• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Looking for a Cracked Magazine need some help

27 posts in this topic

I am looking for a Cracked Magazine and need some help.

I think the magazine was a Cracked magazine.

I don't think it was a copy of MAD. The circa I am looking for is late seventies up until early eighties.

The book I am looking for has a photo of real life  gorilla on the back cover. That is all I have to go on. The reason I ask, I stumbled upon a picture of me and my late brother and he is holding a magazine and you only see the picture of the back cover. I will try to post a picture of it, but it is not that clear....plus I look like a geek . lol

I would appreciate any help.

Thanks

Alex

Interesting research project! It's sad that covers and info about Mad Magazine issues can be found all over the internet, but information about Cracked, Crazy and other Mad competitors is really tough to track down.

That said, you can see a gallery of Cracked front covers at the Grand Comic Books Database .  The link is to page 4, which has covers from late 1979 through the early 1980s. You might check the previous page for other issues in the mid-late '70s. Maybe looking at these front covers will trigger your memory a little bit.

I am only assuming that it was Cracked.  I went through the Mad already and didn't find any. I tried that Cracked database and have gone through most of them and nothing.

Do remember it could have been a Giant size or King size Special.

A local comic shop just sold all their copies before I could go through and check all the back covers.  He had most of the run from the time period that I was looking for.  I have tried Ebay as well with some listings that have back cover shots,  still no luck.  I will keep trying. Thanks for the input.(thumbsu

On 2/24/2017 at 3:29 PM, cheta42 said:

I am only assuming that it was Cracked.  I went through the Mad already and didn't find any. I tried that Cracked database and have gone through most of them and nothing.

Do remember it could have been a Giant size or King size Special.

A local comic shop just sold all their copies before I could go through and check all the back covers.  He had most of the run from the time period that I was looking for.  I have tried Ebay as well with some listings that have back cover shots,  still no luck.  I will keep trying. Thanks for the input.(thumbsu

Sounds pretty tricky, especially since you're not entirely sure it's Cracked. What other magazines do you remember reading back then? Crazy? Pizzazz? Bananas? Ranger Rick? National Lampoon? 3-2-1 Contact? CARtoons? Hustler? Okay maybe getting off track here.

Giant-Size or King-Size Special complicates it even more. You'd better tell us all what it is after you solve the mystery!

You did get me thinking about those Cracked magazines. I remember getting a couple of them back then. That was the first time I ever spontaneously experienced a feeling of "brand loyalty" in reaction to something. I could tell Cracked was copying Mad's style, and it bothered me, and I decided to stick with Mad. Though I do think Cracked had some good artists on their staff, and probably some genuinely funny gags. I'd like to go back and track down a few issues and see if my reaction is still the same. It's funny how you can find a magazine or something that you haven't seen since you were literally 10 years old, and then you discover that the memory of some detail is still there, and had been lurking in your brain all those years, waiting to be triggered.

Edited by Doohickamabob

There are woods at the topof the back cover I just cant get the camera to focus well enough to enlarge that part.1 hour ago, wombat said:

After looking at a lot of back covers it doesn't look similar to any I have seen. Meaning just a picture with no words. 

I think it was Cracked and not any of those other magazines you mentioned.

This is what I meant by giant or king size Cracked....

http://www.mycomicshop.com/search?TID=211261

http://www.mycomicshop.com/search?TID=552101

http://www.mycomicshop.com/search?TID=590921

3 hours ago, cheta42 said:

There are words at the top of the back cover but, I cant get the camera focused enough to make the wording visible.....

Now that I look at the picture a little more, why are you certain it's a back cover? There is a roll to it at the side that looks like it could be an interior page folded back while reading.

I was just hoping that someone would know.

I see people asking on the boards with only a verbal description about some books, and someone always can inform what book it was from. I had a picture and nothing. I guess people have a better memory for comic books than magazines. I really appreciate the help and insight.

5 minutes ago, cheta42 said:

I was just hoping that someone would know.

I see people asking on the boards with only a verbal description about some books, and someone always can inform what book it was from. I had a picture and nothing. I guess people have a better memory for comic books than magazines. I really appreciate the help and insight.

Any shows I go to I will definitely be on the lookout. Although if it turns out to be an interior page I'm afraid that will be almost impossible.