• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

So I tried inserting a comic into a top loader...
2 2

33 posts in this topic

So here's my story as to why I won't be using top loaders again. 

I didn't eat much for lunch and decided to grab a beer.  Excited, I open the package and to my surprise it's my Slapstick #3 Variant 1:25. Definitely looks like 9.8+ worthy, not a single flaw.Yes!! Finally, the Ebay Gods did me right I thought.  Not trusting myself, I quickly decided to place it into one of my available top loaders. Why I did this, I will never know. As soon as I got a third in, boom! scrunch! I watched in horror as my rare comic (to me at least) turned into an accordion like something you would see on the 405/110 split here in Southern California. 

I'm optimistic that CCS can press out the small spine stresses. Anyone else have a similar story or noob moment to share?

Edited by Ovrclck

23 minutes ago, Ovrclck said:

So here's my story as to why I won't be using top loaders again. 

I didn't eat much for lunch and decided to grab a beer.  Excited, I open the package and to my surprise it's my Slapstick #3 Variant 1:25. Definitely looks like 9.8+ worthy, not a single flaw.Yes!! Finally, the Ebay Gods did me right I thought.  Not trusting myself, I quickly decided to place it into one of my available top loaders. Why I did this, I will never know. As soon as I got a third in, boom! scrunch! I watched in horror as my rare comic (to me at least) turned into an accordion like something you would see on the 405/110 split here in Southern California. 

I'm optimistic that CCS can press out the small spine stresses. Anyone else have a similar story or noob moment to share?

Did you have the top loader upside down?

This is why I let gravity be my friend when inserting any books into any bag/board or top loader. If it doesn't easily slide down with gravity doing all the work & my hand there to guide it only, I stop.

Sucks to hear dude. Hope your book isn't too messed up.

1 hour ago, Doktor said:

This is why I let gravity be my friend

This is my approach to drinking beer. "Let the bottle do the work."

Having used literally over a thousand top loaders over the last few years the only way this happens is from pushing the book into the top loader with to much force that the book bent forward causing the crease. Was the top loader not big enough to accommodate the board? The board seems rather large for the modern book, looks like a golden age sized board in the first 2 pics, the 3rd pic looks like a silver age bag/board.

From what I see it is a color breaking tick and I do not think pressing will remove it.

http://www.comicartfans.com/galleryroom.asp?gsub=180716

See my latest pages  https://www.cgccomics.com/boards/topic/167387-original-art-and-recreations/?page=4

th_The%20Killing%20Joke_zpsnofn1qkc.jpgth_Incredible%20Hulk%20181_zpsijmg2iaw.jth_Detective%20880_zpsuvuymszu.jpgth_MDS00156_zpsiwxj9fek.jpgth_MarvelComics1fullcolorart_zps10cb6cbbth_TheWalkingDead_INKED-1.jpgth_Colorfinish_zps31571c15.jpgth_Batman%20700_zpsxtojdoz7.jpg

34 minutes ago, Artboy99 said:

Having used literally over a thousand top loaders over the last few years the only way this happens is from pushing the book into the top loader with to much force that the book bent forward causing the crease. Was the top loader not big enough to accommodate the board? The board seems rather large for the modern book, looks like a golden age sized board in the first 2 pics, the 3rd pic looks like a silver age bag/board.

From what I see it is a color breaking tick and I do not think pressing will remove it.

See my latest pages  https://www.cgccomics.com/boards/topic/167387-original-art-and-recreations/?page=4

th_The%20Killing%20Joke_zpsnofn1qkc.jpgth_Incredible%20Hulk%20181_zpsijmg2iaw.jth_Detective%20880_zpsuvuymszu.jpgth_MDS00156_zpsiwxj9fek.jpgth_MarvelComics1fullcolorart_zps10cb6cbbth_TheWalkingDead_INKED-1.jpgth_Colorfinish_zps31571c15.jpgth_Batman%20700_zpsxtojdoz7.jpg

Unfortunately, based on the photographs, I agree that its looks like a cb spine tick. If so, I also agree that a press will not remove the CB.

53 minutes ago, Artboy99 said:

15 minutes ago, Tec-Tac-Toe said:

Unfortunately, based on the photographs, I agree that its looks like a cb spine tick. If so, I also agree that a press will not remove the CB.

That's a bummer. I appreciate everyone's take on this. 

1 hour ago, Jerkfro said:

The key lesson here is never insert your thing into something tight.

Wait, that can't be right

As Funkadelic instructs us: If it don't fit, don't force it.