• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Get rid of the "Like" button.
1 1

Question

134 answers to this question

1 hour ago, NamesJay said:
On 2/16/2017 at 11:02 PM, Lethal_Collector said:

Don't like it, don't use it? (shrug)  How many posts don't add substance around here...just sayin'

Jerome

This was my thought exactly.

Besides, it makes me feel good when people "like" my posts. :cloud9:

You're joking right? 

1 hour ago, RockMyAmadeus said:

You're (again) trying to control human behavior, and that is always doomed to fail.

All of these "features" are designed by programmers who don't have a basic understanding of human nature. They rarely, if ever, think about unintended consequences...which is, of course, what makes them "unintended." But they frequently don't even consider the possibility of unintended consequences, which is why beta testing isn't anywhere near as frequent as it should be.

You, yourself, made the mistake of presuming that people were acting in bad faith, with bad intentions, in malice, by "liking" a lot of posts that you didn't think they should be liking. You do it again, here.  And far more egregious, you made a public condemnation and threat, as the administrator, without even bothering to investigate. A great opportunity to educate, correct, and instruct about this brand new feature was thrown out the window because you simply presumed that people were acting in bad faith, without even asking them why they were doing what they were doing. They were using the feature, but, with no instruction otherwise, you determined that they were MISusing it, and reacted with condemnation and threat...which practically guarantees people will want to now purposely misuse the feature against your intentions.

Do you think the "like" button is also not a vehicle for trolling? It absolutely is. Posts that are derogatory against someone is "liked" by others who don't like that someone. Do you not think that isn't abuse of the feature? Of course it is. If I post "so and so sucks canal water" and other people "like" that post, have they not publicly endorsed that view, thereby creating (and sustaining) factionalism? 

This would have been fine, if this forum were a tabula rasa, and the feature had been there from the beginning. However, that's not the situation you have here.

The positives about the feature..."good content eventually getting surfaced"...are overwhelmed by the negatives: misuse of the feature as a method of trolling, misuse of the feature by malcontents to "surface" content that is NOT "good", disagreement as to what actually constitutes "good" and "not good", accusations of misuse based on one's personal perspective.  

Any good you hope to accomplish will be overwhelmed if you try, as you do here, to force the feature on people and force them, through threat and coercion, to use the feature in the manner YOU THINK they should. They will react, and not in the way you want or intend. 

PS. Please stop using the superlative "super" in front of so many of your claims. We're not any of us children, everything doesn't need to be "super" this and "super" that for people to get the point.

Thank you for taking the time to consider these things, and I hope you do.

I have a suggestion for you. Try to ratchet down the condescension by a hair and maybe Arch will take your suggestions with less than a grain of salt.

Not trying to speak for him, he can obviously do that quite eloquently, but that is how your post came across to me 2c

Isn't he himself 'trying to control human behavior' by his post? ??? Picking on someone's use of a pet phrase like 'super' seems beyond ridiculous. 2c

Edited by kav

Please note the above two comments by users "Logan510" and "kav"...regardless of the merit of either post...and the misuse of the "like" button for each other's post. 

That is the point I'm making.

Aside to Kevin: you might address the fact that these two are following me around and making negative commentary about everything I post. They are acting in the very "bad faith" I describe above. It's a violation of your terms, and I would very much appreciate it if it would stop. I am not an administrator, nor a moderator, and have no power here. 

Thank you.

You don't get to determine what is 'misuse' and I thought you were all for open and honest communication.

3 minutes ago, RockMyAmadeus said:

Please note the above two comments by users "Logan510" and "kav"...regardless of the merit of either post...and the misuse of the "like" button for each other's post. 

That is the point I'm making.

Aside to Kevin: you might address the fact that these two are following me around and making negative commentary about everything I post. They are acting in the very "bad faith" I describe above. It's a violation of your terms, and I would very much appreciate it if it would stop. I am not an administrator, nor a moderator, and have no power here. 

Thank you.

My response to your post to Arch was about the content of the post and not personal.  I think you can make your well thought out points without the added condescension and I feel your suggestions would be taken more seriously without it.

1 hour ago, NamesJay said:

This was my thought exactly.

Besides, it makes me feel good when people "like" my posts. :cloud9:

I'm with NamesJay - it makes you feel like you're not posting in the dark when you get a 'proper' like (i.e. one where the person leaving it is simply showing appreciation for what you said rather than trying to follow some agenda). I didn't like the likes at first (being serious for once) as the anonymity and misuse didn't work for me. Now the anonymity has been put right, and I've got over myself re the misuse, I'm fine with them and indeed use them often. I do prefer to leave a comment if I can, but I'm OK leaving just a like now as I know the recipient knows it's me leaving it.

I don't think the system is working as the powers that be envisaged it would, but that's not a reason to dislike it in my view. We're the members and we can use it as we want to, as long as its within board rules. I don't see it as a means to promote 'valuable' posts. Just a means to say "Hey, I like what you did there, thanks".

It can lift spirits, especially for newbies who sometimes get little encouragement.  Last night I was in stupid mucking about mode, trying to get 100 posts in one day to change my board title (yes, I'm a plonker, I know, I just hope an occasionally amusing one). I went ages without a single response and was getting deflated. No one wanted to play. Then Spike gave me a like out of the blue and, perhaps bizarrely for a grown man, my mood went straight back up. Call me soppy if you want, but liking something is good. It's better than hate, every day of the week.

And if anyone thinks my 'reasons for hate' thread is hateful, they need to read more carefully.

@Architecht - the same troll that mucked you about the other night gave me 11 likes when I challenged him/her/it. Can you remove them please? I'd like all my likes to be 'real' ones. Thanks (thumbsu

No offense Marwood but i don't think Arch should spend time removing grudge likes.  If that person who liked your posts knew he could tie up arch like that there would be no end to it.

7 minutes ago, kav said:

No offense Marwood but i don't think Arch should spend time removing grudge likes.  If that person who liked your posts knew he could tie up arch like that there would be no end to it.

None taken Kav. Now I think about it, it's a fair point. I'll just have to keep my own tally ??

Just now, Marwood & I said:

None taken Kav. Now I think about it, it's a fair point. I'll just have to keep my own tally ??

yep.  Just take the likes and consider them as if an opponent in poker had just threw down all his money and stomped off. lol

1 hour ago, jsilverjanet said:

The problem with the "Like" button is that it only tells half of the story. I can only imagine what would happen if we had a "Hate" button

hm

You should start a thread making that suggestion.

5 hours ago, jsilverjanet said:

The problem with the "Like" button is that it only tells half of the story. I can only imagine what would happen if we had a "Hate" button

hm

I would imagine that a lot of delicate flowers would get very batey and then seek to open cans of "he said she said" whup-ass all over the place. Eventually, we would all sink in a sea of recrimination, accusation, consternation and constipation. I suspect that you and I would be at the front of the queue in that world JSJ, no? :baiting:

11 hours ago, Logan510 said:
On 2/16/2017 at 8:09 AM, HarveySwick said:

IMG_3724.JPG

I'm so glad you hate the drama :golfclap:

fyi - That wasn't a response to your earlier posts -  in this sub-forum the original post carries over to the top of each page (see date etc..)  

1 1