• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

NIGHTWING: The Movie directed by Chris McKay (TBD)
1 1

38 posts in this topic

How dedicated is Chris McKay to Nightwing?

NIGHTWING Director Not Leaving Film Unless Fired

Director of the upcoming Nightwing solo movie, Chris McKay, has confirmed that he will not be leaving the project any time soon unless he were to be fired. His comment comes from the fairly high director turnover that the DCEU has been experiencing as of late. Since the announcement of the DC shared universe back in 2014, there has been about a dozen filmmakers that have agreed to helm a movie only to later leave the projects due to either scheduling conflicts, but more importantly, creative differences with the studio.

Between the recent news of Joss Whedon departing the Batgirl project, granted on what seems to be amicable terms, there is now a mad dash to find a replacement. Let’s not also forget that Flashpoint directors Jonathan Goldstein and John Francis aren’t officially on board so that isn’t exactly leaving much faith on the future of DC’s stable of films.

With that being said, we can at least count on McKay sticking around and seeing his film through to the end.

On 2/12/2018 at 2:48 PM, Bosco685 said:
On 2/12/2018 at 1:23 PM, kimik said:

So......this hasn't been cancelled? I thought it was toast due to the lack of any forward looking development for so long.

SURPRISE!

Seeing as I have a nice stack of Tales of the Teen Titans #44s, I am hoping this goes ahead. lol 

DC Comics’ film slate has been a mystery for a handful of years. There were announced feature films, and then hope of a continuation of Zack Snyder’s interpretation of the source materials. Some of those proposed movies, like Blue Beetle, are now heading for HBO Max. Others were presumed dead, lost in the shuffle of Development Hell, never to be heard of again. It’s in that column that I had dragged Nightwing, a feature film once attached to The Lego Batman Movie director Chris McKay. But when he came on CinemaBlend’s official ReelBlend podcast, he confirmed that Nightwing is still on the table at Warner Bros. and DC, and he hopes to begin working on it soon.

"I hope it’s still a reality. I hope that we still get to make that movie. As far as I’m concerned, it’s not lost yet. It is obviously something that… they’ve had other priorities, they’ve had other challenges. They’d had things that they needed to do, and I think that they found their way ,with their recent successes, and the stuff that they are planning on doing now. I think it opens the door for us to still be able to do a Nightwing movie. Whether you call it ‘in an alternate universe’ or you pick in their multiverse universe which universe it’s part of, there are different ways into it. But Nightwing is a big, action-packed, emotional movie. It may not, budgetarily, be similar to what we do with The Tomorrow War. But from a scope and scale standpoint, as far as the kind of action and the kind of heart, that’s what Nightwing is going to be all about."

32 minutes ago, Gatsby77 said:

I don't believe it.

This project's been in development for so long they might as well call it "The Flash."

Oh, I agree too after all this time Nightwing has been forgotten.

But you are still going on about The Flash when the film is actually FINALLY in development? Get back to grading books. :baiting:

37 minutes ago, D84 said:

I hope they do it, eventually. 

Exactly!

A shame that WB Studios had a seasoned director very motivated to move forward and even with that they blew it

2 hours ago, Bosco685 said:

Oh, I agree too after all this time Nightwing has been forgotten.

But you are still going on about The Flash when the film is actually FINALLY in development? Get back to grading books. :baiting:

Due respect, but define "in production."

This supposedly started filming in April.

Really? With only 9 actors listed on IMDB, and no one identified as either Henry Allen (after Billy Crudup dropped out) or Reverse Flash (after it was rumored Mads Mikkelsen replaced Johnny Depp)?

"In production" I'd buy, but I certainly taking "filming" with a hefty grain of salt.

1 minute ago, Gatsby77 said:

Due respect, but define "in production."

This supposedly started filming in April.

Really? With only 9 actors listed on IMDB, and no one identified as either Henry Allen (after Billy Crudup dropped out) or Reverse Flash (after it was rumored Mads Mikkelsen replaced Johnny Depp)?

"In production" I'd buy, but I certainly taking "filming" with a hefty grain of salt.

Andy and Barbara Muschietti are actually filming the movie now, and have been posting non-revealing photos from the set.

TheFlash_BIG.thumb.jpg.68b0aeff740b71be1b75383960011cb2.jpg

She was asked when we will see content from the set as of June 2nd and responded 'SOON'.

TheFlash_BIG2.thumb.jpg.bb5f7e3b826a00312921f53cf692c2ec.jpg

17 minutes ago, Bosco685 said:

Andy and Barbara Muschietti are actually filming the movie now, and have been posting non-revealing photos from the set.

TheFlash_BIG.thumb.jpg.68b0aeff740b71be1b75383960011cb2.jpg

She was asked when we will see content from the set as of June 2nd and responded 'SOON'.

TheFlash_BIG2.thumb.jpg.bb5f7e3b826a00312921f53cf692c2ec.jpg

Yeah - I'm aware.

But think at least some of the timeline's been fudged for PR purposes.

You *really* think we're 8 weeks into principal photography and still have so little information about the confirmed cast, especially with two major roles unfilled (or at least unconfirmed)?

Or did I miss an announcement, esp. re. Eobard Thawne?

6 minutes ago, Gatsby77 said:

Yeah - I'm aware.

But think at least some of the timeline's been fudged for PR purposes.

You *really* think we're 8 weeks into principal photography and still have so little information about the confirmed cast, especially with two major roles unfilled (or at least unconfirmed)?

Or did I miss an announcement, esp. re. Eobard Thawne?

Whatever you are convincing yourself of, no matter what is provided I think you may throw in 'WHATABOUT' to further convince yourself nothing is happening.

Wayne Manor has actually been constructed. There are photos of it, which folks are noting it appears to mirror the Michael Keaton design.

In an exclusive interview promoting Lamya's Poem, Massoud reveals to Screen Rant that he is itching to join one of the superhero cinematic universes, and would love to play Nightwing for the DCEU. He describes having always been drawn to Batman, a character he admits is well established on screen, but sees himself as a better fit for Grayson. The character's story, Massoud says, is well worth telling:

I've been obsessed with Batman, but I think Batman's kind of... it's been done a lot now and it's been done by some fantastic actors. I don't think I can top them in that way, but Nightwing just has a really interesting story [that] hasn't been done before, he’s a little bit younger. So yeah, he's a character I've just always been drawn to.

Chris McKay still wants to make his Nightwing movie, though he hasn't spoken to DC Studios co-CEO James Gunn. Since Gunn and fellow co-CEO Peter Safran took the reins, the DCU has undergone a major shake-up; the duo announced their first stage of projects – part of Chapter One: Gods and Monsters – earlier this year, and the line-up includes the likes of a new Batman and Robin movie and a new Superman film. 

Speaking to SFX Magazine in the new issue, which features Dungeons & Dragons: Honor Among Thieves on the cover, McKay gave an update on the DC film, which centers on MR. Grayson, Batman's former sidekick. The project has been lingering in development hell for many moons – but McKay hasn't given up hope. "Look, I am still hoping to do something with it," McKay says. "Now that James Gunn is involved… I haven't had any conversations with him or anybody over there, but I love that character. I hope I can do something with him. That would be amazing."