• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Comic Keys

31 posts in this topic

hey guys, ive been collecting for about a year now and have some major keys and smaller keys. was wondering what advice you guys would have on what books i should invest in these next few months that will prob increase in price. don't have a ton of money so the big grails are out of the question. thanks guys!

1 hour ago, mgreff said:

hey guys, ive been collecting for about a year now and have some major keys and smaller keys. was wondering what advice you guys would have on what books i should invest in these next few months that will prob increase in price. don't have a ton of money so the big grails are out of the question. thanks guys!

Can`'t really go wrong with these 3.

I will let you decide the grades.

Hulk #181 CGC 

New Mutants #98 CGC

Walking Dead #1 CGC

I have new mutants 98

first punisher

first cable

first cyborg

and a few other keys , but I'm a 20 year old on a fixed income always trying to grow my knowledge and collection before certain books get to the point I can't afford them 

So are you buying then for investment purposed and not necessarily that you like/collect a character(s) or title?  Not being demeaning but the answers could be very different.  And without knowing your price point or there is specific era, condition, etc., it makes it difficult to offer cogent responses.  

You may though consider a higher valued key and work with a seller who accepts reasonable time payments.  Great way to grab a good book - just don't overextend yourself.

If money's tough, my suggestion would be to make sure your bills are paid, and that you have some squirreled away for emergencies.  Investing requires that you allow the investment to mature with time, and no one wants to see you have to liquidate your collection before you've seen any benefit.  There are too many stories of people running up debts by buying books with money they don't have.

7 minutes ago, FineCollector said:

If money's tough, my suggestion would be to make sure your bills are paid, and that you have some squirreled away for emergencies.  Investing requires that you allow the investment to mature with time, and no one wants to see you have to liquidate your collection before you've seen any benefit.  There are too many stories of people running up debts by buying books with money they don't have.

It's very expensive and poor timing to be thinking about entering the key comic book market for those on a limited budget.

As a younger person that has gotten into collecting my advice to you is to spend time studying the market, recent ebay sales. Have a decent idea of what keys in various grades are approximately worth. Then just keep your eye out for deals, even if its not a book that excites you personally selling it and profiting can get you a book that does. Having a good idea of grading helps here too, go search high res scans of books in every grade and try to recognize what puts that book in that category. Being able to tell between a 4.5 and 6.0 can make a huge difference in finding what might be an underpriced book for a grade.

On 2017-02-19 at 1:36 AM, mgreff said:

I have new mutants 98

first punisher

first cable

first cyborg

and a few other keys , but I'm a 20 year old on a fixed income always trying to grow my knowledge and collection before certain books get to the point I can't afford them 

Graded? They are a lot easier to sell at the right time if they're graded already, unless they're readers or w/e. 

Edited by Chadwick

On 2/18/2017 at 11:46 PM, mgreff said:

51 minutes ago, mgreff said:

I don't collect slabs at the moment, I have a lot of my keys at high grades tho. Doing it for collecting purposes not investments

Oh ok

On 2/18/2017 at 7:16 PM, mgreff said:

On 2/18/2017 at 9:06 PM, mgreff said:

I have new mutants 98

first punisher

first cable

first cyborg

22 hours ago, mgreff said:

I don't collect slabs at the moment, I have a lot of my keys at high grades tho. Doing it for collecting purposes not investments

Well, seems as though you are contradicting yourself here as you claim that you are looking for books for collecting purposes, but at the same time hoping to invest in books that will probably increase in price over the next few months.  :facepalm:

Anyhow, since you are only 20 years old, your time frame should probably be much longer than only a few months.  Unless you are really more interested in the day trading of comics will is much more like this  :tonofbricks: