• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

CBCS have gone bonkers

63 posts in this topic

http://scoop.previewsworld.com/Home/4/1/73/1012?articleID=190562

Ok lets go through why this is dumb

1. The comic can get damaged much more over time and the sticker grade will mean mess

2. The reasons myself and many others won't buy a key comic is through fear of resto.

3. If this ever did take off it is easy for anyone with a decent rep to do and undercut its competitor

4. WTF!!! lol

5. Didn't even bother to use a 2D barcode. Used a 1D which is even easier to replicate

3 minutes ago, 1Cool said:

It is an interesting topic but just get rid of the link and change your title to "Should CGC offer grading without encapsulating". 

Now if only I knew how to edit ha

Didn't know that you couldn't even type the other companies name. Happy to edit though and take out the link. But then it would look very odd right?

But it means nothing.  The people who use this will know what the grade was at the moment it was done.  There is no guarantee that will be the grade after further handling, shipping, etc. Other than a way of putting a few more dollars into their pockets, I am not sure how it benefits the collector.  I would not pay any sort of premium if I purchased a graded but not encapsulated book.  It is just a raw book.

I can see some value to this. I'm at a show and want to buy a book. Dealer and I disagree on the grade, We agree to use this service and abide by their decision.

A collector wants to sell his collection but doesn't know how to grade. He sends a sample and gets the results.

I don't see this as anything but a niche, but certainly has some use, in my opinion.

4 hours ago, *matterus023* said:

http://scoop.previewsworld.com/Home/4/1/73/1012?articleID=190562

Ok lets go through why this is dumb

1. The comic can get damaged much more over time and the sticker grade will mean mess

2. The reasons myself and many others won't buy a key comic is through fear of resto.

3. If this ever did take off it is easy for anyone with a decent rep to do and undercut its competitor

4. WTF!!! lol

5. Didn't even bother to use a 2D barcode. Used a 1D which is even easier to replicate

they have this sort of thing in card collecting.  I presume that's what they are going for. 

1 hour ago, shadroch said:

I can see some value to this. I'm at a show and want to buy a book. Dealer and I disagree on the grade, We agree to use this service and abide by their decision.

A collector wants to sell his collection but doesn't know how to grade. He sends a sample and gets the results.

I don't see this as anything but a niche, but certainly has some use, in my opinion.

The more I think about it the more I like the idea especially for the lay person.  Person inherits a short box of books and wants to get them graded before selling them may pay $5 a piece.  But if slabbing cost are $18 then how cheap will grading only have to be to go that route over just getting them encapsulated.  Maybe collectors who just want piece of mind that the books they bought are properly graded but still want to read them will pony up the cash.

Edited by 1Cool

No doubt this thread will go bye-bye so wasting a,post but how is this different from Metro or CL or MCS or others that offer grading services at least I believe those services are offered.  And even buying raw from a dealer who puts a sticker on it with their grade a la Metro, do you trust or agree with that grade?  Not saying CGC is always consistent or that I agree with a grade either higher or lower, but I try to buy the book and not the label.  At least prior to encapsulation I can open the book and inspect and make my own determination.  With all that said, not a service I would pay for.

I think if 3rd party certification for comics started this way, it may have alleviated some of the initial consumer fears- e.g. http://www.milehighcomics.com/tales/cbg02.html 

To go from nothing, to this service would have been better received IMHO. 

But to go backwards from the level of service we have now? I am not convinced.

As a buyer (less frequently seller) of comics, essentially we argue about two things- the condition of the book and the price.

With slabbed books, we can better focus energy to the discussion of price.