• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Detective 27 on Comic Book Men

16 posts in this topic

Did anyone see the drop dead gorgeous ungraded copy of Detective 27 on Comic Book Men last night? I don't know if it was a fake; but if it wasn't it was appalling when Bryan Johnson grabbed it for a photo. It looked to be an 8.0 plus copy if it was the real deal. The guy who brought it in claimed to be a bonded and insured representative for the owner. Couldn't think of a worse way to advertise your services!! I'll just stop by my LCS and see the wastrel Clerks and let them manhandle a Million Dollar Book!!

Of course it is reality TV so I assume it's all fake anyway. If not does anyone know about this copy?

3 hours ago, Robot Man said:

No, I missed it and fell asleep early. That show is real hit and miss (mostly miss)

More like a train wreck!! My brother and I enjoy watching it to see how bad it can get and it rarely disappoints. The boys are from my hometown area so I always get a kick out of watching the shenanigans back there.

I thought, "Has it been restored?" would be an obvious question, but it was never asked.  Sure, it's all staged, but I still cringed when Brian grabbed the book to hold it up for a photo.  Had the situation been authentic, everyone else would've cringed, too.

8 hours ago, showcase22gr1959 said:

Comicbook Men visited the Geppi Museum and Geppi took out the Action 1 for one of the guy to sniff. Hilarious.

Looks like the stresses and headaches of the direct distribution comic book market over the past couple of decades is clearly showing on Geppi.  :frown:

Still seems to have a burning love for the vintage comic books themselves though.  (thumbsu

4 hours ago, lou_fine said:

Looks like the stresses and headaches of the direct distribution comic book market over the past couple of decades is clearly showing on Geppi.  :frown:

Still seems to have a burning love for the vintage comic books themselves though.  (thumbsu

I would think the real estate/financial  issues that plagued him are more to blame than his concern over diamond (actual did quite well, all things considered)

5 hours ago, G.A.tor said:

I would think the real estate/financial  issues that plagued him are more to blame than his concern over diamond (actual did quite well, all things considered)

Yes, forgot all about the collapse of the real estate market right when he started to move into that area.  Was definitely sad to see how he had to sell off many of his long-held vintage comic books during this period of time to keep the cash flow going.  :frown:

On 2/20/2017 at 11:22 PM, lou_fine said:

I'm sure during the 2009-2010 were very stressful for many and him. He's probably doing extremely well now. I believe he made a bid on the 9.0 Action 1 WP a few years back.

I was at the A Stash a few months back.  Out of the 3 Guys that were there they were not friendly (not rude but not friendly) except for Ming.  Didn't buy anything   Not my cup of tea.  Why anyone would bring that book to be on that show befuddles me

We were contacted to appear on an episode. At the time we had copies of Wonder Woman #1, Batman #1, and Superman #1. They wanted to know if we had a raw Fantastic Four #209 we could bring. hm

Edited by gregreece