• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Batman 1 2.5 vs Batman 1 3.5

23 posts in this topic

So we have a Bat 1 2.5 with reserve not met that is out performing a Bat 1 3.5 no reserve.

So can I assume the owner or a friend of the owner has pushed the 2.5 to $60K knowing the next bid will trigger the reserve?

I would love either comic in my collection but no way in real world does the 2.5 out shine that 3.5. Or does it?

Bat 1 2.5

Bat 1 3.5

3 minutes ago, Gotham Kid said:

I think the 60K was pushed by Heritage on the CBCS copy. Next bid takes it.

If this is so and it doesn't get that other bid then people will say look a 2.5 by the other guys is valued at $60K. So my CGC in similar grade is now worth?

Bad form on whoever if this is the case. 

1 hour ago, Gotham Kid said:

I think the 60K was pushed by Heritage on the CBCS copy. Next bid takes it.

I know Heritage will push the bidding up to an increment below the reserve, but I thought that occurred just before -- or maybe even during -- the auction.  Could have that wrong, though.

Kind of odd to have a reserve on a GA key in a Heritage auction.  Can't recall many of those. 

3 minutes ago, Sqeggs said:

I know Heritage will push the bidding up to an increment below the reserve, but I thought that occurred just before -- or maybe even during -- the auction.  Could have that wrong, though.

Could be I have it wrong and you have it right.

2 hours ago, Gotham Kid said:
2 hours ago, Sqeggs said:

Could be I have it wrong and you have it right.

Or vice versa! :)

2 hours ago, jgallo said:

Man those are both really nice copies for the grade, I mean really nice, bight covers and all....

James G

Yes indeed, the CGC 3.5 graded copy of Batman 1 certainly does present a lot nicer than its assigned grade.  :cloud9:

A check of the serial number indicates that the book was graded back in the summer of 2016 when the Marc Lasry books were probably going through at the same time.  So many beautiful GA books going though at the same time makes you kind of wonder if CGC had to use some of their less experienced graders during this time period.  Hopefully, they didn't end up drafting the services of the MA graders who are used to looking at newsstand fresh books and graded these GA books the same way.  (shrug)

Just take a look at some of the beautiful looking GA books coming up in the next CC auction and yet, they were all graded in this same range as this copy of Batman 1.  For example, just take a look at that beautiful copy of Detective Comics #1, along with a couple of the pre-Robin 'Tec books.  Besides the fact that they all present much nicer than their assign grade, they were also all graded in the latter half of 2016.  hm

22 hours ago, Gotham Kid said:

The 3.5 will pass the 2.5 by a mile.

21 hours ago, Gotham Kid said:

The 3.5 has started its climb.

16 hours ago, Gotham Kid said:

Bats 3.5 already at 90K and nowhere near closing.

Have you fallen asleep at your play by play switch?  :baiting:   lol

The book is now at $143.4K with the juice, and we still have the live portion of the auction to go in another hour from now.

Since the book definitely presents much nicer than its assigned grade, it now looks like the price is also going to be much higher than normal relative to its assigned grade.  Hey, are bidders now buying the book as opposed to buying the label?  Wow, what a novel idea here. hm  (thumbsu

Edited by lou_fine

6 minutes ago, lou_fine said:

Have you fallen asleep at your play by play switch?  :baiting:   lol

The book is now at $143.4K with the juice, and we still have the live portion of the auction to go in another hour from now.

Since the book definitely presents much nicer than its assigned grade, it now looks like the price is also going to be much higher than normal relative to its assigned grade.  Hey, are bidders now buying the book as opposed to buying the label?  Wow, what a novel idea here. hm  (thumbsu

I'm waiting until it gets to real money and not chump change before I start bidding o.O