• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Which comic book artists are in your "Mt. Rushmore" ?
2 2

175 posts in this topic

If I listed all my favourite (American) comic-book artists to have their mug-shots carved, Mount Rushmore would be somewhat overcrowded.  At least Steve Ditko wouldn't feel lonely and could talk to Jack (comparing notes on Stan).

Edited by The Voord

Interesting, I read through a couple pages of this and as far as I could tell no one listed Schomburg...

1.  Jack Kirby - Prolific, Action sequences are amazing, Almost single handed jump started the Hero genre in the 60s.  

2. Neal Adams - Changed the game in the 70s.  

3. Alex Schomburg - Crazy cover layouts that just worked.  A one man Ally propaganda machine.  

4. John Romita - His work on Spidey is just epic.  ASM 39, ASM 50, ASM 67  Classics!  

Honorable mentions:

Matt Baker - His rendering of the female form may be the best in comic history.  

LB Cole - His horror and romance covers are some of the most sought after in collecting.  Instant classics.  (See Mask 1 and Mask 2)

Frazetta - Some of the most amazing covers in the genre.  If he was just a bit more prolific he'd be in my top 4.

The person that I'm kind of shocked i don't see on a single list (that I remember) is Steranko. He's one of the guys I think of that has been as influential as anyone ever (this side of Kirby).  Maybe his body of work isn't big enough?  But damn, if he wasn't way ahead of his time.

2 hours ago, Pete Marino said:

The person that I'm kind of shocked i don't see on a single list (that I remember) is Steranko. He's one of the guys I think of that has been as influential as anyone ever (this side of Kirby).  Maybe his body of work isn't big enough?  But damn, if he wasn't way ahead of his time.

He has been mentioned by some.

I know it has been said that everyone should have their own Mt. Rushmore, but the thing is, there is only one Mt. Rushmore standing as representative for the whole nation.

Kirby would apparently make the list. Anyone else who enjoys majority support? Don't forget, Jefferson wasn't perfect, and neither was Roosevelt (Jefferson as slave holder, Roosevelt as "war monger")(yes, Washington also owned slaves, but that seems to be ignored).

I would add Adams, Eisner and Miller at this point.

3 minutes ago, stinkininkin said:

Woo Hoo!  I made the list!  But if the monument ever gets carved on the side of a mountain, I hope they choose my good side.

Three plus you two as a team, holding to four I guess it would have to be a Two-Face situation.

3 minutes ago, Pete Marino said:

I was thinking more of a quato from total recall situation.

So then a glass back on the mountain, so both sides are viewable? Umm...ok (??)

LOL

I was thinking of In the Mouth of Madness not TR. insufficiently_thoughtful_person ;)

Edited by vodou
Age-related dementia.

Four is extremely difficult...

Eisner, Kirby, Frazetta, Baker or

Fine, Miller, Romita, Schomburg

Can anyone reasonably argue against any of those 8?

Adams, Steranko, Windsor-Smith, Ditko?

Here, this is my Rushmore:

Will Eisner, Jack Kirby, Alex Schomburg, Matt Baker 

I think "the peoples" Rushmore would be Eisner, Kirby, Schomburg, and replace Baker with Ditko, Frazetta, or Adams.

Edited by eschnit

The OP only asked for 4 so as difficult as that is, I’ll simply give my 4 favorites.

Frank Miller - For nostalgia, Ronin and DD. And then DK, 300 and Sin City.

Sam Kieth - For The Maxx and all his beautiful new non-comic related abstract paintings.

Steranko - Outland, Fury and all his noir work.

Dave Stevens - For all the girls I’ve loved before.

Currently, I’m overjoyed to have art from three of them.