• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Incredible Jon Berk Collection Hits the Auction Block
1 1

120 posts in this topic

6 hours ago, vodou said:

I love those Schomburgs. Shame about this hobby, it doesn't reward "cool" on it's own merits but instead only in the context of nostalgia. Fight that gravity at your own financial peril ;)

The bright side is that something that's "cool" but lacks sufficient nostalgia can often be had for a much more reasonable price.    And while nostalgia - by definition - has an expiration date, "cool" can endure for generations.   

Edited by Babin

6 hours ago, Babin said:

The bright side is that something that's "cool" but lacks sufficient nostalgia can often be had for a much more reasonable price.    And while nostalgia - by definition - has an expiration date, "cool" can endure for generations.   

True. Which is the only reason off-brand Schomburgs hammer at more than hunnies. But that doesn't 'save' those that spent a lot more and may not have gotten enough enjoyment-utility out of ownership to close the gap ;)

Jungle 1 is a very nice cover. A lot of exceptional GA is out there, more than most would imagine in the abstract, which is what makes owning the 90s Sotheby's and Christie's catalogs such a must! Window-shopping is free.

18 hours ago, Bronty said:

You sure this one is Schomburg? 

1 hour ago, J.Sid said:

You sure this one is Schomburg? 

I see no reason why it wouldn't be and the auction describes it as such?  Do you know something I don't?

The inking isn't his typical, I get that part.    Maybe another hand in it?   But I can't pretend to know and am just going by the auction description.

Edited by Bronty

2 hours ago, Bronty said:

I see no reason why it wouldn't be and the auction describes it as such?  Do you know something I don't?

The inking isn't his typical, I get that part.    Maybe another hand in it?   But I can't pretend to know and am just going by the auction description.

There has long been doubt surrounding that cover.  I think the consensus is that it's almost surely not all-Schomburg, and some believe that he didn't touch it at all.  I see elements of Schomburg myself, but couldn't say for sure if he definitely was involved or if Avison or someone else was just aping his style.

IIRC, that cover has changed hands at least twice since the sale you cited, and continues to be valued at a steep discount to verified Schomburgs because of the uncertain attribution.

I think those All New, Speed and Green Hornet covers by Schomburg are criminally undervalued.  If Wally Wood Weird Science covers can fetch big money for being cool/well-drawn (as opposed to featuring well-known, recurring characters and tying into nostalgia), I don't see why any of these iconic Schomburg WWII covers should sell for less than, say, that Defenders cover in the last HA sale where the artistic attribution wasn't even clear. :screwy:

Edited by delekkerste

21 minutes ago, delekkerste said:

There has long been doubt surrounding that cover.  I think the consensus is that it's almost surely not all-Schomburg, and some believe that he didn't touch it at all.  I see elements of Schomburg myself, but couldn't say for sure if he definitely was involved or if Avison or someone else was just aping his style.

IIRC, that cover has changed hands at least twice since the sale you cited, and continues to be valued at a steep discount to verified Schomburgs because of the uncertain attribution.

I think those All New, Speed and Green Hornet covers by Schomburg are criminally undervalued.  If Wally Wood Weird Science covers can fetch big money for being cool/well-drawn (as opposed to featuring well-known, recurring characters and tying into nostalgia), I don't see why any of these iconic Schomburg WWII covers should sell for less than, say, that Defenders cover in the last HA sale where the artistic attribution wasn't even clear. :screwy:

thanks Gene.

I agree regarding them being priced cheaply compared to bronze marvel and such, and I'm not just blowing smoke because you own a green hornet cover ;)  

20 minutes ago, delekkerste said:

I'm the farthest thing from an expert, but I do have eyeballs. On this one cover he happened to forget which direction the fire tips are supposed to point. Compare with his other covers from the series and/or covers he did featuring the Human Torch and you'll see what I'm talking about.

Also, hands, legs, faces are a bit wonky. There's an atypically small amount of background detail. These could all be attributed to a different inker though, while the fire tips cannot.

Schomburg signed a lot (though certainly not all) of his covers. If this one had a signature it would have a better case.

Some guy who I never met and whose name I cannot remember was reportedly an expert at identifying GA artist's work and the trick, when it can be applied, is to look at the ears on the figures. Everyone draws ears in their own fashion and it is an easy shorthand once you know what you are looking for.

Not sure it is relevant but I thought it was a nice tip to pass on. I was a collector of comic art for years before I started really looking at line work closely and thought this was genius when I heard it. 

Edited by Bird

Hello Comicbook Fans,

We can’t wait to see everyone Saturday night right after the NYCBM show!

Mr. Jon Berk will be making an appearance here at Metropolis Gallery to christen his collection into the marketplace. It will be a memorable evening filled with friends, wine, hors d'oeuvres, reminiscing, discussions about comic art, and of course comicbooks.

The opening will be this Saturday, March 11th from 7pm-10pm with complimentary hors d'oeuvres and beverages at Metropolis Gallery, 36 w. 37th St., 6th Floor, New York, NY 10018.  After the opening, the gallery will reamin open to the public Tues–Fri, 11:00am – 5:00pm until June 2nd.

The gallery is open to all, if anyone has any questions, please feel free to contact us at 1-800-229-6387.

Cheers,

Metropolis Collectibles, Inc.

& ComicConnect, Corp.

36 W 37 ST, Fl. 6

New York, NY 10018

848d3319510e9f421493b31429539f92.jpg

Great show, great snacks, great conversations, and too much great, unbelievably rare GA art. If you are in the NY area, you should make the trip in to see these lots in advance of the auction. What a collection!

Planet 1 does not disappoint in person.

I was at ComicConnect today and got to see the art first hand. Honestly I'm not a longtime collector and don't know much of the history with the pieces but I was overwhelmed with the collection. It was awesome to see it hanging on the walls. I enjoyed seeing all the boxes and boxes of comics getting ready for auction. Just by the size it looks to be a good one and can see this auction making some collectors happy :)

19 minutes ago, HandsomeVanzant said:

Hi all, 

Catalogs are on their way out this week!  Just in case you didn't know, all the art in auction is up and accepting bids! 

M17E7zD.jpg 

eUrS1Il.jpg

Can't seem to find that Batman 210 cover in the auction. Is the collection going to be auctioned over multiple auctions?

4 minutes ago, RICKYBOBBY said:

Can't seem to find that Batman 210 cover in the auction. Is the collection going to be auctioned over multiple auctions?

All of the art on display in that photo belongs to the Metropolis principals - not part of the Berk collection.

It's the catalog-packed envelopes that you're supposed to be looking at!

Edited by delekkerste