• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Get rid of the "Like" button.
1 1

Question

134 answers to this question

57 minutes ago, Logan510 said:
1 hour ago, Likefro said:

I've changed my mind. Let's keep the like function. Much more fun this way lol

I would personally like to thank you for being a super positive member here. I have enjoyed your many sales threads as well as your contributions to the general comics knowledge pool of these boards, your vast knowledge of the medium and thoughtful insights are always welcome and appreciated. It's great work you're doing and I think you deserve a round of applause :golfclap:

Comments like this are WAY too much work...we need a "Like" feature for users so I'm never forced to gush all over someone like you just did.  :blush:

2 minutes ago, fantastic_four said:

Comments like this are WAY too much work...we need a "Like" feature for users so I'm never forced to gush all over someone like you just did.  :blush:

I appreciate the like feature and prefer it to seeing several "+1" follow up posts.

I admit my post to Jeffro was a bit on the gushing side, but it's well deserved IMHO. He deserves every accolade coming his way and if there was a way to nominate him for FOTY I would. He's an invaluable resource to this forum and should be acknowledged as such.

1 minute ago, thehumantorch said:

I look at the like button as a replacement for all the +1 posts.

I thought +1 one had a different meaning, that it means "I feel the same way."  I like lots of ideas that I don't feel the same way about myself.

2 hours ago, fantastic_four said:

I thought +1 one had a different meaning, that it means "I feel the same way."  I like lots of ideas that I don't feel the same way about myself.

I dig the "like" feature, if I understand the way I THINK it's intended for. We have a database system at my employer, Knowledge Base, that works as a wiki for work-related topics. Employees can go in and create articles on any work topic, process, ect. The "like" button is used to promote an article that you think has value. The more likes an article gets, the more likely it will show up at the top of the page when you search for a topic. So, let's say someone creates an article here on the boards outlining the differences in the various printings of TMNT #1, and the community feels the post is fantastic. It gets a lot of likes, so if someone comes on the forum and searches for "differences printings TMNT 1" it would show near the top. Conversely, if someone makes a post that has some bad info, and no one likes it, it's less likely to show up in searches. 

@Architecht Is there anyway to relocate the "Like This" from where it is at the bottom of a post to the top next to "Report Post"? Maybe get rid of the colored background and heart and just incorporate it inline next to "Report Post" as text? Then I wouldn't hate it (as much) and find it much less distracting to the eye. It's just the first thing that jumps out to the eye when reading a post. It's also another piece of text stacked on top of another piece of text "Quote".

Can you make everything one line of text like on the Old Boards?

There were many more options on the Old Boards (Reply, Quote, Quick Reply, Quick Quote, Notify, Email Post) but the buttons were much better laid out and on the same line of text. The way things are now looks jumbled with the different sizes and styles of text. 

20 minutes ago, Likefro said:

Like shooting fish in a barrel. So predictable. Conditioned like Pavlov's dog to react to what I say. :roflmao:

It was so easy to get you to say that. lol

• Administrator
18 hours ago, HarveySwick said:

@Architecht Is there anyway to relocate the "Like This" from where it is at the bottom of a post to the top next to "Report Post"? Maybe get rid of the colored background and heart and just incorporate it inline next to "Report Post" as text? Then I wouldn't hate it (as much) and find it much less distracting to the eye. It's just the first thing that jumps out to the eye when reading a post. It's also another piece of text stacked on top of another piece of text "Quote".

Can you make everything one line of text like on the Old Boards?

There were many more options on the Old Boards (Reply, Quote, Quick Reply, Quick Quote, Notify, Email Post) but the buttons were much better laid out and on the same line of text. The way things are now looks jumbled with the different sizes and styles of text. 

Anything is possible, it's just a matter of:

1. Demand
  2. Actual benefit
  3. Effort to do it
  4. Effort to keep it maintained as the software updates

The like button is on the same line of text - except on mobile when screen width prevents that. Are you talking about mobile? Given the preferences you seem to be expressing, I'd ask: have you tried the pinch-zoom theme? It seems like more your style?

On 3/27/2017 at 0:42 PM, fantastic_four said:

Oh, you sure did gush over McKnowitall not being here.

-slym

Edited by slym2none

1 1