• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Hide "People in this Conversation" section of PMs
1 1

Question

Please make the top section of the PMs where it lists EVERYONE in a conversation automatically hidden/collapsed. Make it so we open that section up and view it if we like, but not shown by default - ESPECIALLY for mobile view  

Im in a couple PMs that have HUNDREDS of people in them. Every time I open a thread up I'm literally scrolling through dozens of pages of names on my mobile. 

4 answers to this question

• Administrator
On 2/16/2017 at 3:25 PM, RadiantGraphix said:

Please make the top section of the PMs where it lists EVERYONE in a conversation automatically hidden/collapsed. Make it so we open that section up and view it if we like, but not shown by default - ESPECIALLY for mobile view  

Im in a couple PMs that have HUNDREDS of people in them. Every time I open a thread up I'm literally scrolling through dozens of pages of names on my mobile. 

That sounds really painful... HUNDREDS of people in a PM? What's going on there?

It's the ComicSketchArt event facilitation thread. All his previous customers are included in a PM for each group of events he is facilitating for.  That way we get notifications faster. It gets smaller pretty fast but I think it starts off at close to 350 people and people leave the thread as they see fit. 

• Administrator

Is there a reason for it to be a PM? I think for a new thread there's a limit of like 10 people per thread. That's just the default.

But even if I raise that limit, the huge chunk of recipients at the top is annoying.

That's just always how he's done it. Everyone in a PM and then when the people don't want to participate they can Justin leave the conversation. But by using a PM it sends a notification to everyone's inbox when the new set of sketch oops and events starts to be solicitated. It's a great system. I didn't even know people did it in the general signature room for the first year I was on the boards. 

Honestly, it's only really annoying in mobile view because the names are stacked block line items as opposed to in the desktop view they are a chain of inline elements. Much less scrolling.  Also I see that when I click the "next" button to scroll to the next page it auto-orients the next page in a way that avoids the need to  scroll through everyone's names again. So it really only affects users when they load a new conversation, or go to a page for the first time. It would just be nice if there was a way to auto hide the list of people and then require the user to click something to show everyone in the conversation if they wanted. Just not have it shown by default.

1 1