• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Get rid of the "Like" button.
1 1

Question

134 answers to this question

4 minutes ago, fantastic_four said:

That is definitely different than Facebook likes which show you who did the liking when you hover over the feature.

Unfortunately, getting rid of hovering was one of my CRs......

11 hours ago, Foley said:

13 hours ago, Gotham Kid said:

I'm running low on "Likes" so what does a guy need to do to boost the count ? Post some titties ?  What ?

:insane:

Titties would certainly boost your chances :wishluck:

Manboobs.jpg

On 3/11/2017 at 2:58 AM, Gotham Kid said:

I'm running low on "Likes" so what does a guy need to do to boost the count ? Post some titties ?  What ?

:insane:

My rates are very reasonable for boosting "Like" counts.

However, it may take a few days to put you in the lead.

The last time I checked, the limit was 10 Likes per 24 hours.

1 hour ago, Clear said:

My rates are very reasonable for boosting "Like" counts.

However, it may take a few days to put you in the lead.

The last time I checked, the limit was 10 Likes per 24 hours.

Update: Jerkfro has 142 Likes and is the leader at the time of this post.

So if anyone wants to be the leader, I can recruit my wife and a few friends to join the boards and get you in the lead.

Please let me know.

Personally, I go to the specific boards I like to frequent instead of going to the Leaderboard and following the leaders, who may very well be posting about topics I have no interest in.

But that is just me.

Edited by Clear

Admittedly, I rarely leave the basement of my parent's house.

I am way too fat and lazy to make the journey all the way up those 13 steps.

However, today I needed some compassion from mom and dad.

"No one likes me on the comic book message boards!"   WAAAAAAA

???:cry:>:(

• Administrator
On 3/10/2017 at 1:50 PM, Marwood & I said:

By giving them a quick and easy way to show appreciation. Sounds good at first but in doing so they miss the opportunity to show the OP what it was they liked, and the OP doesn't get to build any rapport with the person / persons reading their thread. If the system at least told you who liked your post, that would surely help you to feel more a part of a community. Why would you favour anonymity on a community chat forum? 

Anyway, we've both had our say. No hard feelings and sorry if I over reacted. It's one of my least attractive attributes :foryou:

Although I can't be too bad, as I'm currently the 28th topest member on the boards! Maybe that says it all ?

That actually wasn't intentional. It doesn't have to be anonymous, and now it isn't.

You guys should go to the leaderboard, scroll down to like posts, and click on the like counts to see who has liked things. It will give you a feeling for who around here might find it valuable.

Additionally - here's the value of the like button. It surfaces good content - or it least it can if the membership treats it that way. It surfaces it in a better way than just replying to it. Over time this page:

https://www.cgccomics.com/boards/leaderboard/

(scroll down to the posts) can show the content that was consistently found to be the most valuable. Even if it's old. Even if it didn't get stickied. Even if it was buried in the middle of a thread. Yes, some lightweight posts will get likes just because they're funny, but over the long haul it's the substantive stuff that tends to get voted up. I COULD enable down voting as well, which might help trivial content to get de-prioritized, but it could also just become a vehicle for trolling, so it's off.

People have to choose to use it correctly, but it definitely has the potential for value. Think back over the years to any content that you thought might have been super informative or clarifying. Right now, I bet some of it is pretty buried. Likes can surface that kind of content.

• Administrator

Here's an example, by the way. I think this is a really cool set of posts. It's a great testimony about what you all get from each other, and a cool bit of history of how people got involved. It's the kind of content that deserves to be surfaced and remembered, even if it isn't sticked at the top.

Likes would be a great way for this kind of thread to not only gain, but keep exposure over time.

Now you guys may have your own ideas of what kind of content should really be showcased, but that's great. That's the point of crowd sourcing valuable content via a like system.

7 hours ago, Architecht said:

That actually wasn't intentional. It doesn't have to be anonymous, and now it isn't.

You guys should go to the leaderboard, scroll down to like posts, and click on the like counts to see who has liked things. It will give you a feeling for who around here might find it valuable.

Additionally - here's the value of the like button. It surfaces good content - or it least it can if the membership treats it that way. It surfaces it in a better way than just replying to it. Over time this page:

(scroll down to the posts) can show the content that was consistently found to be the most valuable. Even if it's old. Even if it didn't get stickied. Even if it was buried in the middle of a thread. Yes, some lightweight posts will get likes just because they're funny, but over the long haul it's the substantive stuff that tends to get voted up. I COULD enable down voting as well, which might help trivial content to get de-prioritized, but it could also just become a vehicle for trolling, so it's off.

People have to choose to use it correctly, but it definitely has the potential for value. Think back over the years to any content that you thought might have been super informative or clarifying. Right now, I bet some of it is pretty buried. Likes can surface that kind of content.

Thanks Arch. Removing the anonymity addresses my main point so I'm quite relaxed about it now.  

On 3/12/2017 at 7:41 PM, Architecht said:

You're (again) trying to control human behavior, and that is always doomed to fail.

All of these "features" are designed by programmers who don't have a basic understanding of human nature. They rarely, if ever, think about unintended consequences...which is, of course, what makes them "unintended." But they frequently don't even consider the possibility of unintended consequences, which is why beta testing isn't anywhere near as frequent as it should be.

You, yourself, made the mistake of presuming that people were acting in bad faith, with bad intentions, in malice, by "liking" a lot of posts that you didn't think they should be liking. You do it again, here.  And far more egregious, you made a public condemnation and threat, as the administrator, without even bothering to investigate. A great opportunity to educate, correct, and instruct about this brand new feature was thrown out the window because you simply presumed that people were acting in bad faith, without even asking them why they were doing what they were doing. They were using the feature, but, with no instruction otherwise, you determined that they were MISusing it, and reacted with condemnation and threat...which practically guarantees people will want to now purposely misuse the feature against your intentions.

Do you think the "like" button is also not a vehicle for trolling? It absolutely is. Posts that are derogatory against someone is "liked" by others who don't like that someone. Do you not think that isn't abuse of the feature? Of course it is. If I post "so and so sucks canal water" and other people "like" that post, have they not publicly endorsed that view, thereby creating (and sustaining) factionalism? 

This would have been fine, if this forum were a tabula rasa, and the feature had been there from the beginning. However, that's not the situation you have here.

The positives about the feature..."good content eventually getting surfaced"...are overwhelmed by the negatives: misuse of the feature as a method of trolling, misuse of the feature by malcontents to "surface" content that is NOT "good", disagreement as to what actually constitutes "good" and "not good", accusations of misuse based on one's personal perspective.  

Any good you hope to accomplish will be overwhelmed if you try, as you do here, to force the feature on people and force them, through threat and coercion, to use the feature in the manner YOU THINK they should. They will react, and not in the way you want or intend. 

PS. Please stop using the superlative "super" in front of so many of your claims. We're not any of us children, everything doesn't need to be "super" this and "super" that for people to get the point.

Thank you for taking the time to consider these things, and I hope you do.

Edited by RockMyAmadeus

1 1