• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Incredible Jon Berk Collection Hits the Auction Block
1 1

120 posts in this topic

On 2/24/2017 at 11:43 AM, delekkerste said:

Interesting snippet from a 2005 interview with Berk

There are three practices that I think discourage the market from finding its own level. I have written letters of suggestion to certain companies, but to date, have not received a single response.

1) Not acknowledging when the auction house owns the material, which allows them to set artificially high reserves.

2) Letting employees bid. That, to me, seems a conflict of interest.

3) Not showing that the reserve price has been met in a Web auction. Often, just before an auction closes, the bid will jump sharply, a strong sign that the house is trying to goose bidding closer to the reserve. It detracts from the process and discourages me from bidding.

On 2/24/2017 at 1:37 PM, buttock said:

Does this mean Steve Fishler and Vincent Z will not be allowed to bid in the auction?  It's not exactly a secret that the Church Fantastic 3 is one of Steve's grails.  

Buttock raises a really good point. Maybe a boardie with some clout (which disqualifies me) could put this question to CC directly. The idea of bidding against Fishler or Zurzulo does not sound right at all, on several levels.

One thing I found interesting from the Forbes interview over 10 years ago is the  values he attached to his artwork.    He pegged the Planet 1 cover at 150k back then, and the All New 8 at 25,000.   

What would you guys peg those at?    I'm not sure Id peg the Planet 1 cover much differently today.    I'd probably peg the All New at 50,000 as it's a great image.  

26 minutes ago, Bronty said:

One thing I found interesting from the Forbes interview over 10 years ago is the  values he attached to his artwork.    He pegged the Planet 1 cover at 150k back then, and the All New 8 at 25,000.   

What would you guys peg those at?    I'm not sure Id peg the Planet 1 cover much differently today.    I'd probably peg the All New at 50,000 as it's a great image.  

I could see the Planet 1 going higher than $150k, $200k to $250k wouldn't surprise me.  I also think the All New would hammer higher than $50k.  I would swag $75k+  Just a note, I am not a contender for either of these items so the numbers are wild azz guesses.

thanks.   Still, 10 years ago!   I'm not sure they've gone up all tho

10 minutes ago, batman_fan said:

I could see the Planet 1 going higher than $150k, $200k to $250k wouldn't surprise me.  I also think the All New would hammer higher than $50k.  I would swag $75k+  Just a note, I am not a contender for either of these items so the numbers are wild azz guesses.

The problem with the Planet, as I see it, is it is far from Fine's best image.  

The problem with the All New, as I see it, is that its an issue of All New... Put that same image on a captain america or marvel mystery cover and holy toledo now you have something.

Now let's be clear, I wish I had "problems" like that.    Limiting factors on value is a better description.

Edited by Bronty

On 2/27/2017 at 7:21 PM, Bronty said:

thanks.   Still, 10 years ago!   I'm not sure they've gone up all tho

The problem with the Planet, as I see it, is it is far from Fine's best image.  

The problem with the All New, as I see it, is that its an issue of All New... Put that same image on a captain america or marvel mystery cover and holy toledo now you have something.

Now let's be clear, I wish I had "problems" like that.    Limiting factors on value is a better description.

I agree that the planet 1 isn't Fine's best cover so what should someone do, wait for his top cover to show up?  Does what people consider the top cover even exist?  

For the other cover, it is one of the classic SB covers. I would think a lot of folks would be chasing it up to $50k. Above that and it may thin out but under $50k and even I am a contender. 

4 hours ago, batman_fan said:

For the other cover, it is one of the classic SB covers. I would think a lot of folks would be chasing it up to $50k. Above that and it may thin out but under $50k and even I am a contender. 

I agree.. I'll take the over on that one.

You guys are probably right and 75 is probably a better guess.   However, I'm reminded of a couple of schomburg covers selling in the not that distant past that really didn't go for as much as they "should" have - I want to say they were in the low 20k's, so I'm hesitant to go too crazy on the prediction.    Again, a lovely image... but a third tier title.

19 hours ago, batman_fan said:

I agree that the planet 1 isn't Fine's best cover so what should someone do, wait for his top cover to show up?  Does what people consider the top cover even exist?  

IIRC, the covers to Hit 5, 11, and 17 all exist.  Those would trump Planet 1 IMO and are all considered classics.  I love Hit 6 and that was recently offered and finished in the mid-60s IIRC.  I would expect the Planet to go higher just because it's a key issue, but Planet 1 is also Eisner and there are some Eisner fans with deep pockets.  My guess is $80-110K.  

I love those Schomburgs. Shame about this hobby, it doesn't reward "cool" on it's own merits but instead only in the context of nostalgia. Fight that gravity at your own financial peril ;)

8 hours ago, buttock said:

IIRC, the covers to Hit 5, 11, and 17 all exist.  Those would trump Planet 1 IMO and are all considered classics.  I love Hit 6 and that was recently offered and finished in the mid-60s IIRC.  I would expect the Planet to go higher just because it's a key issue, but Planet 1 is also Eisner and there are some Eisner fans with deep pockets.  y guess is $80-110K.  

At the end of the day, it will be interesting to see where stuff lands.  Up to a certain price point I will be in the mix so I hope peoples low estimates are correct, I would love to snag one of his GA pieces for my collection. :wishluck: