• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Baker's Best Covers (Top 10)
6 6

342 posts in this topic

Here's what I propose, let's make up a list of Baker covers, in no particular order.  Doesn't matter how long the first draft list is, just so long as it includes all the usual classic candidates that we all know would most likely be voted on.  We could add literally any book that anyone asked to be included, even the ones that almost certainly would not end up on the final Top Ten list. 

Then we just start the voting, let it run its course, and finally skim off the ten books with the most votes.  Presto- Top Ten Baker covers, according to an actual election. 

Based on the majority of what has been posted to this point, here's what I believe is a good start.  Just over thirty books.  As I suggested, anything could still be added, but we should probably try to avoid going overboard.  Remember, in the end, there can be only ten. 

Myself, I've never set up a poll, I wouldn't know how.  This is as far as I can move it along.  

All-Top 16
Authentic Police Cases 6, 7, 8
Cinderella Love 25, 27, 29
Diary Secrets 16, 25, 26
Giant Comics Editions 12, 15
Going Steady 10, 12
Jo-Jo 25
Phantom Lady 17, 18, (23...?)
Seven Seas 3, 4, 6
(Pictorial Romances... any nominations?)  
Teen-Age Romances 9, 11, 13, 32, 38, 42, 43, 45
Teen-Age Temptations 1, 2, 8
True Love Pictorial 10, 11
Wartime Romances 8, 17
Edited by 29dukedog
Content added

2 minutes ago, Ricksneatstuff said:

Teen age romances 11 and 45 definitely need added. Jo-Jo 25 for sure!

I have not set up a poll either.  

If someone has the gumption and know how to set it up with all the books that would be awesome! 

SKM_C25817010714210_(1).jpg

Agreed, I'll add those.

What would be really cool would be a thumbnail next to each candidate, so people aren't going, "Which cover is that one again?"  But I realize, that's getting pretty fancy and technical. 

1 hour ago, Ricksneatstuff said:

Teen age romances 11 and 45 definitely need added. Jo-Jo 25 for sure!

I have not set up a poll either.  

If someone has the gumption and know how to set it up with all the books that would be awesome! 

SKM_C25817010714210_(1).jpg

Love Jo-Jo 25, but I think there is something like a consensus that it's not Baker.  Tough to identify who did what with some of this Iger shop work. (Note the lack of an artist credit on the label.) We had a discussion of this cover in the Baker thread a year or two ago, iirc. 

1 hour ago, 29dukedog said:
Based on the majority of what has been posted to this point, here's what I believe is a good start.  Just over thirty books.  As I suggested, anything could still be added, but we should probably try to avoid going overboard.  Remember, in the end, there can be only ten. 

Myself, I've never set up a poll, I wouldn't know how.  This is as far as I can move it along.  

All-Top 16
Authentic Police Cases 6, 7, 8
Cinderella Love 25, 27, 29
Diary Secrets 16, 25, 26
Giant Comics Editions 12, 15
Going Steady 10, 12
Jo-Jo 25
Phantom Lady 17, 18, (23...?)
Seven Seas 3, 4, 6
(Pictorial Romances... any nominations?)  
Teen-Age Romances 9, 11, 13, 32, 38, 42, 43, 45
Teen-Age Temptations 1, 2, 8
True Love Pictorial 10, 11
Wartime Romances 8, 17

I like the idea of a poll, but I also don't know how to set one up. 

Aren't we a useless lot?  Reminds me of a Far Side cartoon... three guys stranded on a tiny desert island with a single palm tree.  One says, "I think there are a few things we need to work out before we start bickering over who's going to fly the airplane."

8 minutes ago, 29dukedog said:

It's that 6th Street copy that I'm still kicking myself over passing on.   doh!

The only book I own from that collection. I'm kicking myself for not buying more. 

Edited by Inaflash

15 minutes ago, Dr. Love said:

There's a lot more kicks where that came from!

uhhh...you know what I mean

I do.  The TR 33 ain't the only one I shoulda bought.  Then there are all those 6th St. books that never made it to market.  So many potential future kicks...

20 minutes ago, Inaflash said:
28 minutes ago, 29dukedog said:

It's that 6th Street copy that I'm still kicking myself over passing on.   doh!

The only book I own from that collection. I'm kicking myself for not buying more. 

The prices sure seemed aggressive at the time.  Not so much now! :)

22 minutes ago, 29dukedog said:

I do.  The TR 33 ain't the only one I shoulda bought.  Then there are all those 6th St. books that never made it to market.  So many potential future kicks...

Been just about two years since the court case was scheduled to begin.  Sure wish I knew how it worked out.  Just about a year ago when I contacted the dealer who brought the books to market, he said: "Sorry, they are lost to us forever as far as I know.  I am only hoping that they are being protected. ... Hopefully they will resurface someday but it's unlikely it will be through me."

Edited by Sqeggs

1 minute ago, Sqeggs said:

Been just about two years since the court case was scheduled to begin.  Sure wish I knew how it worked out.  Just about a year ago when I contacted the dealer who bought the books to market, he said: "Sorry, they are lost to us forever as far as I know.  I am only hoping that they are being protected. ... Hopefully they will resurface someday but it's unlikely it will be though me."

With all that cash still on the table, it seems a guarantee that the owner(s) will find a way to get them to market.  I really think we'll see the rest of them... someday.

1 minute ago, 29dukedog said:
5 minutes ago, Sqeggs said:

Been just about two years since the court case was scheduled to begin.  Sure wish I knew how it worked out.  Just about a year ago when I contacted the dealer who bought the books to market, he said: "Sorry, they are lost to us forever as far as I know.  I am only hoping that they are being protected. ... Hopefully they will resurface someday but it's unlikely it will be through me."

With all that cash still on the table, it seems a guarantee that the owner(s) will find a way to get them to market.  I really think we'll see the rest of them... someday.

Yeah, it's a weird situation.  Could be that whoever got control of them has had his expectations raised to a level that may make it difficult to commit to selling them for fear of being taken advantage of.  I don't know what commission Craig was charging them.  The owner's best bet might be to send them to Heritage.  To maximize the books' value, many of them need to be cleaned and pressed. But explaining that to the owner, including the cost of having it done and the auction commission he'll have to pay, may take some doing.  The legal expenses he's run up probably has further escalated the amount he hopes to clear from the sale.

2 hours ago, Sqeggs said:

Love Jo-Jo 25, but I think there is something like a consensus that it's not Baker.  Tough to identify who did what with some of this Iger shop work. (Note the lack of an artist credit on the label.) We had a discussion of this cover in the Baker thread a year or two ago, iirc. 

You're killing me Tony. I always thought this was a Baker girl. :frown: