• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Get rid of the "Like" button.
1 1

Question

134 answers to this question

1 hour ago, Lazyboy said:

I sure hope none of you ever made a "+1" post. Should I go go through your post history and check? :baiting:

At the moment, I'm neutral on the "like" button.

+1 is a quick and easy way to put my 2c in and say "I agree with this". 

I havent tested it out, but I don't see names attached to the likes. Seems rather pointless to me. I have no problem with it, though. But I WOULD like a dislike button to balance things out. Otherwise, every thread becomes a knob slobbing fest. 

Please like my comment. B|

38 minutes ago, HarveySwick said:

I just don't like it because it adds just even MORE stuff and text to an already busy design. 

Now you have the post, Like This, Quote, Sig Lines. 

If they keep it, there should be an option to turn it off if you don't want to see it. 2c

That sounds fair (thumbsu  Maybe add an option to hide it in the same settings area where you can turn sigs on/off?

Jerome

7 minutes ago, fantastic_four said:

Who cares if there's a like button or not?  I get not finding value in it because I certainly find none, but I don't get wanting to take it away from other people who might enjoy the feature.  The "Quote" line was there when Arch first set up the boards, but the "Like this" feature wasn't, so if he turns it back off we've still got the big quote box, so there's literally no functional advantage to turning the "like" feature off other than some sort of bizarre sour grapes towards the people who enjoy it.

Is this all some sort of pent-up hostility about not being liked by the popular kids back in high school?  :gossip:

I think your final comment there is as childish as the like function we're (trying) to air our views on. I think yours are the only sour grapes here. 

Edited by Marwood & I
I can't spelll

9 minutes ago, Marwood & I said:
14 minutes ago, fantastic_four said:

Is this all some sort of pent-up hostility about not being liked by the popular kids back in high school?  :gossip:

I think your final comment there is as childish as the like function we're (trying) to air our views on.

Sounds like you need a "dislike" button to click.  :foryou:

3 minutes ago, fantastic_four said:

Sounds like you need a "dislike" button to click.  :foryou:

No, because that would be anonymous. I want you to know that I found your contribution humourless / charmless :wink: 

Still, we're all friends now, yes? :foryou:

Why is anyone who up-clicked this change request paying any attention to the like feature or the statistics at all?  Other than glancing at it when Arch said he added it and clicking the "Leaderboard" link once, I haven't even noticed that the feature exists since he added it.

It's also fair to ask me why I'm even questioning the change request.  I'm libertarian by default and don't really understand why you guys want to take this feature away from whoever finds value in it.  I similarly ignore Facebook's "like" feature and don't get the hubbub around it, either.

15 minutes ago, fantastic_four said:

Why is anyone who up-clicked this change request paying any attention to the like feature or the statistics at all?  Other than glancing at it when Arch said he added it and clicking the "Leaderboard" link once, I haven't even noticed that the feature exists since he added it.

It's also fair to ask me why I'm even questioning the change request.  I'm libertarian by default and don't really understand why you guys want to take this feature away from whoever finds value in it.  I similarly ignore Facebook's "like" feature and don't get the hubbub around it, either.

The reason I jumped on you is that I find your posting style holier than thou and dismissive. There was no reason to introduce phrases like 'sour grapes' and being popular at school. If you had done so with a little humour I would have responded in kind. But you brought the worst out in me.

We have new boards and have been invited to give our views, likes and dislikes. I have raised my key ones through change requests.  The like function wasn't one of them, as it's not a big deal to me either.  But, having seen the post, my opinion is that the anonymity of the function is counter productive. I'd prefer people to talk to each other,  which is surely the point of a chat forum, no?

If you're going to dive into a post, why not try to do so with a little humour or courtesy for a change? 

P.S. We're you a Prefect at school by any chance?

1 minute ago, Marwood & I said:

But, having seen the post, my opinion is that the anonymity of the function is counter productive. I'd prefer people to talk to each other,  which is surely the point of a chat forum, no?

How does it discourage people from talking to each other?

On 2/17/2017 at 4:01 AM, Jerkfro said:

Maybe we should be looking to add substance to the boards, not Facebook-like nonsense. (shrug) 

Oh boy, look at me, I liked a post. That really brings my day and life into focus. 

It's not like you can no longer quote someone and then reply to add your 'super vital substance' like you did ^

Jerome

6 minutes ago, fantastic_four said:

How does it discourage people from talking to each other?

By giving them a quick and easy way to show appreciation. Sounds good at first but in doing so they miss the opportunity to show the OP what it was they liked, and the OP doesn't get to build any rapport with the person / persons reading their thread. If the system at least told you who liked your post, that would surely help you to feel more a part of a community. Why would you favour anonymity on a community chat forum? 

Anyway, we've both had our say. No hard feelings and sorry if I over reacted. It's one of my least attractive attributes :foryou:

Although I can't be too bad, as I'm currently the 28th topest member on the boards! Maybe that says it all ?

1 minute ago, Marwood & I said:

If the system at least told you who liked your post, that would surely help you to feel more a part of a community. Why would you favour anonymity on a community chat forum? 

That is definitely different than Facebook likes which show you who did the liking when you hover over the feature.

1 1