• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Which comic book artists are in your "Mt. Rushmore" ?
2 2

175 posts in this topic

2 minutes ago, drdroom reborn said:

Since it's Mount Rushmore I've revised my list to focus on just the American comic book. From left to right:

Jack Kirby's right hand, with pencil

Jack Kirby 

Roz Kirby 

Jack Kirby's left hand, with cigar.

No love for Eisner ;)

On 3/8/2017 at 8:28 PM, drdroom said:

Since it's Mount Rushmore I've revised my list to focus on just the American comic book. From left to right:

Jack Kirby's right hand, with pencil

Jack Kirby 

Roz Kirby 

Jack Kirby's left hand, with cigar.

I don't mind that list, but I'd go, in no particular order

Kirby

Barks

Miller

Crumb.

The trouble with the last three is that they are important as much for their writing as their drawing.    Drawing alone its really Kirby and then everyone else.

Edited by Bronty

I can only name 3 for Mt. Rushmore: Eisner, Kirby and Adams. 

Each one of them contributed in ways which moved the way in which sequential art is drawn. Eisner introduced the concept of time to panels and their layout (as well as nifty logo's) instead of drawing in stiff boxes. Kirby added a dynamism to the art which infected the field. Adams added greater idealistic realism to the art while using the whole page to advance the story in ways not really done beforehand.

Others, like Barks, Miller and Crumb may be great artists, but can you say they actually changed the direction of the art itself? I'm tempted to add Miller, but does he really advance the field with the grittiness he introduced? Maybe. I've left a blank space on Mt. Rushmore, but there is no reason to be parsimonious with acknowledging greatness. Using that standard of changing the art's direction, who else belongs?

I think if you start with Kirby, Eisner, Moebius & Crumb (my picks this morning) and give it some time you eventually get Miller.  The influences might not be obvious (except Eisner) but I think the other three offered a lot of freedoms that Frank ran with, including anger.   

1 hour ago, glendgold said:

I think if you start with Kirby, Eisner, Moebius & Crumb (my picks this morning) and give it some time you eventually get Miller.  The influences might not be obvious (except Eisner) but I think the other three offered a lot of freedoms that Frank ran with, including anger.   

I'd have essentially the same, swap Ware and Herriman for Miller on mine.

Edited by suspense39
forgot something

For me it would be in order

#1 Neal Adams.  His super realistic rendition of the human form is unmatched.  I also like his layouts.

#2 John Romita.  Although his work is more "cartoony" He kept the right proportions on hid characters and had a beautiful way of drawing faces (Gwen and Mary Jane).

#3 Hal Foster.  Just plain amazing.  His line work is incredible on Prince Valiant

#4  Alex Raymond.  Amazing work on Flash Gordon.