• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Your most underwhelming SA key/grail purchase?
1 1

28 posts in this topic

Yea, I got caught up in the live floor HA bidding for the Blue Beetle #1 (Charlton 64) 9.6 in 2015 and plunked down 5k.  I was bummed gpa didn't record that sale and still reflects $2400 as the highest recorded sale, but it ain't.  I clearly overpaid but at least I love the book.  Hope he appears in a Booster Gold movie to save me at some point lol.

1 hour ago, atomised said:

Yea, I got caught up in the live floor HA bidding for the Blue Beetle #1 (Charlton 64) 9.6 in 2015 and plunked down 5k.  I was bummed gpa didn't record that sale and still reflects $2400 as the highest recorded sale, but it ain't.  I clearly overpaid but at least I love the book.  Hope he appears in a Booster Gold movie to save me at some point lol.

The $2400 isn't the highest sale, it's the most recent (last) sale - if you expand out the 9.6 grade you'll see the $5019 sale in the 2015 results :smile:

8 hours ago, gpanalysis said:

The $2400 isn't the highest sale, it's the most recent (last) sale - if you expand out the 9.6 grade you'll see the $5019 sale in the 2015 results :smile:

Thanks for pointing that out!  I did not know you can expand the listing out to get further grades.:blush:

On 2017-02-22 at 1:45 PM, KirbyJack said:

I was surprised how ready I was to let go of my Showcase #4. It was even my Wedding Gift from my wife! (She OKed the sale)

On 2017-02-22 at 1:55 PM, Patriot6 said:

How about grails/keys that you sold that you wished that you had NOT.

Avengers #1! I want you back! :sorry: 

I wish I had not sold my Showcase 4 and 22 - but the money went to a good use and I made a good profit and they went to good homes - but still miss them both :)

Haven't parted with any true SA grails, but the biggest SA book I parted with that I would like back/miss is X-Men #4.

Also, I traded a newer collector once for his Showcase #34 and he called me a week later and asked if I Would undo it. (Deal was fair, and he agreed on that. He got 8 books for it. In the original deal, Just missed his first key.) So I did. And it was good for both of us. He was generous in the trade-back; not a complete undo. 

I wound up acquiring some other good stuff from him since, and passing along some bargain prices on early SA Marvel under copies that he wanted. Good long-term move for both of us.

17 hours ago, Readcomix said:

Haven't parted with any true SA grails, but the biggest SA book I parted with that I would like back/miss is X-Men #4.

Also, I traded a newer collector once for his Showcase #34 and he called me a week later and asked if I Would undo it. (Deal was fair, and he agreed on that. He got 8 books for it. In the original deal, Just missed his first key.) So I did. And it was good for both of us. He was generous in the trade-back; not a complete undo. 

I wound up acquiring some other good stuff from him since, and passing along some bargain prices on early SA Marvel under copies that he wanted. Good long-term move for both of us.

Good for you!  Stand-up move that you were not obligated to do.

20 hours ago, Chillax23 said:

Good for you!  Stand-up move that you were not obligated to do.

Thank you! I thought long and hard about it and wasn't happy at first, but he gave back the biggest 4 of the 8 I gave him and the small cash portion of the transaction, and gave me an ASM #300 instead of the four lesser books from the original 8. So he clearly felt the original deal was fair after all (which was an important consideration to me), he really was just being fickle about parting with the first silver key he acquired. (I've since sold him a Surfer #1 and Strange Tales #135 so it isn't lonely.)

This hobby isn't anything other than reading and art appreciation without camaraderie and friendship, so I figured why not? 

10 hours ago, Patriot6 said:

What was the original trade?

Sorry, looked for my notes but it was a while ago. From memory, I gave him (all raw, most lower grade VGish) ASM #51 and 75 (this book more like a 7.0) bronze and new Dr Strange #1's (nm on the modern), TOS 55 and 59, X-Men 38 and 55 and $25. It was a slabbed 4.0 Showcase 34. I agreed to undo the deal. He then gave me a mid-grade ASM #300 for the two spideys and dr stranges.

9 minutes ago, Readcomix said:

Sorry, looked for my notes but it was a while ago. From memory, I gave him (all raw, most lower grade VGish) ASM #51 and 75 (this book more like a 7.0) bronze and new Dr Strange #1's (nm on the modern), TOS 55 and 59, X-Men 38 and 55 and $25. It was a slabbed 4.0 Showcase 34. I agreed to undo the deal. He then gave me a mid-grade ASM #300 for the two spideys and dr stranges.

Nice! Getting the TOSs back was a win on top of the ASM#300.

Just now, Patriot6 said:

Nice! Getting the TOSs back was a win on top of the ASM#300.

I think he was being generous because he asked to undo a trade. And he had buyers for the Dr Stranges. The mid-grade ASM 300 went to work in a trade for some GA with an LCS.

The best thing is we kept the friendship. Since then, he's gotten pre-Hero Marvels, Surfer #1, X-Men #6 from me; I've acquired TOS 41, Batman 232, Strange Tales Ann. 2 from him. Point is, lots of separate subsequent deals, books both ways, that would not have happened otherwise.

4 minutes ago, Readcomix said:

I think he was being generous because he asked to undo a trade. And he had buyers for the Dr Stranges. The mid-grade ASM 300 went to work in a trade for some GA with an LCS.

The best thing is we kept the friendship. Since then, he's gotten pre-Hero Marvels, Surfer #1, X-Men #6 from me; I've acquired TOS 41, Batman 232, Strange Tales Ann. 2 from him. Point is, lots of separate subsequent deals, books both ways, that would not have happened otherwise.

That is how it should be. Sometimes greed ruins this hobby. A friend of mine traded a New Mutants 98 for a full run of The Nam and regretted it so bad he almost quit collecting.  

8 minutes ago, Patriot6 said:

That is how it should be. Sometimes greed ruins this hobby. A friend of mine traded a New Mutants 98 for a full run of The Nam and regretted it so bad he almost quit collecting.  

Thanks; I agree with you about the effects of greed. It can easily skew one's collecting focus. As much as I love the books, I love the interaction about books with others who love them as well. Without that, "comic collecting" becomes a quite literal and narrow description of the hobby.

I traded a raw F.F. 52 that I owned since 1975 for a MP 15 CGC 9.2 old label, and WWBN CGC 8.5. 

This was way before the rise in FMV on all the books really. I told the boardie I traded with that whenever he wants to sell it back he can. I had remorse the second it left my hands.

It was a childhood book!

Well long story short. He had it graded, came back 8.0. I bought it back for 300.00

Boy was I happy to have that book home.

53 minutes ago, oakman29 said:

I traded a raw F.F. 52 that I owned since 1975 for a MP 15 CGC 9.2 old label, and WWBN CGC 8.5. 

This was way before the rise in FMV on all the books really. I told the boardie I traded with that whenever he wants to sell it back he can. I had remorse the second it left my hands.

It was a childhood book!

Well long story short. He had it graded, came back 8.0. I bought it back for 300.00

Boy was I happy to have that book home.

Nice story... it takes a special mindset to sell things from ones youth, there needs to a major motivational factor... which i have...

figure i can always buy most everything back in the future, but not the exact same issue though like you and your FF 52  !!

Tossed a piece of art on eBay at one of those "wouldn't mind keeping it prices."  The piece sold and I was kind of having second thoughts about but a deal is a deal and the buyer REALLY REALLY wanted it.

Columbia Comics noticed that the page showed up on Comic Link at auction a few months later and was nice enough to alert me to it.

I won it back on Comic Link at auction for a little less than 3/5 of what I sold it for.   (Yeah he REALLY REALLY wanted it.)

:whee:

Edited by Buzzetta