• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Overrated art?
1 1

96 posts in this topic

9 hours ago, Silver Surfer said:

Well I have said it before, the antomy is all wrong, size 18 feet on a pencil neck 120 pound body, Spy vs Spy elongated face, etc, etc. Pure 90's krappola.

Literally never heard anyone make these complaints about McFarlane's Spider-man before. Very interesting.

35 minutes ago, SquareChaos said:

Literally never heard anyone make these complaints about McFarlane's Spider-man before. Very interesting.

But am I wrong? Maybe it's just his style on Spider-Man that I couldn't stomach because for me it just was too noisy and the anatomy was goofy. 

Just now, Silver Surfer said:

But am I wrong? Maybe it's just his style on Spider-Man that I couldn't stomach because for me it just was too noisy and the anatomy was goofy. 

It's your opinion (shrug)

I think McFarlane's Spider-man is pretty jacked.... with a gymnast physique. I don't see any way in which he looks like a 120 lb beanpole... that was something that others did before McFarlane. I also don't think he draws clown feet, but he does draw Spidey with a longer, and somewhat narrow foot, which certainly can make it look longer than it actually is I imagine. I also think a good portion of your perception could be due to the fact that you so often see his feet from odd angles, which can perhaps make it harder to judge (see below). So, longer than probably necessary, but not giant clown feet. 

I've also seen McFarlane draw exaggerated facial expressions, but I'd say that is not the norm, but instead a stylistic choice for a certain scene. 

ToddSpidey2-630x605.jpg

4 minutes ago, Silver Surfer said:

I'm sure I could drag out a 100 examples of his size 0 waist line. That is one of the better images but he was sure fond of the foot forward is too many panels. 

You seemed to be suggesting his Spider-man was a 120 lb physique, that was the main thing that made me scratchy my head. Feel free to pull out some examples of that - the new software is much more image friendly, so that's one plus for the upgrade.

Just now, Silver Surfer said:

Maybe its a generational thing because I grew up with Ross Andru, Gil Kane and this:

a2FNsx.jpg

For me his work is just plain old ugly in comparison.

just goes to show we can praise or critique pretty much anyone.    I always liked the 238 cover as well, but the head of hobby is way too far forward.   His back is fairly upright and then he's got his head sloping down on a giraffe neck.    

12 minutes ago, Bronty said:

just goes to show we can praise or critique pretty much anyone.    I always liked the 238 cover as well, but the head of hobby is way too far forward.   His back is fairly upright and then he's got his head sloping down on a giraffe neck.    

Hobby is crouching on his flying sled thingie, so I think the pose/head is ok, but getting back to first poster of the image...it's 100% Marvel House (of) Style 1980s edition. Nothing wrong with that, but that's where you get new styles from --- artists that think outside the box, do things differently. Frenz will never be accused of that! Do any of us not want that to happen (anti-Frenz if you will ha ha), just the same old same old with slightly updated polish? (And for the record: I like Frenz art and don't "much" like McFarlane, but it has it's place and I'd probably add a piece if they weren't nutty $$).