• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Which comic book artists are in your "Mt. Rushmore" ?
2 2

175 posts in this topic

Which comic book artists are in your  "Mt. Rushmore" ? 

For those of you not familiar with Mt. Rushmore, it is a mountain located in South Dakota, U.S.A. where the faces of 4 U.S. Presidents were carved onto the face of the mountain (George Washington, Thomas Jefferson, Theodore Roosevelt, and Abraham Lincoln).

So who are YOUR top 4 comic book artists of all time?  Please remember, this is a top 4 list only.  Lol.

1) Jack "King" Kirby 

He was called the King for a reason.  Co-creator of the most iconic characters in comics history. 

2) Neal Adams

First artist to usher in the hyper realism when drawing comics.  I don't think the classic Denny O'Neill / Neal Adams drug stories from Green Lantern  / Green Arrow  would have had the same impact if the art was cartoony.  Neal's art made the stories more gritty.  

3) Will Eisner

His art was amazing but with "The Spirit", he took storytelling to a new level.  The pacing of his stories, the multi-panel pages.  If you thought Frank Miller was good, who do you think influenced him?   Imagine if Will Eisner wrote and drew Batman?

4) ........  the first 3 spots were easy.  The last spot may have to go to Bernie Wrightson simply because of his work on Frankenstein.  No doubt, the best pen and ink work I have ever seen.  

Good luck in trying to narrow down your list.

Cheers!

N.

Edited by NelsonAI

Kirby

Giraud

Miller

I have no clear 4th head for my Rushmore...Neal Adams and Todd McFarlane both meet my criteria of changing the game and/or defining an era and BWS' artistry are fighting it out.  I'll go with Adams, my least personal favorite here but whatchagonnado? If I was to go on pure personal favorites as opposed to those I recognize as changing the form, I might go something like Moebius, BWS, P Craig Russell, and Mike Mignola with considerations to Tony Harris, Bill Sienkiewicz, Walt Simonson, and JH Williams 3rd.

strip artists

Herriman

McCay

Larson

Schulz

honorable mention...trudeau, capp, raymond and so many others

comic writers

stan lee

alan moore

?

Edited by Bird
added personal favorites bit

Well this is a fun topic. A reminder this is MY personal Mt. Rushmore and not a recognition of the obvious influences of the past.. I feel like I have to qualify that seeing as how Kirby had ZERO effect on me as a comic reader when I started collecting and therefore OA collector, but completely understand he influenced people on my personal list. Also love the idea of adding strip and writers.

COMIC ARTISTS

1. Miller

2. Mignola

3. McFarlane (Yeah, I said it)

4. Perez

(PS - was a tough battle for the fourth spot between Perez and Alex Ross. I give the edge to Perez just because he came first and so is a more "founding father" type.  Also thought about Maguire, but didn't have the body of work)

STRIP

1. Breathed

2. Davis

3. Shultz

4. Watterson

COMIC WRITERS

1. Miller

2. Moore

3. Starlin

4. Sim

1. Alex Ross

2. Sam Kieth

3. Kelley Jones

4. Mike Allred

(I was going to put in the Hernandez Bros in the #4 slot, but I didn't because I just recently started to appreciate them. If I couldn't cheat, I would've chosen Beto over Xaime.)

1. Alex Raymond

2. Al Williamson

3. Neal Adams

4. Alex Ross

its no accident my choices start with a strip artist, and the next 2 also had their influences and careers entwined with comic strips. It helped them learn disciplined draftsmanship and economic and clear storytelling skills.  Ross inherited from them all and many others.

Edited by MYNAMEISLEGION

For me it would be:

1. Neal Adams, his understanding of the human form and ability to translate it to spectacular story telling it tops in my book.

2. John Romita, I love his work on so many titles

3. John Buscema, Avengers, Silver Surfer, nuff sail

4. D ick Sprang, while not necessarily someone would think as a top artist, his would on Batman has a special place in my heart.

Honerably mention:  Norm Breyfogle, one of my favorite "modern" artist.