• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Overrated art?
1 1

96 posts in this topic

49 minutes ago, Mephisto1 said:

I fail to see the problem. Everyone loves Brazzers!

A five year membership would probably cost less than one of his pages. If somebody needs adult comics that badly, spend 15 bucks on an old Eros graphic and save the money for a piece by a more original artist. 2c

1 hour ago, pemart1966 said:

Most anything post 1967

Not disagreeing with you that pre 1967 there was a lot of fun stuff - but what about that stuff makes you personally feel that its so much better than stuff post 1967? Or perhaps I misunderstood your comment?

On 2/15/2017 at 10:35 PM, Panelfan1 said:

For me (ready for the hate) its Frank Miller.  When he's good, he's really good - but for me a large part of his work is just not fun to look at.  I have seen comments from people who love his work -attached to pieces that if they didn't have his name on them -would (in my opinion) not have been held in the same regard.

Mr. Miller is unique.  I love him on his original Daredevil Run but scratch my head at much of his more recent stuff.  Sin City started strong but by the time "Hell and Back" arrived, it bordered on unrecognizable.  I believe you are right in that many of us wouldn't pay attention (or big bucks) if the pieces didn't have his name.  All the same, I have dropped a small fortune on sketches from him and am thrilled to have them.  In fact I have my next sketch planned already, I just need to find a blank! 

Paul Smith ( 80's work - X-Men).  His art from this period (considered his prime by many) , looks too sparse to me. His layouts were uninteresting, and carried a stagnant line weight. When he did Leave It To Chance, I thought his style developed, and it worked much better on that book. I also think the current work I've seen from him has much more depth to it, and is very nice. 

Eisner. I get the awesome splash pages but find his reputation out of proportion. He is a classic American story in many ways, but he toiled away for decades until being anointed the father of the graphic novel. I get the Spirit newspaper inserts, the prolific Iger/Eisner studio, and the awesomely personal graphic novels, Fine. But best of the best is a bit much for me to see.

Anyway...there, I said it. :sumo:

Edited by Bird

2 hours ago, Bird said:

Eisner. I get the awesome splash pages but find his reputation out of proportion. He is a classic American story in many ways, but he toiled away for decades until being anointed the father of the graphic novel. I get the Spirit newspaper inserts, the prolific Iger/Eisner studio, and the awesomely personal graphic novels, Fine. But best of the best is a bit much for me to see.

Heretic. 

4 hours ago, Bird said:

I don't really disagree with this assessment. However, who could actually live up to that rep? Who does? Giraud?

5 hours ago, Bird said:

When you quite literally invent or reinvent the visual language of the medium we're all talking about here, it's hard to put Eisner in the overrated category.  I would respectfully suggest you read a copy of Comics and Sequential Art by Will Eisner, as I think it would be an eye opener as to the importance of Eisner to comics.

Just my two cents.

Scott

2 hours ago, stinkininkin said:

When you quite literally invent or reinvent the visual language of the medium we're all talking about here, it's hard to put Eisner in the overrated category.  I would respectfully suggest you read a copy of Comics and Sequential Art by Will Eisner, as I think it would be an eye opener as to the importance of Eisner to comics.

Just my two cents.

Scott

Yeah, like I said I understand the reverence. If you, or Frank Miller (loved that Eisner/Miller book), says Will is the man I will take your word for it. But I myself have not experienced it while reading what I have of the work. It may be a "in its' time" thing as I can never experience The Spirit, or Krazy Kat for that matter, as it happened and hence maybe never really get it. Maybe I am hung up more on the lack of connection I have to the material, I see his artistry and technique but never feel like I connect to the heart of the story, which often reads as contrived or formulaic to me (the GNs at least). 

I read the Eisner book, and Understanding Comics as well, a few decades ago. I'll give it another look-see as I love reading comic-related books. Just finished KRAZY, loved it for the information even if I thought the book had some issues.

On ‎2‎/‎16‎/‎2017 at 1:37 PM, drdroom reborn said:

John Romita. Solid mid-level comic hack. He stages well, is better than John Byrne, but never as good as prime period Don Heck.

Post-1970 John Buscema. All his Conan work is more or less phoned in, like the scripts. The sketches are still great though.

Romita Sr and J Buscema would also be in my list, as they're the epitome of journeymen.  Although I think it's unfair to say that Romita is worse than Heck.  If Romita was a journeyman, then Heck was the apprentice who should've been told by his master after a few years that perhaps he should consider another line of work, such as being a butcher.

3 minutes ago, tth21 said:

Romita Sr and J Buscema would also be in my list, as they're the epitome of journeymen.  Although I think it's unfair to say that Romita is worse than Heck.  If Romita was a journeyman, then Heck was the apprentice who should've been told by his master after a few years that perhaps he should consider another line of work, such as being a butcher.

Judging Big John by his Conan work is like judging Ditko by his current 80 page giants. (Well, that may be a little strong.) I love me some SS#4 cover, the greatest cover of all times!

It is odd, thinking about Eisner and then Buscema in the same topic. The writer/artist total creator is so rare in comics and so prevalent in strip art.

8 hours ago, tth2 said:

LOL. I like Heck's pre-hero work. But on balance, maybe Romita makes the greater contribution overall. He designed several terrific covers in his first 30 or so Spidey issues. 

Preferences run the gambit and for every naysayer of an artist, there is someone who will sing his or her praises. I grew up with Andru as my Spidey guy and adore his work on that character. That said, I dug McFarlane's Spidey as it was being published and, love him or hate him, he revolutionized the manner in which webswinging was portrayed. It had NEVER been as dynamic or agile before his run.

Many of the greats take liberties with anatomy and physics in order to create a more dynamic image. It happens often, with great results. The key for me, it the artist learning the rules, before breaking them.

As a kid, I found Kirby's stuff to be awful..... didn't appreciate his stuff until years later.