• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Get rid of the "Like" button.
1 1

Question

134 answers to this question

I just don't like it because it adds just even MORE stuff and text to an already busy design. 

Now you have the post, Like This, Quote, Sig Lines. 

If they keep it, there should be an option to turn it off if you don't want to see it. 2c

7 hours ago, jump_ace said:

Don't like it, don't use it? (shrug)  How many posts don't add substance around here...just sayin'

Jerome

Maybe we should be looking to add substance to the boards, not Facebook-like nonsense. (shrug) 

Oh boy, look at me, I liked a post. That really brings my day and life into focus. 

Edited by Jerkfro

On 2017-02-16 at 8:20 AM, Jerkfro said:

I agree. Get rid of the like button. Superfluous nonsense. It adds nothing of substance to the boards

It's really meaningless.

And it's visually the most prominent thing in the entire quote box area.

This is like an attempt at Facebook junior, which really isn't a good thing.

The Like button notifies your Facebook friends of a post. In this format does it do anything?

I can see CGC keeping it if they are looking to monetize it somehow. Not sure how they'd do that at this point though.

7 minutes ago, Clear said:

Please get rid of it.

Yes, it's childish nonsense. On the old boards,  you showed your support for a post with additional commentary or by +1ing it. Unless I've missed it, likes on the new boards are anonymous, so lose meaning as it means a group can just continually vote for their mates. If someone posts 200 separate smiley faces, and I 'like' everyone,  does that make them the 'Top Board Member'? 

Arch, 10 votes so far. Which way are you leaning on this?

Who cares if there's a like button or not?  I get not finding value in it because I certainly find none, but I don't get wanting to take it away from other people who might enjoy the feature.  The "Quote" line was there when Arch first set up the boards, but the "Like this" feature wasn't, so if he turns it back off we've still got the big quote box, so there's literally no functional advantage to turning the "like" feature off other than some sort of bizarre sour grapes towards the people who enjoy it.

Is this all some sort of pent-up hostility about not being liked by the popular kids back in high school?  :gossip:

On February 16, 2017 at 11:13 PM, HarveySwick said:

I just don't like it because it adds just even MORE stuff and text to an already busy design. 

Now you have the post, Like This, Quote, Sig Lines. 

If they keep it, there should be an option to turn it off if you don't want to see it. 2c

I've already stated that, in my opinion, it just adds something else to an already busy layout. It has nothing to do with being popular or unpopular or sitting at a cool table. Personally, I'm just trying to make these Boards as visually close to the Old Boards as possible with the added functionability of the New Boards. The Boards used to have a number rating system of sorts for posts and they nixed that. I don't see why this is really any different. It adds something visually without really offering much of anything of substance. If you're going to leave the Like button, either offer an option to eliminate it for those that don't want to see it or include the names of those Liking a post. It's really just one more visual element that is unnecessary. No one will argue that the Quote button isn't immeasurably useful and needed. Can anyone say the same thing about a "Like" button?

46 minutes ago, Hado said:

I don't want to be accused of being a toadie again, so I'm not going to like either of those posts.

To be fair, the term used was minion 2c

1 hour ago, RockMyAmadeus said:

You are diminishing people by painting their complaints as "bashing. 

Heaven forbid someone should diminish another person. 2c

15 hours ago, jsilverjanet said:

The problem with the "Like" button is that it only tells half of the story. I can only imagine what would happen if we had a "Hate" button

hm

It would be glorious and because of that reason will never be allowed. Everybody gets a trophy!!

1 hour ago, MetalPSI™ said:

The real question here is why I can't like any of Arch's posts? Why is he excluded? Won't that make him self conscious? It would me, because what other people think of me is all I live for.

Please like this so I can make it through another day. I'm so sad.

He took the ability away to give him likes because a long time banned troll kept liking his posts and abusing the system. He said as much elsewhere, but I was too lazy to find the exact quote.

Hope that helps

7 hours ago, Jerkfro said:

I agree. Get rid of the like button. Superfluous nonsense. It adds nothing of substance to the boards

6 hours ago, JAM_NYC said:

Where's the dislike button?

6 hours ago, bababooey said:

down.gif

I sure hope none of you ever made a "+1" post. Should I go go through your post history and check? :baiting:

At the moment, I'm neutral on the "like" button.

1 1