• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Overrated art?
1 1

96 posts in this topic

Recently I showed a friend some of the art I collected.  As he flipped through the portfolio he landed on  a John Romita Jr. Punisher cover.  He then explained that he really doesn't like JRJR's work.  

Hey we all have different tastes - but it got me wondering.  Which artist do you personally feel is over rated?

For me (ready for the hate) its Frank Miller.  When he's good, he's really good - but for me a large part of his work is just not fun to look at.  I have seen comments from people who love his work -attached to pieces that if they didn't have his name on them -would (in my opinion) not have been held in the same regard.

What artist/art run do you feel is over-rated? Or have a hard time understanding its popularity?

Edited by Panelfan1

For me: Joe Madureria. His knock-off manga style just never really appealed to me. I don't get what people find so fascinating about his art, outside of having a love for boobs big enough to use for volleyball practice. He's slow, doesn't really do much in the way of backgrounds, and his visual storytelling skills are lackluster, at best. Frankly, I just don't get why he so desirable to fans.

John Byrne. No edge, no soul, his facial expressions are always wrong.

John Romita. Solid mid-level comic hack. He stages well, is better than John Byrne, but never as good as prime period Don Heck.

Post-1970 John Buscema. All his Conan work is more or less phoned in, like the scripts. The sketches are still great though.

Jim Lee. His fetishistic rendering can't disguise his disinterest in the real human form. His facial expressions are more apt than Byrne's but even more limited.

:D

9 hours ago, MagnusX said:
  • J. Scott Campbell
  • Skottie Young
  • Humberto Ramos

Strongly agree on the first two, I don't feel one way or the other about Ramos.

I'll also toss Ben Templesmith's name in there, but maybe his time has already come and gone, but his work just never clicked with me.

9 hours ago, drdroom reborn said:

John Byrne. No edge, no soul, his facial expressions are always wrong.

John Romita. Solid mid-level comic hack. He stages well, is better than John Byrne, but never as good as prime period Don Heck.

Post-1970 John Buscema. All his Conan work is more or less phoned in, like the scripts. The sketches are still great though.

Jim Lee. His fetishistic rendering can't disguise his disinterest in the real human form. His facial expressions are more apt than Byrne's but even more limited.

:D

Thank God you added Jim Lee, I was beginning to think you hated guys named John... maybe you just hate guys with names that begin with 'J'  hm

John Romita Jr. - his style changed so dramatically after his initial Iron Man run that it was hardly recognizable as is work. I couldn't stand his second Iron Man run (in the new style) but slowly came to appreciate it a bit more. He did some work I liked in the WWH arc but for the most part, I don’t care for his current style.

4 hours ago, SquareChaos said:

Thank God you added Jim Lee, I was beginning to think you hated guys named John... maybe you just hate guys with names that begin with 'J'  hm

Yeah, exactly, unless it's Jack, in which case they are the best that ever lived. But that reminds me, Joe Kubert! I love him, but if the question is "overrated," you know, I think he might be just a tiny bit. Very limited facial expressions, and certain artistic solutions that he goes back to over and over again, a kind of repetitive feeling that guys named Jack are able to somehow avoid, despite being comparably prolific.(shrug)

1 minute ago, drdroom reborn said:

Yeah, exactly, unless it's Jack, in which case they are the best that ever lived. But that reminds me, Joe Kubert! I love him, but if the question is "overrated," you know, I think he might be just a tiny bit. Very limited facial expressions, and certain artistic solutions that he goes back to over and over again, a kind of repetitive feeling that guys named Jack are able to somehow avoid, despite being comparably prolific.(shrug)

If the thread goes on long enough someone will mention Jack, it's a rule of the internet comic universe similar to Godwin's Law.

15 hours ago, Panelfan1 said:

Recently I showed a friend some of the art I collected.  As he flipped through the portfolio he landed on  a John Romita Jr. Punisher cover.  He then explained that he really doesn't like JRJR's work.  

Hey we all have different tastes - but it got me wondering.  Which artist do you personally feel is over rated?

For me (ready for the hate) its Frank Miller.  When he's good, he's really good - but for me a large part of his work is just not fun to look at.  I have seen comments from people who love his work -attached to pieces that if they didn't have his name on them -would (in my opinion) not have been held in the same regard.

What artist/art run do you feel is over-rated? Or have a hard time understanding its popularity?

I have sympathy for people who find Miller to be over rated.  His stuff has rarely been pretty to look at in a classic sense, and many of the themes and stylings he put into play decades ago have been regurgitated so many times and in so many ways as it's become cliche to the extreme.  Not sure I would show off his work to the uninitiated without context and expect a positive response.

Having said that, I was mentioning to a friend recently that I would honestly put Miller on the Mt. Rushmore of comics.  Because of his art, because of his writing, because of his influence, because of his fearlessness.  And full disclosure, I own more than a few Miller originals, but you'll have to take my word that my assessment would stand, vested interest or not.

Scott

Just now, stinkininkin said:

I have sympathy for people who find Miller to be over rated.  His stuff has rarely been pretty to look at in a classic sense, and many of the themes and stylings he put into play decades ago have been regurgitated so many times and in so many ways as it's become cliche to the extreme.  Not sure I would show off his work to the uninitiated without context and expect a positive response.

Having said that, I was mentioning to a friend recently that I would honestly put Miller on the Mt. Rushmore of comics.  Because of his art, because of his writing, because of his influence, because of his fearlessness.  And full disclosure, I own more than a few Miller originals, but you'll have to take my word that my assessment would stand, vested interest or not.

Scott

He belongs there. I typically just hear '... lots of his more recent work is terrible' to which I often agree. But total contribution? No doubt, he's one a few dozen that I personally know of that would belong.

Among the super stars, I am not a fan of Miller and McFarlane, but I don't think they are "over-rated", considering the influence they have had.

I would judge over-rated the latest production of Golden an Allred.  And definitely the woman who is currently drawing the Hellcat series.  I am sure not many of this boards' participants really care, but the letters in the comics rave about her, and to me her art is painful to look at.

9 minutes ago, malvin said:

This is a strange thread.  Artists that are popular (and/or command high values for their art) clearly have fans, but artists cannot appeal to everyone, so everyone is overrated in someone's eyes.

Malvin

I think what you're saying is a given and we all understand that (I hope anyway) - OP is asking for opinions, and I think we're all aware they're just opinions. These type of threads do seem to crop up pretty often, but I don't think there is anything wrong with them. One that popped up in General a while back was asking which artists were 'garbage' and I think a number of people rightly had a bit of an issue with the wording used there.

Agree on the JRJR assessment.  Gotta disagree on the Jim Less assessment (but that's why it's fun to talk about right?).  I've found it surprising that Greg Capullo's work is as well liked as it is.  I think he's good, but I don't know if I'd put him up there with some of my other favorites - that's a style preference more then skill critique I think.

1 hour ago, malvin said:

This is a strange thread.  Artists that are popular (and/or command high values for their art) clearly have fans, but artists cannot appeal to everyone, so everyone is overrated in someone's eyes.

Malvin

Yeah These threads seem to start out innocently and then end up as a hate fest sometimes (we're not there yet, wait for it ;) ).   And threads about underrated artists just end up as threads that give confirmation to popular artists since no one can agree who is underrated or what it even means.  

2 minutes ago, Bronty said:

Yeah These threads seem to start out innocently and then end up as a hate fest sometimes (we're not there yet, wait for it ;) ).   And threads about underrated artists just end up as threads that give confirmation to popular artists since no one can agree who is underrated or what it even means.  

Most threads that go past a few pages end up as hate fests, regardless of their original topic.