• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Which comic book artists are in your "Mt. Rushmore" ?
2 2

175 posts in this topic

7 hours ago, exitmusicblue said:

Frazetta, Everett, Kirby, Jim Lee.  McFarlane honorable mention.  Dell'Otto and Artgerm, future Mt. Rushmore.

I agree a next gen Rushmore is cool.

I love Artgerm, but can you put someone on Rushmore that doesn't really do interiors (I know he did a few, but now he's pretty much covers only)

It's kind of like the argument of if Art Adams should be there, he's one of the top handful of most influential artists ever, but he's done so few issues of comic interiors vs the field.

3 hours ago, Pete Marino said:

I agree a next gen Rushmore is cool.

I love Artgerm, but can you put someone on Rushmore that doesn't really do interiors (I know he did a few, but now he's pretty much covers only)

It's kind of like the argument of if Art Adams should be there, he's one of the top handful of most influential artists ever, but he's done so few issues of comic interiors vs the field.

Since these are unofficial and personalized as all heck... yes.  : )

Subject to change, but at the moment...

Kirby, Moebius, Kojima, Miller

I like expressionism more than strict realism and all of these guys have very distinct and powerful styles. Miller's Ronin almost feels like his take on Moebius-meets-Kojima, but he started to find his own voice around that time and if you look at his Dark Knight/Sin City/300 stuff it's something very different. You can see the transition happening in Ronin, as there are pages where he uses lots of thin lines and cross-hatching and different pages where he uses thick black strokes like in Sin City/300.

I'm not too well-versed on the older generations since I grew up in the 90s, but I want to explore the work of Joe Kubert, Will Eisner, John Buscema, and John Romita Sr. more.

On 4/21/2019 at 1:18 AM, npasto said:

Subject to change, but at the moment...

Kirby, Moebius, Kojima, Miller

I like expressionism more than strict realism and all of these guys have very distinct and powerful styles. Miller's Ronin almost feels like his take on Moebius-meets-Kojima, but he started to find his own voice around that time and if you look at his Dark Knight/Sin City/300 stuff it's something very different. You can see the transition happening in Ronin, as there are pages where he uses lots of thin lines and cross-hatching and different pages where he uses thick black strokes like in Sin City/300.

I'm not too well-versed on the older generations since I grew up in the 90s, but I want to explore the work of Joe Kubert, Will Eisner, John Buscema, and John Romita Sr. more.

Eisner is easy. Just grab some reprints of the Spirit, and check the dates of publication to exclude his service from WW 2. As a bonus, you will get to see some Lou Fine during the War years, and Wally Wood, particularly the Spirit in outer space.

Edited by Rick2you2
Added information.

On 4/21/2019 at 1:18 AM, npasto said:

I want to explore the work of Joe Kubert,

Kubert's best work was done approx. 1958 - 1968.

His one off war stories are probably his best and there isn't, to my knowledge, a single book that reprints it all.  You can get reprints of his Sgt Rock, Hawkman and Enemy Ace and the quality of these is quite high.  Heritage and CAF will allow you to see many, many examples of his originals.