• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Baker's Best Covers (Top 10)
6 6

342 posts in this topic

On Wed Feb 22 2017 at 7:50 PM, Ricksneatstuff said:

Ok, now is anyone ready to actually call out a top 10? Or Is someone willing to set up a poll? 

I've had a pole since this thread started.

On 3/22/2017 at 5:28 PM, Dr. Love said:

Diary Secrets #30 3.0 closed at a strong $410 on CC.  I suspect the usual suspects.  Who do we congrat on this one? hm

I'm an under-bidder...  darn.

OK everybody, I actually took an hour this morning :screwy: and put a poll together on this from what this thread has been saying. 

After all of that this site glitched and the poll did not go through. I will mess around with it again another time. That was an exercise in frustration :makepoint:

Edited by Ricksneatstuff

10 hours ago, Ricksneatstuff said:

OK everybody, I actually took an hour this morning :screwy: and put a poll together on this from what this thread has been saying. 

After all of that this site glitched and the poll did not go through. I will mess around with it again another time. That was an exercise in frustration :makepoint:

Bummer! The site has been very unstable the past few days.  I believe Arch thinks they may have fixed it. :wishluck:

On 4/13/2017 at 7:56 AM, Ricksneatstuff said:

I really appreciate the attempt!

It for a very good cause though; so we can all hate each other's inferior choices!!!

I know how pickey you Baker romance collectors are so I thought I'd post this cool one I got off the bay real cheap (bad title, day and time)

What could be more romantic than your babe running off with your stash while you are left to deal with the varmits?

comwestbandittrails3_zpsehyu5ykj.jpg

49 minutes ago, Robot Man said:

I know how pickey you Baker romance collectors are so I thought I'd post this cool one I got off the bay real cheap (bad title, day and time)

What could be more romantic than your babe running off with your stash while you are left to deal with the varmits?

That's a great one I have not seen before. (thumbsu

2 hours ago, Robot Man said:

Obviously, she's off to hire a few gunfighters to help out.  Stopping thinking the worst of people! :baiting:

Found this copy lurking in my PB under an assumed name.

T2eC16hwsE9suw0PlbBSDkoH7WFg60_57_zpse840f76f.jpg

Glad to see these thread revived...but it pains me to see all the broken pic links/photobucket etc., makes it kinda hard to see what other people's opinions are when I can't even tell what books they're talking about.

So at the risk of being branded a heretic, I'm just gonna come out and say my favorite Bakers are the non romance ones.  I respect and like the Baker St John romance stuff, but not enough to buy any of it at today's prices.  But I love love love all his other works, and I see a few things I think missing from the previous discussion.  The problem for me is deciding if the ones I like are even genuine Baker (it's a problem insofar as voting on this list...but not really a problem in that I like what I like regardless of who the artist was, or to what degree Baker contributed to the ones on my little list here.)

1. Seven Seas 4

2. Phantom Lady 13 (PL's face sure looks like Baker...the rest of it, dunno)

3. Phantom Lady 17 (my guess is penciled by Baker, inked by someone else, Feldstein?)

4. Authentic Police Cases 6

5. Amazing Ghost Stories 14

6. Nightmare 13

7. Seven Seas 6

8. Saint #4 (Baker?...CGC says so...Sqeggs says no)

9. Cinderella Love 25

10. All Top 16 (Baker?...JVJ says no...I actually wrote the guy a random email asking him to explain to me why he didn't think it was...he made a compelling case I can relate if anyone cares to hear it....It still looks like something Baker penciled to me, and maybe someone else inked, the face  sure looks like Baker.)

Yeah, photobucket... a Greek tragedy.  The library of Alexandria in ashes.  

At least three of your top ten are on my list, too... (CL #25, Seven Seas #6, and Phantom Lady #17).  

Does anyone else find Phantom Lady #14 suspicious?  Hard to believe it's Baker, imo.  Tiny, awkward hands.  The symmetry of the face just doesn't say, "Baker", at all, though every other source I know of does.  

Yes, I'd like to read JVJ's comments on All Top 16.  (I believe Baker had a hand in it, at least.) 

Edited by 29dukedog