Treatment of unwitnessed signed comics
1 1

24 posts in this topic

1 post

I know I'm a little late to the party,  but want to follow up on this part of the answer...

"Your signed comics, if graded, would get our green Qualified label with a notation of "Name written on cover in marker" with no assertion of who may have signed the comic.  By giving your comic our Qualified label, we are ignoring the signature for purposes of the grade. "

Is there no way to mention on the label the name of the signatory?  It wouldn't have to say the person specifically signed it, ie, "Signed by Todd McFarlane",  but say something along the line, "Signature: Todd McFarlane" leaving a little wiggle room for those of us who would like the comics themselves graded, but at least have a mention of who's names are signed on them, but without actually saying the person themselves signed it.  Or maybe doing " Signature: Todd Mcfarlane, not SS authenticated"

18,118 posts

I think you should look at it from the company goal of maximizing the value of the CGC Signature Series brand.  What accomplishes that best? 

3 hours ago, figureaddict said:

I know I'm a little late to the party,  but want to follow up on this part of the answer...

"Your signed comics, if graded, would get our green Qualified label with a notation of "Name written on cover in marker" with no assertion of who may have signed the comic.  By giving your comic our Qualified label, we are ignoring the signature for purposes of the grade. "

Is there no way to mention on the label the name of the signatory?  It wouldn't have to say the person specifically signed it, ie, "Signed by Todd McFarlane",  but say something along the line, "Signature: Todd McFarlane" leaving a little wiggle room for those of us who would like the comics themselves graded, but at least have a mention of who's names are signed on them, but without actually saying the person themselves signed it.  Or maybe doing " Signature: Todd Mcfarlane, not SS authenticated"

13,152 posts
Posted (edited)

RADAC54F2016419_104855.jpg

an example of what can be noted when it comes to signatures inside the comics. I have seen everything from "writing on inside cover" or "name written on inside cover" to this example where it says exactly what is written on the inside cover.

Edited by Artboy99

1,145 posts
Posted (edited)
On ‎7‎/‎10‎/‎2018 at 9:29 AM, figureaddict said:

Perhaps I can shed some light on this one (I hope Bree and the other good folks at CGC don't mind). It was decided many moons ago that when there was an unverified signature on the cover of a book (usually the front cover) that the CGC graders would enter the standard "Name written on cover" notation. As I recall, this was implemented because unless it's a witnessed, verified signature, it's very hard to tell who signed it. For instance, while a Stan Lee signature is relatively easy to spot, some other signatures are virtually unrecognizable. Please bear in mind that the CGC graders are not signature experts; they're simply noting that someone wrote their name on the cover. I suspect that's actually one of the reasons why the signature series was created---because the owner of the book knows (without a doubt) who signed the book and when. I hope this helps you to understand this process a little better... :)

Edited by The Lions Den
Additional info added