• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Which comic book artists are in your "Mt. Rushmore" ?
2 2

175 posts in this topic

7 hours ago, Rick2you2 said:

I think they are both great artists, but why Mt. Rushmore? For example, what did Byrne do that Adams didn't?

We can all have our own Mt. Rushmore, right? :preach: 

For me, Byrne's work on X-Men, FF, Iron Fist, Captain America and Avengers were significant to my personal comic fandom journey and Byrne's pen defined my preferred images of those Marvel characters.  Neal Adams did the same for DC counterparts like Batman, Superman, Green Lantern, Flash, Deadman, etc....plus "short but stellar stints" on original X-Men, Avengers and Conan.   Frank Miller's work on Daredevil, Wolverine and Dark Knight Returns had a similar impact to Byrne and Adams, but I do credit Miller's impact as writer/storyteller/innovator for much of his appeal to me, so from a purely artistic standpoint, I chose Byrne and Adams.  

It’s a feast of riches trying to narrow down to 4.  I think this is who I’d choose:

1- Frazetta (He’s the Da Vinci of comic and fantasy art)

2- Wally Wood (His line work and shading are exquisite)

3- Will Eisner (Master of sequential art)

4- Steve Ditko (His Warren work or Spider-Man art or Dr. Strange designs, nothing else like it.  Completely original)

5- Jack Kirby (The King, ‘nuff said)

6- John Byrne (My childhood favorite and just epic what he did for virtually every character in comics)

I'll take a slightly different spin at this, if only to have a list that deviates a bit from what's come prior. I think the general consensus of an industry Mt Rushmore would be picking nits from about 6-10 names -- Kirby, McCay, Adams, etc etc. 

So who's the Top 4 for me personally? The ones that delighted me as a kid and wow me today? The ones that have a lot of sentimental attachment and maybe not broad recognition? That makes for a more interesting Rushmore, imo. Those 4, in no special order, are:

1) Paul Ryan. His FF work was seminal for me, and his work for the Big Two during the 90s is a who's who of stories that I deeply love, even if they're not the most well-regarded examples of the medium. 

2) Scott Kolins. I know Infantino is the bar for Flash artists, but Kolins is THE Flash artist for me. 

3) Tim Sale. Long Halloween. Sure I read the dialogue in Kevin Conroy and Mark Hamill's voices, but ye Gods his Batman work...

4) Darwyn Cooke. New Frontier. Parker. The list goes on and on. And gone entirely too young. 

I kind of like the personalized "Rushmore" concept!

Rube Goldberg.....I have three Rubes, no inventions per se, but very cool.

Jack Kirby....I got my Kirby Kamandi years ago, and I'm hanging onto it for dear life.

Ed Hannigan....One of my only convention experiences, very powerful, I was shaking when I got home.

Al Capp....I scored some Al Capp and was later able to ensure the consignor got her fair share, long story.

David

Kirby/Sinnott: (Nuff said)

Ditko: His unique vision of the Web-Head built a foundation that will outlast us all. To be honest, his later stuff almost kept him off the mountain, Speedball or Rom anyone?:

Big John Buscema: ( The body of consistent high-quality output still amazes me  & is really only second to Kirby imo)

Adams: ( Neil not Art ) Even his sub-par work was better than most of his peers best work.

When I was a 16yrs old hands down my response would have been........

Byrne: & comics were one and the same to my generation

Miller:  His art & writing changed my perception of what the medium could be. “You don't get it boy... this isn't a mudhole... its an operating table." 

Perez:  Wow just wow on almost anything he touched in his prime.

McFarlane:  Still remember seeing those wonderful webs for the first time.

Yea I know I cheated :)

Edited by Frank Mozz

17 hours ago, theflashunc said:

Another hot take for this thread: Sal's my preferred Buscema art-wise. (Well, Stephanie is top of the heap, but we're talking just superheroes at this point...)

I had an argument with a friend about this a little while back. My thesis was that John was the more gifted artist but that Sal was the better “comic book” artist. He understood the medium better and his storytelling was more dynamic (at least in my opinion)