven’t read this yet and like old Ellis stuff, get you hands on this run. You will not regret it. 

Stormwatch Vol 1 #37-50, vol 2 #1-11, Wildcats vs. Aliens, and the Authority #1-12 is one of the best runs in comics history, and that's saying a lot.

I'll definitely have to look for these. Warren Ellis has always been a fantastic writer, and I'm sad he doesn't get the due of a Millar or a Morrison, and he is their equal.

7 hours ago, RockMyAmadeus said:

Stormwatch Vol 1 #37-50, vol 2 #1-11, Wildcats vs. Aliens, and the Authority #1-12 is one of the best runs in comics history, and that's saying a lot.

I'll definitely have to look for these. Warren Ellis has always been a fantastic writer, and I'm sad he doesn't get the due of a Millar or a Morrison, and he is their equal.

Agreed and I personally enjoy his books more than Millar or Morrison and I love both of those guy’s stories. 

You’ll see a lot of familiar faces in this new run. It isn’t as great as The Authority or Stormwatch but its as good or better than anything else I’ve read in recent memory. 

4 hours ago, the authority said:

Agreed and I personally enjoy his books more than Millar or Morrison and I love both of those guy’s stories. 

You’ll see a lot of familiar faces in this new run. It isn’t as great as The Authority or Stormwatch but its as good or better than anything else I’ve read in recent memory. 

It's a different kind of story. It's like Ellis' personal work over the past decade or so. Which is a bonus, as far as I'm concerned. I've really been enjoying the run so far. 

18 hours ago, RockMyAmadeus said:

100%

13 hours ago, the authority said:

I may have to re-visit if it's that good.  I was kind of bored with the 1st two issues and stopped.  

Agree that the Stormwatch/Authority run was so good.  

Ellis is one of the all-time greats.  Didn't help that he had a number of marginal books in the recent past. 

Patrick

Ellis spent a lot of time character building in the early issues. It is considerably different than The Authority. No Hitch. No Neary. No widescreen shots. The original Authority led to the Ultimates which led to at the very least the look of the Avengers movie imo. This isn't that. Its more ground level, 007 type of stuff with a few superpowers in the mix. A subtle but strong story.

25 minutes ago, the authority said:

Ellis spent a lot of time character building in the early issues. It is considerably different than The Authority. No Hitch. No Neary. No widescreen shots. The original Authority led to the Ultimates which led to at the very least the look of the Avengers movie imo. This isn't that. Its more ground level, 007 type of stuff with a few superpowers in the mix. A subtle but strong story.

I had just re-read The Authority (in Absolute edition, no less) when this series came out. It's a completely different book. So much more subtle. It's a real treat to be able to compare the two takes 20+ years apart.