• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Incredible Jon Berk Collection Hits the Auction Block
1 1

120 posts in this topic

12 minutes ago, zhamlau said:

wow, whats the significance? That seems like a ton for a bronze age colan Half splash howard.

No significance...just a cool, splash-y page.  Plus, framed up (everything looks more expen$ive in a frame!) and part of a high-profile single-collection sale. 

11 minutes ago, zhamlau said:

wow, whats the significance? That seems like a ton for a bronze age colan Half splash howard.

Howard pages are all over the place, but not THAT all over the place.  I have no idea why it went that high.  It's a very good page, but sheesh. 

Just now, glendgold said:

If I sell any Howard artwork, I now know how to do it.

No Doubt, I just sold a howard half splash by colan last week and got like 20% of what this guy got for his. This hobby is goofy sometimes.

8 hours ago, delekkerste said:

My tracked GA lots:

All New Comics #8 Cover (Schomburg):  $66,000

Archie Comics #4 page (Sahle):  $4,321

Hit Comics #22 Cover (Fox):  $9,300

Pep Comics #30 Cover (Montana):  $61,777

Phantom Lady (2nd series) #2 Cover (unknown):  $18,888

Planet Comics #1 Cover (Fine):  $146,444

Pocket Comics #4 Cover (attrib. to Joe Simon, might be Avison):  $19,600

Police Comics #9 Cover (Fox):  $15,900

Speed Comics #22 Cover (Simon):  $32,200

My tracked GA lots:

All New 7 pg 23 (Fujitani attrib; The Zebra) $803

Cap 9 page 36 (Kirby/Shores): $14,011

Master Comics 1 pg 1 (Newt Alfred, 1st app & origin of Master Man): $5,272

Daredevil Comics 10 pg 4 (Bob Wood, colored by unknown): $3,433

Hello Pal 1 pg 3 (Charles Sultan, Yankee Doodle Jones, big skull panel): $940

Master Comics 22 pg 21 (Phil Bard, Minute Man action page): $750

Military Comics 15 pg 15 (Crandall Blackhawk page): $3400

Rex Dexter of Mars 1 cover recreation ( Briefer 1980): $1951

Slam-Bang 3 pg 59 (Lee Granger, Jungle King): $702

Smash 33 pg 62 (Alex Koda, The Marksman): $420

Twice-Told Tales unpublished cover (Joe Kubert): $1900

Been too busy lately to follow this auction, and to be honest, very little of what was offered was exactly what I like to collect even if it was high quality.  So having read through the comments here, is the consensus that this collection did about as expected in prices realized?  No big surprises on the up or down side (other than the Colan HTD splash, lol)?

Scott

1 hour ago, drdroom reborn said:

My tracked GA lots:

I really like that cap page at 14k

1 hour ago, drdroom reborn said:

My tracked GA lots:

So'd you get any of them?

Edited by Weird Paper
Typo

1 hour ago, stinkininkin said:

Been too busy lately to follow this auction, and to be honest, very little of what was offered was exactly what I like to collect even if it was high quality.  So having read through the comments here, is the consensus that this collection did about as expected in prices realized?  No big surprises on the up or down side (other than the Colan HTD splash, lol)?

Scott

I was mainly tracking golden age art.  I didn't win anything despite bidding more aggressively than I typically do.  This vintage of art went for very strong prices across the board, IMO.  A lot of it went for 50-100% more than similar stuff has sold for recently on Heritage or Clink.  That applies mainly to panel pages, but I think that a lot of his panel pages were either higher quality or rarely seen items/artists.   The covers and splashes went for closer to what I'd expect, covers being right in line with expectations (except the Planet 1, I really didn't know what to expect on that, but I'm not surprised at the price at all).  The splashes were maybe 10-20% higher on average.  

7 hours ago, drdroom reborn said:

I did, as a matter of fact, thanks for asking!

All New 7 pg 23.png

Master Man 1 pg 1.png

Sweet! I love the idea that something still exists from Master Comics #1! And those Zebra pages were gorgeous! I was underbidder on one of the others, but it wasn't my main focus.

2 hours ago, Weird Paper said:

Sweet! I love the idea that something still exists from Master Comics #1! And those Zebra pages were gorgeous! I was underbidder on one of the others, but it wasn't my main focus.

Because your main focus was....?

21 hours ago, zhamlau said:

OK...I bought it, actually my third Colan HTD page.  

Recently sold my two panel pages to unsolicited offers (one sold above this price), so I targeted this half splash with Beverly to fill the void.   It's a quality example with all duck panels, which are scarce, let alone one with all duck+Beverly panels.  Had hoped it would hammer lower but perfectly fine with the price...would have bid to 5k.  Now, I have restored my HTD trifecta with pages from Brunner, Colan and Golden.

Possibly, HTD appearance in GOTG/GOTG2 and other movie rumors are fueling enthusiasm for limited HTD material, as well as hefty prices being realized for 1970s Colan art (DD, Defenders, Iron Man, Tomb of Dracula, etc).  

On 6/13/2017 at 1:36 PM, adamstrange said:

There were two recreations done of Mask 1 as another one sold (iirc, on comiclink) for approx $8k.  This was the first time I saw a duplicate recreation.

I don't recall the other Mask 1 recreation.  I thought this was the only one.

In CBG, Cole advertised that he would do recreations in one of three sizes... I believe 1x, 1.5x and 2x, if I'm not mistaken.  I've never seen two of the same cover (in the same or different sizes).  This is just my observation and am curious if others have seen two of the same cover.  

So, it seems like the general line of thinking is that OA prices realized for this auction were on the upper end/ above upper end expectations.

just wondering if the results would have been even higher if these pieces were offered on a more user-friendly auction site?

10 minutes ago, jjonahjameson11 said:

So, it seems like the general line of thinking is that OA prices realized for this auction were on the upper end/ above upper end expectations.

just wondering if the results would have been even higher if these pieces were offered on a more user-friendly auction site?

I had no problem with the site. I do wonder, though, where the offset is between a site like CC where there is no buyer's premium or sales tax (out-of-state) and an auctioneer like Heritage with more traffic but a fee/tax bump of almost a third over the hammer price.  

Edited by Weird Paper
correction