• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Market Power of the CGC slab!
1 1

17 posts in this topic

https://comics.ha.com/itm/silver-age-1956-1969-/amazing-fantasy-15-marvel-1962-cgc-vf-85-off-white-to-white-pages/a/7158-91123.s?ic4=ListView-ShortDescription-071515

so this book sold @ auction a few months ago for about $90k- it was not a cgc slabbed book then

im pretty sure its the same Magik Woo copy

someone made a nice tidy quick profit!

Well, here is what I had posted on the AF 15 thread regarding this copy of AF 15:

On 2/23/2017 at 9:50 AM, lou_fine said:
On 2/16/2017 at 0:13 PM, lou_fine said:
On 2/11/2017 at 4:53 PM, SupergirlDC19591 said:

What is the highest price ever paid for a AF15 in CGC 8.5?

I expect that you will receive your answer in 6 days from now as the current CGC 8.5 graded copy of AF 15 is already sitting at over $131K with the juice included.  :gossip:

Guess the consignor of this particular copy did not do so bad after a lot of board members here opined that he had over paid for what was clearly an overgraded copy of this book when he paid $77K for it only a few months in the summer Heritage auction.  (shrug)

Looks like the consignor is going to have the last laugh here and not be the doofus that some members thought he was for picking up this supposedly overgraded copy of AF 15:

https://comics.ha.com/itm/silver-age-1956-1969-/superhero/amazing-fantasy-15-marvel-1962-cgc-vf-85-off-white-to-white-pages/a/7158-91123.s?ic3=ViewItem-Auction-Open-JumpLot-081514

Already at exactly double the price he had to pay for the book only 6 months earlier and we still have the live portion of the auction to go.  A definite win for them, especially in light of the extreme negativism on the boards here about this copy on its first go round with Heritage.  (thumbsu

Probably all of the unfounded extreme negative talk about how the book was clearly overgraded and how it would never be able to hit even into the 8's if graded by CGC, scared off some of the potential bidders and certainly did not help the price of the book when it hit the Heritage auction block the first time.  hm  (tsk)

Edited by lou_fine
Grammer

8 hours ago, VegasJeff said:

How much did it sell for? I don't have an account on that site...

It's in the 1st post but I think it went for even cheaper than that.

As I said when it originally auctioned off, it was a very tightly graded 7.5 IMO and if I had $100K lying around I'd have bought that CBCS 8.5 and tried for a regrade.

Someone was smart, saw the opportunity and capitalized on it. Good for them.

2 hours ago, VintageComics said:

As I said when it originally auctioned off, it was a very tightly graded 7.5 IMO and if I had $100K lying around I'd have bought that CBCS 8.5 and tried for a regrade.

Someone was smart, saw the opportunity and capitalized on it. Good for them.

Roy;

Not exactly sure what you are saying here:  ???

1)  Are you trying to say that the book is a tightly graded 7.5 copy and has simply been improperly overgraded by both companies as a 8.5 copy;  or

2)  Are you saying that the book was a tightly graded 7.5 copy when it was overgraded by the other company as a 8.5 copy, and by some miracle, it is now a 8.5 copy and properly graded as such by CGC.  :screwy:

11 hours ago, VegasJeff said:

How much did it sell for? I don't have an account on that site...

I assume this must be the auction listing you are asking about:

https://comics.ha.com/itm/silver-age-1956-1969-/amazing-fantasy-15-verified-signature-marvel-1962-cbcs-vf-85-off-white-to-white-pages/a/7139-91159.s?ic4=ListView-ShortDescription-071515

This was the book that most board members here stated was clearly an improperly overgraded book by the other company and one that would not hit into the 8's if graded by CGC.  Many members felt sorry at the time for the poor uninformed doofus who had picked up the book since he had clearly overpaid for an improperly graded book.  I guess not so much anymore now.  doh!

Actually, the difference in valuation probably had nothing at all to do with who graded the book.  It's probably all about the detrimental damage done to the valuation of the book due to Stan Lee's signature.  On the first go round, the label clearly identified the fact that Stan had signed the book, while on the second go round, the label conveniently and astutely did not mentioned anything at all about Stan's signature being there.  Ah....the Marvel No-Prize non-value award associated with Stan's signature.  hm  lol

12 hours ago, lou_fine said:

Roy;

1)  Are you trying to say that the book is a tightly graded 7.5 copy and has simply been improperly overgraded by both companies as a 8.5 copy;  or

2)  Are you saying that the book was a tightly graded 7.5 copy when it was overgraded by the other company as a 8.5 copy, and by some miracle, it is now a 8.5 copy and properly graded as such by CGC.  :screwy:

What I'm saying is that the book was a bargain sitting in a 7.5 holder. I thought it would regrade at least an 8.0 upon resubmission.

13 minutes ago, VintageComics said:
12 hours ago, lou_fine said:

Roy;

What I'm saying is that the book was a bargain sitting in a 7.5 holder. I thought it would regrade at least an 8.0 upon resubmission.

Not quite following your line of thinking here as the book was never ever physically sitting in a 7.5 holder as it was graded and slabbed as a 8.5 copy by both of the grading companies.  ???

If you are trying to say that the first sale of the book lines up with what a "lowly" 7.5 graded copy would have normally sold for, and was still seeing money to be made there through a resub to CGC even if the actual grade went down to a 8.0, then that makes more sense.  hm  (thumbsu

Edited by lou_fine

1 minute ago, lou_fine said:

Not quite following your line of thinking here as the book was never ever physically sitting in a 7.5 holder as it was graded and slabbed as a 8.5 copy by both of the grading companies.  ???

If you are trying to say that the first sale of the book lines up with what a "lowly" 7.5 graded copy would have normally sold for, and was still seeing money to be made there through a resub to CGC even if the actual grade went down to a 8.0, then that makes more sense.  hm  (thumbsu

Sorry Lou, typo.

What I do now to navigate the forum is to open multiple windows (one for each thread) and reading multiple threads at once just increases my room for error and typos. doh!

I thought that the book was a bargain sitting in a CBCS 8.5 holder. Early CBCS books seemed to fetch less money than CGC books. That has changed since they've tightened their grading and modified their image. So the book went for a bargain. because I had a strong feeling it would easily regrade at least an 8.0 through CGC.

5 hours ago, NoMan said:

Who is Magik Woo?

Magick was a guy who sought out high end books well before there was slabbing. He sold his collection through Heritage over the years. The AF #15 7.5 being discussed as well as the Susepnse #3 9.0 that sold a few years ago were his.

10 hours ago, VintageComics said:

Magick was a guy who sought out high end books well before there was slabbing. He sold his collection through Heritage over the years. The AF #15 7.5 being discussed as well as the Susepnse #3 9.0 that sold a few years ago were his.

I appreciate you taking the time to answer my question. A Goggle search doesn't reveal much more about him. Any ideas on where I could obtain more info about this collector?

As always, thanks.

23 minutes ago, NoMan said:

I appreciate you taking the time to answer my question. A Goggle search doesn't reveal much more about him. Any ideas on where I could obtain more info about this collector?

As always, thanks.

Magik Woo was a dancer in the 1980's if I'm not mistaken. He appeared on music shows and in dance competitions, which is how how made his living.

I don't think he collects any longer. I believe he is slowly selling off his collection through Heritage. I did a Heritage archives search for 'Woo' and came up with this.

https://comics.ha.com/c/search-results.zx?Nty=1&Ntk=SI_Titles-Desc&Ns=Price|1&N=52+790+231&Ntt=woo&ic4=SortBy-071515

Most of the non-CGC books are his so that will give you an idea of what he used to collect.

I did a Google search and found this thread (albeit on the old forum software)

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=8112374&fpart=1

Now you know as much as I do about him. I have met him a couple of times on West coast trips at shows. He's nice enough to talk to and loved high grade comics, even when he was younger.

25 minutes ago, VintageComics said:

Magik Woo was a dancer in the 1980's if I'm not mistaken. He appeared on music shows and in dance competitions, which is how how made his living.

I don't think he collects any longer. I believe he is slowly selling off his collection through Heritage. I did a Heritage archives search for 'Woo' and came up with this.

https://comics.ha.com/c/search-results.zx?Nty=1&Ntk=SI_Titles-Desc&Ns=Price|1&N=52+790+231&Ntt=woo&ic4=SortBy-071515

Most of the non-CGC books are his so that will give you an idea of what he used to collect.

I did a Google search and found this thread (albeit on the old forum software)

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=8112374&fpart=1

Now you know as much as I do about him. I have met him a couple of times on West coast trips at shows. He's nice enough to talk to and loved high grade comics, even when he was younger.

thanks